A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - Cars

For Sale and Wanted - Cars For the sale of whole cars, Audi or not, working or not. No cross links to other peoples cars please - Use Spotted online instead

Old 29th September 2021, 01:20 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
What's your budget? "spec and history/condition" importance suggests you're prepared to pay more than £3-4k for one...
Now this is a tough one

As they’re are none on the market currently for me to gauge pricing, and as stated I am totally knew to the D2 S8, I am after a decent example of course you it’s good options (rare options would be even better!)

Stating FE, I just assumed they came loaded, so clearly I was mistaken!

It would have to be a facelift though, as I don’t see myself going as far back as Pre-faced lift (in Terms of cosmetics)

I’m quite spoilt in the sense that I am currently in a C7 RS6, however I’ve owned a number of B5 RS4s, I know what a 2000 model Audi would ‘feel like’

Most people have a midlife crisis and opt/crave for the cliche porches, my mid life is drawing me to the classics
Old 29th September 2021, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanker View Post
Final Editons aren't known for being high-spec unless a previous owner has taken the time and money to upgrade various aspects of the car.

They aren't basic by any stretch of the imagination, but I wouldn't expect to see auto-dimming interior or exterior mirrors, Alcantara, rear heated seats, rear electric headrests, rear electric lumbar support, ski-hatch, heated windscreen, passenger memory seats, solar sunroof, extended leather in platinum, Servotronic, audio controls on the steering wheel, heated steering wheel, fridge and other "Exclusive" options.
I can't say for certain that all FE's didn't have the above but I'd use the above to manage my expectations if looking for one in the future.
This is exactly what I wasn’t aware of, so thanks for the info, I’ll have to look into this more I think, more research needed, that’s where this forum comes handy!!
Old 29th September 2021, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarg View Post
Be prepared to be patient, took me almost 2 years to find a suitable purchase

But if I was in the market again, talking to MJ would definitely a be a good starting point
No rush at all, gives me time to look into these cars in more detail with out rush buying
Old 29th September 2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N11LS_J View Post
I am currently in a C7 RS6, however I’ve owned a number of B5 RS4s, I know what a 2000 model Audi would ‘feel like’
That's good but two things are rather different about a D2 (well loads but these sprang to mind first):
1. It's a normally-aspirated 4.2, no turbos, so won't have the brutal power of an RS.
2. Serenity and comfort. Being inside a D2 on the move is not like any other 2000 model Audi.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 29th September 2021, 08:47 AM

I suppose it's a fair assumption that you're looking for a RHD car but maybe not? (I drive RHD cars in Germany because I prefer them).
If you're open to LHD cars then you've got a lot more options open to you. Factory manual gearboxes, more powerful 6.0 litre W12 engines and a greater choice of higher spec cars on the market around Europe.
I see them all the time in the classifieds and get quite jealous. But I'm not jealous of the prices.

Future work on "Red Dwarf": Fridge, solar sunroof, radio-controlled clock, interior and exterior dimming mirrors, Alcantara headlining/pillars/rear shelf, rear US outer lights, passenger memory seat, rear electric (lumbar and headrest) heated seats, Servotronic.
2002 A8 D2 S8 FE - "Red Dwarf" - Misano Red - Platinum/Silver Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE and hidden Dension Bluetooth, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, FE Wheels, Phone Prep with Nokia 6210, Detachable Towbar, Rear Blinds, S8 plate but no other optional extras
1st Place Winner - A8Parts Annual UK Meet 2018
1st Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2018
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2019
2002 A8L D2 with a factory fitted S8 engine and drivetrain - "Evergreen" - Irish Green Pearl (TBC) - magnolia leather seats with magnolia door cards/door trims, magnolia leather head-lining, extended leather pack 3 (dark green leather dash, upper door cards, steering wheel, lower dash, centre tunnel and rear parcel shelf), factory black external trim (in lieu of chrome), self-levelling suspension, Servotronic, Brembo brakes, "gullideckel" / "man-hole cover" / "pie-plate" 8Jx18 polished 10-hole design wheels typically seen on the W12, Park Distance Control, heated windscreen, multifunction steering wheel, Vavona burl (burr-walnut) wood inserts with cream/magnolia door switch trims, phone preparation to the front with Nokia 6091 phone, phone preparation to the rear with Nokia 6091 phone on the central rear console, third phone preparation in the rear centre console, rear blinds, rear headrest release feature, rear electric heated seats with lumbar and recline function (the rear passenger seat has the facility to move the front passenger seat forward), BOSE audio, Rear Screen Entertainment (RSE) with dual factory fitted Alpine screens, integrated DVD player (under the centre of the rear bench with 4 DVD storage slots) and two remote controls (the controls and inputs for the RSE are in the rear centre console and the screens can operate independently of each other,) factory supplied leather headrest covers to hide the rear screens, rear vanity mirrors (standard A8L), dark green rear wedge footrests with cream piping, front passenger memory seat, dark green floor carpeting and mats – piped in cream, rear slumber pillows for the headrests, integrated fridge with integrated tumblers inside the rear centre headrest bar compartment, solar roof, auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors, factory driver’s seat fire extinguisher, tire pressure monitoring system, first aid kit, 12 V socket in the boot, TRACKER, derestricted – top speed is 155mph plus
2007 A6 Allroad C6 3.0TDI Quattro - Highland Green (Audi Exclusive Colour) - Cream leather interior with Wood, Advanced MMI, Keyless, Bose, Advanced PDC, Sunroof, Heated Memory Seats, Adaptive Xenons, Adaptive Air Suspension, Servotronic

Previous (went to good homes):
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - "Big Red" - Tornado Red (Special Order) - Twist Interior, PDC, Passenger Memory Seats, Symphony II with BOSE, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, 20" FE Wheels, Servotronic Steering
2002 A8 D2 2.8 Quattro Sport - Aqua Blue Pearl - Twist Interior, PDC, Sat Nav Plus with BOSE, Multi-changer, Heated Front Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto-dimming Mirrors, Avus Wheels

Last edited by Spanker; 29th September 2021 at 08:49 AM.
Old 29th September 2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Again, no rush, and I’d love to know more about your Agate Grey example…
You'd be welcome to have a look and a drive if you're in the area. See what you think of the D2 S8.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 29th September 2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
even owned a very rare Suzuka grey D3 S8 which I sold via this forum to one of your members a few years ago.

I remember it well! Very well specced and I think you changed the suspension too. It was a great example and if I was in a position to buy at the time I would have had it.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 29th September 2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I come from a very strong history of Audi S/RS cars, even owned a very rare Suzuka grey D3 S8 which I sold via this forum to one of your members a few years ago. (Would be interested to see where this car is now actually?)
Ahem! Well, if you 'really' want to know that, check out the following thread after I sold it. What I will say is that the end of the thread (which is locked) is not the end of the story:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=15740

Good luck on your search for the D2 S8, and when you do get one, you know that you are obliged to provide the forum with photos.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 29th September 2021, 11:30 AM

You need to be budgeting £6-10k for a good one, you won't get a good one for 3-4k, not a chance

Neil (architex here) knows of somebody with an Avus silver FE, purple interior, for sale at 8-9k with 112k miles on the clock
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Last edited by sarg; 29th September 2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 4th October 2021, 03:00 PM

FE's have a tendency to have big wheels and odd interior colours.

Most later models seem to get advertised with the FE moniker which often makes us all laugh. Dealer marketing babble basically.

The LATER FL have a slightly different style gear stick gate set-up from a T shape to a kind of fat L - Never did find out if they had a "sport" mode. The earlier PF D2 certainly don't.

I had both the a FL and a PF of the D2s. Personally i preferred the FL one. The gearbox went on the PF despite service stuff (120ish) and the FL gearbox despite no service got almost double.

However the FL engine has an early VVT and there's little chain lifters that are oil driven and the guide bits tend to wear. You can hear a chain rattle on start up when wearing and there is one at the front and one on one side and one at the back on the other side. I seem to recall on needed the bumper off and timing and the other could just about be done in situ, but they are pig. If they go and the chain slips, interference engine and rods into pistons, which killed my FL

One tip is that often overlooked is the kick down on the FL is oddly disabled. It's a twist switch under the loud pedal. If you are in manual mode and high gear (~30mph, 4th) and you boot it and it doesn't drop gears then it's kick down is disabled and twist the switch. The S8 has some rapid pick up in most gears, but kick down can really launch and pin.

Alcantra inserts on leather seats is a nice extra. Bose is a must. You can change head units or upgrade to the RNS-E (iirc). The solar sunroof is nice and there's a very rare heated windscreen. Blinds good but a decent tinted set-up better.

Had a decent prins LPG on mine which made it a cheap car to run and 95% of the power. You could get it to drop out with kick down, but would happily do silly speeds. At 140mph it kicked down and lurched but i backed off as i just wasn't comfortable at that speed, the car was! Phenomenal machines.

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)