A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 17th June 2013, 03:19 AM

Easy answers first will update the others later today;

Did you modify the charger snout to shorten it (where the pulley mounts)?
No the snout is standard length for the unit that i have (see details below)

Is the charger an Eaton M112 unit?
Sort of yes, it is the Jaguar/Land Rover version of the M112, fundamentally they are the same just I believe it is the back of the unit where the air enters that is a bit different, and the mounting brackets on top (bottom on mine) that are different.

Did you have a pulley machined for it, or was it the correct offset/number of ribs? No this is standard for the Jaguar version.

If so do you have the stock crank pulley in place or a different diameter one for your desired boost level? We calaculated on the basis of the maximum rpm of the supercharger rather the desired boost pressure, in an ideal world the pulley would be a bit bigger to help reduce the amount of heat generated but at this ratio it is safe and works well, it could do with being a bit lower on the boost pressure maps to be more efficient. Having looked online before it was easy enough to get a smaller pulley as they are readily available as tuning modifications but I think I'd be the only person trying to fit a bigger one
Old 17th June 2013, 06:01 PM

All good answers so far.

To give you some idea of why I'm asking such questions, I've found that BMW guys with the M62 are retrofitting a Cadillac charger based on the Eaton M122 onto their cars. They're ridiculously cheap here and have integrated chargecoolers in the manifold. My only real concern is charger height with the integrated coolers and our limited underhood space. I've got another thread that I started on the subject but am trying to have some discussions with people who have charged a D2 or a 4.2 before I move forward on the project.
Old 17th June 2013, 06:33 PM

the range rover also has integrated charge coolers but I think they are far too bulky to fit them in.

Old 17th June 2013, 06:51 PM

Yeah, that's much too large. These use what's known as laminova coolers, they're small and round, GM uses them a lot, as well as some Spec racing series require them for charged cars. It's a compact design, I just fear it's a bit too tall. I can get them brand new for $600 USD. That's roughly 380 Pounds GBP. They're good for 470hp on the Cadillac. and with a pulley change or different drive ratio are capable of much more.
Old 18th June 2013, 08:50 AM

They look very neat, I suspect they could fit in ok.

Bonnett clearence or hood clearence as you crazy folks call it is the most difficult to guage. Originally I used a sealed rubble sack which I then sprayed expanding foam into and allowed it to set giving me a cast on the underside of the inlet manifold and on the top side the hood, giving me the exact distance i had to play with. At the moment I would say the combined supercharger and inlet manifold are no higher than the original but I would need to repeat the process to give you a proper measurement. (The hood soundproofing was removed before I started to maximise the space)
Old 18th June 2013, 09:57 PM

Added a short video/sound clip
Attached Files
File Type: wmv A8 Supercharged.wmv (5.09 MB, 454 views)