A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 17th November 2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
Sorry Snap, not guilty this time.
My D3 was not keyless.
Sorry, it must be your previous convictions for fixing things that arose my suspicions
Old 17th November 2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Sorry, it must be your previous convictions for fixing things that arose my suspicions

Guilty as charged

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 18th November 2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Delboy is correct, the chance you bought a new faulty one is high, the newest D3s are 10 years old and these handles are not a very reliable at all so on the balance of probability the new ones have one of the several faults they are prone to.
Can you test your old one or did you bin it?
If not you can probably swap with the passenger one permanently or for testing.

How could the replacement have been faulty? It was working perfectly fine after it was installed. The only thing I can say about it is that it wasn't a new part and failed within around 500 miles of fitting. What's the vulnerability in them - is it the fairly extreme-angled routing of the cables?
The other thing is that shouldn't the car unlock without me ever having to touch it, shouldn't it unlock with me just approaching the car?
Old 18th November 2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdred View Post
The other thing is that shouldn't the car unlock without me ever having to touch it, shouldn't it unlock with me just approaching the car?
No, it should only unlock when you touch the handle
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 18th November 2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
No, it should only unlock when you touch the handle
No, before my driver door handle had it's latest issue, it would unlock as I approached the car. This then reduced to unlocking only when pulling the handle once, and then reduced further its current state of not working at all.

I checked the owner's manual since -

Old 18th November 2019, 02:31 PM

Interesting. So prior to the fault, if you walked towards the vehicle (and was close by), did the car unlock and indicators flash without you having to touch the handle?
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 18th November 2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerdred View Post
No, before my driver door handle had it's latest issue, it would unlock as I approached the car.
If this is the case, I wonder if there is a setting in the MMI for this. Even though I have keyless entry/start on the S8, I rarely used it, and never gave the car a chance to use it if available, as I would use the remote to unlock the car as I approached it. I think I only ever used the Start button 2 or 3 times to see it in operation, as it doesn't lock the steering column when you press Stop (you have to press and hold it for a few seconds).

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 18th November 2019, 08:11 PM

In my experience with fully working door handles the car doesn't unlock when you walk by, it only unlocks when I put my fingers under the door handle.

This is not pulling the handle, it sense proximity.

If you need to pull the handle its not working as intended and if it unlocks as you approach the car i'd say that it thinks your fingers are below the handle, also not good.

Old 18th November 2019, 09:58 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
In my experience with fully working door handles the car doesn't unlock when you walk by, it only unlocks when I put my fingers under the door handle.

If you need to pull the handle its not working as intended and if it unlocks as you approach the car i'd say that it thinks your fingers are below the handle, also not good.
That's how mine works...... When it works.
Old 19th November 2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post

Exactly how mine is.

I would agree that the sensor thinks something (the OP) are touching the handle and so unlocks when near by