A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D4 > D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D4 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions including MMI 3G Plus

Old 13th October 2021, 02:15 PM

How on earth do I insert photos inline with the ability to type a line of text underneath each one rather than have them all grouped at the bottom of the post?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
Old 13th October 2021, 02:26 PM

Add them all as attachments in the advanced editor. When you have uploaded them, copy the link by right clicking it, then paste it in [img] [/img] tags like this:

[img]http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=27282&stc=1&d=16341312 18[\img]

(note I've use / in the close tag so it doesn't work. Proper syntax is /img)

which then shows like this:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilith_and_BigRed.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	27282   Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	27283  
Old 13th October 2021, 03:41 PM

Ah thanks MJ...I got as far as selecting the images but then went straight to uploading them and they all appeared at the bottom of the preview.

I didn't bank on the magic touch of copy/paste...when I posted on AudiWorld it all seemed to work as it should...

Figured I should really post on my own homegrown A8 website though and spookily enough when looking around for inspiration came across one of your posts about a D2 FE barn find where I saw it could be done!

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
Old 13th October 2021, 04:05 PM

I used to host pics myself, but when IT mentioned he has plenty of storage capacity I thought it would be rude not to use it
Old 15th October 2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
I used to host pics myself, but when IT mentioned he has plenty of storage capacity I thought it would be rude not to use it
Yup...you're right.

With that in mind I've just sorted 30 pictures ready for him to host.

Be rude not to...

Not sure if there is a limit per post but I might split it across the various phases of the job; Monitors, 7F, MMI Control just to make it easier to post & read.

-=Glyn=-
Old 15th October 2021, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynH View Post
Not sure if there is a limit per post
It's documented somewhere but you'd need to be using pretty high-tech kit to reach it.
Quote:
just to make it easier to post & read.
That is more important.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 15th October 2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynH View Post
Not sure if there is a limit per post but I might split it across the various phases of the job; Monitors, 7F, MMI Control just to make it easier to post & read.
If you check some of the WITW threads you'll see loads of pictures per post, sometimes upwards of 30.

The only thing you need to be aware of is when you click on the Manage Attachments button, you can only select 10 photos at a time to upload. So, select the first 10, one per Choose File button, and then click on Upload. Once those are done, the text beside each Choose File button will read 'No file chosen', and then repeat the process for the other photos.

Was just about to Submit this and noticed from the screenshot MJ posted previously the 10 buttons have 'Browse...' and not 'Choose File' and 'No file selected.' instead of 'No file chosen', but you get the idea.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 16th October 2021, 04:07 PM

OK...thanks for the tips. Here goes. First up in chronological order of works - fitting the 7F as that should be the easiest part.

When I purchased the RSE bundle from eBay UK unusually it came with a plastic sleeve that the 7F unit slides into and the whole top trim that sits above the ski hatch.

Removing that trim is easy...just tuck your fingers into where the back of the trim sits into the parcel shelf and pull forward to disengage the two plastic legs from the metal speedclips and then pull it up and out of the way.

The replacement which has the roller shutter door can then be fitted in its place and the plastic sleeve with the 7F is slid into the opening and secured with 4 small screws.

Now you see me...

Now you don't...

Unfortunately the chrome trim strip is missing from the bottom of the roller shutter door but no great loss. I will keep my eye open for a replacement at some point though.

Now the 7F is in place the view from the boot looks like this;

Inside the back panel there is an outline trace of where a cut needs to be made (see above photo) so the plastic cover can be clipped and fitted into place to cover the arse end of the 7F including the wiring which when cut looks like this;

From the back - not the greatest cut in the world and I hope when it comes to cutting the wooden trim I can & will do better

From the front

And fitted in place. The £20 plastic cover is on its way from Latvia to keep things nice and tidy

Next I'll move onto the monitors as I want to sanity check the layout of this post before I progress any further!

-=Glyn=-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image14.png
Views:	588
Size:	974.0 KB
ID:	27294   Click image for larger version

Name:	image15.png
Views:	594
Size:	962.6 KB
ID:	27295   Click image for larger version

Name:	image16.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	27296   Click image for larger version

Name:	image17.jpeg
Views:	598
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	27297   Click image for larger version

Name:	image18.jpeg
Views:	609
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	27298   Click image for larger version

Name:	image19.jpeg
Views:	591
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	27299  

Last edited by GlynH; 16th October 2021 at 05:08 PM.
Old 16th October 2021, 04:47 PM

Well that seemed to work so I'll plough on regardless!

Up next was the monitors as I figured even if I progress no further it will at least look like I have RSE fitted to the untrained eye!

My car has Audi Exclusive Poplar Brown Silver wood trim which might prove impossible to get hold of used pre-cut for the monitors and/or elusive & expensive if purchasing new. Looking around I have seen prices of £500 per piece banded about on the Internet so I figured I have nothing to lose by hacking at it myself as a first attempt. If I mess it up then I will have to buy the trim but if I don't then I just might have saved myself @£1000

Working in my favour is the cut doesn't have to be exact nor neat as it will be completely covered by the lower front plastic trim although my OCD would punish me relentlessly if it was a poor cut

So looking at the bracket on the bottom of the monitor I figured a simple rectangular slot would suffice instead of the intricate shape shown on this photo of an original RSE seat trim from eBay;

I was more concerned at this stage of making a straight & level cut but needn't have worried as I just followed the inside edge of the plastic chrome trim on the long cut with a Dremel which was just the right depth. I found it easier to use a junior hacksaw to cut the two small uprights;

Finished cut...or so I thought

Turns out I didn't need the two 4H0 885 153 monitor brackets supplied with the kit as the aluminium monitor bracket already fitted to the monitors is designed to fit into the existing bracket in the seat back. It nicely slots in place and will hold its own weight even before you put the two 6mm bolts in to secure it which gives added strength because I do worry that unruly rear seat passengers might grab hold of the monitor to help extract themselves from the back of the car!

And if anyone wonders what the inside of the seat looks like if you undo those two T30 Torx screws and lift the back up & away then brace yourselves;

Next on with the wooden trim;

Jobs a good 'un I thought and then went to fit the plastic monitor trim to cover up my carefully cut slot but the lower trim wouldn't fit into place no matter what I tried.

On closer inspection it was found that the two plastic legs on the bottom of the trim were impacting on it preventing it fitting down into place.

Now I realise why the eBay photo has those rounded holes opened up in the corners. Bugger...ah well off with the wood trim again awaiting another visit from Mr. Dremel;

Now I should have a finished cut

Close up showing the legs on the trim now allowing the trim to sit low enough to clip into position. I have to say the thought of taking the easy way out and just cut the legs off did cross my mind

Looking good so far...to be continued

-=Glyn=-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image5.png
Views:	610
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	27300   Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	590
Size:	540.6 KB
ID:	27301   Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	592
Size:	887.5 KB
ID:	27302   Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.jpeg
Views:	167
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	27303   Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.jpeg
Views:	567
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	27304   Click image for larger version

Name:	image6.jpeg
Views:	555
Size:	463.5 KB
ID:	27305   Click image for larger version

Name:	image7.jpeg
Views:	538
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	27306   Click image for larger version

Name:	image8.jpeg
Views:	608
Size:	958.1 KB
ID:	27307   Click image for larger version

Name:	image9.jpeg
Views:	602
Size:	946.0 KB
ID:	27308   Click image for larger version

Name:	image10.jpeg
Views:	562
Size:	920.0 KB
ID:	27309  

Name:	image11.jpeg
Views:	506
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	27310   Click image for larger version

Name:	image12.jpeg
Views:	555
Size:	885.2 KB
ID:	27311   Click image for larger version

Name:	image13.jpeg
Views:	527
Size:	949.0 KB
ID:	27312   Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	27313  

Last edited by GlynH; 16th October 2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 17th October 2021, 09:58 AM

Looking good so far. Intrigued to see all the associated wiring for this setup when it's done.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds