A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 17th January 2015, 06:44 PM

Great job and write up Adrian there's something very satisfying about taking somethg like that apart and refurbing it, the results are so much better!
I'll add this to the section sticky when I'm back on my laptop

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 23rd January 2015, 10:54 AM

Well I pulled the drivers side light out in the week - started working on it last night and polished the outer lens while it was still assembled on the body of the light.

This morning I've got it stripped down and so far it's not going so well! The clip holding the outer lens near the indicator was holding onto thin air due to the lens end of things having parted company at some point....

Rung TPS (the outer lens has a couple of big chips in it anyway) and there's no replacement lens in the country, so I'm looking at waiting for stock from Germany in a week to 10 days so now the car is off the road until I can get that.

Also found on dismantling that the trim under the headlight has previously been gorilla'd off the car and 1 of the 2 mounting barbs was snapped clean off. It was still sitting in the rubber grommet so there's a small chance I might be able to glue it back in place! Bit annoyed at that....

I'm not sure whether to admit defeat today or push my luck and remove the inner reflector cover. The way I'm going there's every chance one of the 4 clips will shear off!

I've also found a rubber grommet floating about in the headlight body which I've no idea where it came from. It's possible it's nothing to do with the headlight I guess. Will post a pic of it later and see if anyone recognises it.

Time for coffee and a think

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 23rd January 2015, 11:13 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

I've got various bits of headlight in a box in the garage, including an outer lens IIRC.

I'll have a look at the weekend and let you know. In the meantime, if you can let me have a list (with photos preferably) of the bits you need, I'll see what I can find.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 24th January 2015, 07:29 AM

Cheers for the offer - I've ordered a new lens which will take about a week to arrive from Germany, allegedly. Cost was just under £75

This is what's broken off the original:

and this dropped out of the headlight when I took the lens off! Not even sure it's from the headlight!

Condition is much the same as the other side, although I can't help thinking that the exterior condition of this one suggests the nearside one has been replaced at some point

Inner reflector has come off OK again (phew!)

The hole for the sidelight bulb was a fair bit smaller than the other side, so required more material removing to allow the LED sidelight bulb to fit. That's all done now (no pics) but think I'll leave any further cleaning until I have the new lens to fit. Would rather not spend time cleaning the reflector up only for it to get dusty again!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 30th January 2015, 11:51 AM

Finally finished! Well nearly.....still got to repair the broken plastic barb on the trim under the headlight, but I'll do that after writing this!

I collected my new driver's side lens yesterday, so this morning was all about cleaning the reflectors, replacing the outer lens with new gasket and getting the bulbs fitted, then back in the car and off down to my local indy who then checked and adjusted the beam alignment for me (drivers side was low but otherwise all good)

New lens fitted and reassembly on the bench done - the box for the lens was dated January '14 so pretty recent stock, so they're still making some stuff!

Both LED sidelights now fitted

and with the headlights on you get a nice white light, rather than a tinge of yellow courtesy of the old school sidelights!

I'll see what it's like to drive at night (probably tonight as I'm off to Surbiton karting) and I might order some new xenons - although these are 4 years old I know they were old stock from when the cars were current, so I think more modern bulbs will give a better light output.

Old 30th January 2015, 12:59 PM

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stmt.png
Views:	681
Size:	557.5 KB
ID:	10062  
Old 30th January 2015, 01:12 PM

Haha Sergey thats a new one!
Good job Adrian. That's the first time I've thought a set of xenon pluses actually look good on a d2 because the little piddly sidelights don't ruin it!
One of the reasons I went for Xenons rather than Xenon Plus on mine was for that very reason!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 30th January 2015, 02:21 PM

Thanks Sergey - that's brilliant! May have to take you up on the offer as I do glance at my sunroof panel when I'm up in the loft and think it'd be a lot better in the car!

Neil - they do make a big difference, but it's a risky job to do if you do manage to break something that's part of the main headlight assembly. I'm convinced my driver's headlight is as old as the car but the passenger side one is newer - it has a lot less wear and tear, less rusty clips, better condition painted plastic on the inner reflector etc etc.

I followed up the headlight refurb with changing the offside outer rear tail light as well! It's had a crack in it since I bought the car and I came across one recently for £20 which had only had a couple of years use, at most. Getting quite good at boot trim removal now lol

Old 21st February 2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post

It's only when you look at it against a white background that the discolouration is fairly obvious. I think I'll be hand polishing this rather than using the rotary tool that came in the Meg's kit.

Adrian
What did you use to clean this lens?
Old 21st February 2020, 10:33 AM

From memory just detailing spray and a micro fibre cloth. Be careful attacking it with anything stronger, as the ‘chrome’ finish is VERY fragile to chemicals (avoid getting any on it and mask off for preference - just dry wipe the chrome finish)