A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 22nd October 2021, 04:14 PM

Default D3 facelift rear lights

Hi guys,

Today a warning for rear right light popped up on a dashboard and after that I've noticed rear turning signal to be blinking way quicker than normal.

Is there anybody who tried to repair D3 facelift rear lights and is it even possible to do that? I'm quite handy with welding and small electronics and would definitely like to give it a go.

Thanks,
Marko
Old 28th October 2021, 12:01 AM

If you are comfortable I would give it a try. I was able to fix my pre-facelift D3 tails using a spare circuit board that I located in a junk yard. The only part you have to be careful about is separating the cover from the taillight housing. It is glued and and can break at any point. Mine didn't take any effort at all, it opened after pulling it slightly. Facelift tails are very similar with very different layout inside.
Used to own: 2000 S4, 1990 90 quattro
Old 28th October 2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markobj View Post
Hi guys,

Today a warning for rear right light popped up on a dashboard and after that I've noticed rear turning signal to be blinking way quicker than normal.

Is there anybody who tried to repair D3 facelift rear lights and is it even possible to do that? I'm quite handy with welding and small electronics and would definitely like to give it a go.

Thanks,
Marko
did you have a look to check which one it is thats not working?
ive never known the rear facelift ones fail b4
suppose theres always a first time
Old 28th October 2021, 03:45 PM

Strange the whole unit has failed at the same time as you would expect the indicators to still work if the others/brake light failed. Have you tried swapping over the left and the right to see if it works? Could be a wiring issue.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 9th November 2021, 05:59 AM

It seems it was a one time thing due to heavy rain and probably some water coming in. Now everything works fine.

I can see that one LED in the inner rear light stopped to work and it has a crack just above the reverse light. I'm wondering if this crack can be fixed somehow?
Old 10th November 2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markobj View Post
It seems it was a one time thing due to heavy rain and probably some water coming in. Now everything works fine.

I can see that one LED in the inner rear light stopped to work and it has a crack just above the reverse light. I'm wondering if this crack can be fixed somehow?
The crack is very common. Only 'repair' would be some sort of silicone or sealant but the crack will not disappear. Only way is to replace
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 10th November 2021, 08:50 PM

For the crack the best would probably low viscosity UV resin like used in windscreen chip repair. They come in different viscosities. Depends how long the crack has been there, if a long time then there is likely some dirt in 5here so not sure how well it would seal up.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 5th December 2021, 09:38 PM

Mark I had the exact same issue the other week right rear outer cluster indicator light was dimmed along with taillight, It was either rain or ice that caused it and was working the next day, worth trying to reseal if you can. DId the inner one last yearplastic glue and headlight silicone and some patience in getting it apart

Last edited by jonnypym123; 5th December 2021 at 09:43 PM.