A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 5th August 2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
Oh my problem is fixed.....The buttons did that!

I've JUST managed to read the working firmware off my non CP working unit. Finding the right software/drivers for the programmer takes some doing and DAMN the holes are small for fitting the wires in - I had some fine multistrand stuff that i trimmed and made work, but even with a magnifier it took some doing!

Then the software is generally a bit bobbins, or maybe my wires or something. I could just about get a read in the first 10 seconds with most the software. I tried a couple of versions and a couple of different pieces of software. I've now got 5 identical files and you can read the serial number out, which matches with an old VCDS scan as well, so i'm pretty confident i've managed to back my eprom up. A WHOLE 8k file!!!

You need a fine T7 torq to get into the head unit itself and i think having the RIGHT size wire to start with would make it a fair bit easier, but in all honesty, it really isn't a job to do, unless you need to......Or you have an interest in it.
Interesting! Is this unit all part of the buttons? Is the control unit under the buttons or a separate unit?
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 5th August 2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
Well.....My issue was the buttons. Changed those and my MMI sprung back into life
Reminds me of an issue many many years ago with a minicomputer system that was satellite (one of many) to a huge mainframe.
It was misbehaving and the engineers kept stripping it down and replacing various components as their diagnostics were not definitive, with no luck.
In the end I (onsite project manager) recall a conversation with the chief engineer who said "We've replaced every F******** part of this thing except the tin box and the console keypad!"

At which point I saw him have a "light bulb moment". And a few minutes later, having extracted a keypad from another system it was up and working.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 5th August 2021, 01:44 PM

Last night, on a roll i read the eeprom from the "new" unit and managed to get that to verify as identical a few times, so saved it. Just because!

Then I WROTE my HU firmware over it, read it back and verified what i'd written as being identical.

I put the new HU in the car and it was in GERMAN - It was late and i was hungry, so left it.

Just had a look and switched the menu language back to English and i was much happier. Still had CP....Got VCDS out to have a look and yep. CP still engaged.

HU was coded 000000 and i switched to 000002. The TV module had a fault code and i cleared that and sound came on!!!!
I cleared the CP fault on the head unit and it stayed gone.

I had to switch 08 in the HU adaption to 1 to get back the secret MMI menu back to get all the options i had enabled

SO RESULT!

YES.....reading your eeprom from your old HU and writing it to a different HU did work. It's an almighty faff dealing with small fiddly wires, reading/writing and so forth, but it IS possible!

I'm now going to switch back as my HU wasn't the problem this time and rebuild my glovebox

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 5th August 2021, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Interesting! Is this unit all part of the buttons? Is the control unit under the buttons or a separate unit?
The Head Unit 07 in VCDS is in two parts basically, the module behind the glovebox (4E0 907 468 A) and the buttons (4E2 919 610 B) in the centre console. BOTH need to work for the MMI to show.

From reading on the net the general consensus seemed to be the buttons were just buttons and them being dead just meant the MMI would work, but you wouldn't be able to use the buttons to control it. THIS is wrong. Unplug the buttons and the MMI shows for a few secs and then turns off.

Which is why i bought a second-hand HU (4E0 907 468 A) and was preparing to defeat CP, but my new module didn't show either, so i bought some second-hand buttons (4E2 919 610 B) which the MMI popped back into life.
I had the kit and was curious if I could remove the CP on the HU module with the eeprom write hack and it WORKED!

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 5th August 2021, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the explanation and good work!
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder