A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 8th February 2021, 07:42 PM

Default D2 coilovers

Looking at lowering the old boat but struggling to find a good solution. Bilstein doesn't do B8 shocks for D2, which means I'm limited to 30mm lowering, which isn't enough to get the right "stance" of what I've heard. 2nd option is coil overs, but as much as I'd like KWs are out of my price range, I know ebay offer coilovers around £450 mark, are they any good?

I know some comfort will be compromised but I would like to retain the comfort the A8 was built for.

Old 8th February 2021, 08:02 PM

Hard to tell from that pic - does it have comfort suspension? If so, most lowering springs (inc Eibach) will lower it to Sport spec, which isn't overly helpful. The Bilstein B12 kit for example ends up at the same height as a stock S8.

The Spax RSX kit is quite reasonable and has adjustable damping for ~£700 ish. Mike and I did 2000 miles across Germany in his S8 with that kit (on 19s) and were entirely satisfied with both ride and handling, although that is a couple of petrolheads in an S8. It might not suit an A8L quite so well! It is designed to be ultra-low and initially was so low the car wouldn't even get off the lift, but we wound it up to the top and it was fine.
Old 8th February 2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Hard to tell from that pic - does it have comfort suspension? If so, most lowering springs (inc Eibach) will lower it to Sport spec, which isn't overly helpful. The Bilstein B12 kit for example ends up at the same height as a stock S8.

The Spax RSX kit is quite reasonable and has adjustable damping for ~£700 ish. Mike and I did 2000 miles across Germany in his S8 with that kit (on 19s) and were entirely satisfied with both ride and handling, although that is a couple of petrolheads in an S8. It might not suit an A8L quite so well! It is designed to be ultra-low and initially was so low the car wouldn't even get off the lift, but we wound it up to the top and it was fine.
If she wasn't a daily driver, comfort wouldn't be an issue really, but I have no intention of getting a 3rd car... I mean I wouldn't mind but misses would have something to say

I believe it's comfort suspension, it's a LWB after all. New rear comfort springs with S8 front springs to get more "wedged" look?
Old 8th February 2021, 08:26 PM

Well in that case the Bilstein B12 kit would get you down to sport / S8 height without compromising comfort as much as coilovers. The Bilstein dampers are quite firm so you need a tyre with a stiff sidewall for them to work - contis, vredestein work quite well. Goodyears, Michelin are quite soft so ride nicely but are a bit bouncy with the Bilsteins (think F1 car where the tyre has more compliance than the suspension).

I wouldn't be inclined to put just springs on comfort shocks as they are pretty soft so you'll end up bouncing around again.
Old 8th February 2021, 08:37 PM

If I keep it at decent ride height plan is to fit B6 Bilsteins, because let's be honest there is nothing better out there
Old 8th February 2021, 09:04 PM

Thats what the B12 kit is - B6 dampers + Eibach springs If you buy the kit its about the same price as the 4 dampers individually, so you effectively get a free set of springs.
Old 8th February 2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Thats what the B12 kit is - B6 dampers + Eibach springs If you buy the kit its about the same price as the 4 dampers individually, so you effectively get a free set of springs.
Cheapest B12 kit I can see is £880, 4 dampers work out around £520. Keeping stock is becoming very attractive
Old 8th February 2021, 09:22 PM

Wow. Thats gone up a lot since I bought mine. It used to be about £600-650 for the kit
Old 9th February 2021, 11:01 AM

These seem decent, but then can't find many reviews on these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254737095958