A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 10th October 2012, 10:27 AM

Default D3 Headlight goes pink!

I've had a quick scan of the forums and think my nearside healdight bulb is on it's way out as it's colour shifting. There has been a very intermittent problem with it cutting out going up the short term car park ramp at heathrow but only then (adaptive light issues?) So I'm going to change the bulbs first and have found some reasonable instructions on how to do this.

But I need to make sure I'm getting the correct bulbs first, am I right in assuming all D3 had Xenons? (what are bi-xenons then?) Can I order any D2S bulb off ebay? Web comments seem to recommend 6000K colour temp but are there any other things to check - prices seem to go from £3.99 to £139!

Thanks

Jas
Old 10th October 2012, 12:06 PM

Yes, any D2S should be OK. My current ones were 6000K and £12.99 a pair and they are 95-100% as good at the £89 Philips 85122+ I used before.

How easy they are depends on engine configuration, but the one behind the airbox was easy enough with a mirror and torch, but after 1 hour of struggling on my power steering tank side, I removed the wheel arch liner and did it from underneath which was much easier and that only took 20-30 mins start to finish after that. The first time, I disconnected the power steering tank pipe and removed it as the instructions I had said to do that, but I didn't the second time.

Bi-xenon is when the main beam and dip share the outer lamp and a shield moves up inside the lamp for main beam. The inner lamp is used for DRL and has a PY21W bulb on - 2006 and 5xLEDS 2006 - on. If you don't have bi-xenon the inner lamp is main beam. Changing the bulb is the same and it is still a D2S.
Old 10th October 2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8Jas View Post
I've had a quick scan of the forums and think my nearside healdight bulb is on it's way out as it's colour shifting. There has been a very intermittent problem with it cutting out going up the short term car park ramp at heathrow but only then (adaptive light issues?) So I'm going to change the bulbs first and have found some reasonable instructions on how to do this.

But I need to make sure I'm getting the correct bulbs first, am I right in assuming all D3 had Xenons? (what are bi-xenons then?) Can I order any D2S bulb off ebay? Web comments seem to recommend 6000K colour temp but are there any other things to check - prices seem to go from £3.99 to £139!

Thanks

Jas
For what its worth I've just put 6000K D2S's in my Xenons on the D2 as one was feinter than the other, and very happy with the colour / brightness

I went with we-sell-hids on ebay and a pair of 2 cost £13.95 with free postage. The genuine phillips ones were £30 each cheapest at hids4u.co.uk so I thought I would try these and see how I get on both quality and length of service wise

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 10th October 2012, 12:27 PM

Brilliant thanks, My main beam is the same light as dipped (outer) so that's bi-xenons then. I will try the DS2s from Ebay and might do the DRLs as well as I'm sure they aren't LEDs as they colour is too yellow and dim... I have them turned of at the moment. Will go for the 6000k versions too.
Old 10th October 2012, 01:04 PM

Having tried aftermarket HID's in 4300k, 5000k and 6000k with the Chinese aftermarket HID kit I have to say that 4300K is the way to go. 5000k is rare to find, 6000k is a bit too blue to my taste, has less visible light output and get even more blue with the age. 4300k provide the most visible light and still does not look yellow. OEM are 4300k as well. But I guess it's also down to personal preference.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure