A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 29th January 2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
There's a device on the market called mimicsx2 which will allow you to control and display your telephone at another monitor.

So if I modify the mmi screen to have a touch panel and can find a nice way to convert hdmi to phono connections I can feed it to the mmi via the av input1.
I just love your idea Del and will support it until I have one of them fully installed as well
How many inches are our stock screens exactly, any one know on top of your head??

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 29th January 2014, 09:23 PM

Not sure on the size mate, I was thinking of buying a spare screen to fit the touch panel but that will be taking a back burner till I retrofit reverse camera.

Have all the bits apart from the Kufatec harness as I cant be arsed to go through the hassle of making a harness.

Old 29th January 2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Not sure on the size mate, I was thinking of buying a spare screen to fit the touch panel but that will be taking a back burner till I retrofit reverse camera.

Have all the bits apart from the Kufatec harness as I cant be arsed to go through the hassle of making a harness.
tell me what connectors and i will try to make you harness if you have any diagrams, no problem
spent 60+ quid recently on all sort connectors, wires etc from audi

my mate successfully installed reversing camera on 06 d3
we will be intalling one on my soon

in regards to that gadget, if i do it, only if i can replace original screen to same or almost same size one, better resolution, touch, only this way

my best mat e who has 06 d3 as well is also very good in electronics

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 29th January 2014, 10:00 PM

The screen doesn't need replacing, just need to fit a resistive touch panel in front of the TFT on the mmi, it's been done before but I can't remember where I seen it on the net.

But I don't think it will be hard to do.

My only concern was how it would look on the mmi screen in regards to resolution.

Thinking about it I could slave my iPad in the the av1 input for a resolution check as I have a phono cable for the iPad

Old 29th January 2014, 10:12 PM

2G MMI is waaay lower than iPad resolution.. 3G is 800x480, so 2G must be pretty low. Phono will send a 576i signal for PAL input or 480 for NTSC, and the MMI system will re-scale it for the screen, so not a good test.

I know.. I know..

Old 29th January 2014, 10:20 PM

Thats why im thinking about completely changing the screen to full touch with much better resolution?!?!

surely resolution cant be that odd

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 29th January 2014, 10:25 PM

The problem with changing the panel is how will you connect the rest of the car to it, the TFT screens are not going to be generic in the audi and interfacing could be a problem.

That's why I want to test the iPad through the phono inputs as it will be far easier, albeit with somewhat suspect clarity, but it costs nothing to test and. I will video my tests so you all can see how it will look.

Old 29th January 2014, 10:34 PM

cant wait cant wait m8

i thought about quality ipad holder but thats having a ipad on top
having similar fully touch screen integrated in place of original mmi one is ideal
integrity? i believe screen it self is a screen, it doesnt some with other components moulded to the back of it.
thickness shouldnt be a problem at all
recycle original connector and done?

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 29th January 2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
cant wait cant wait m8

i thought about quality ipad holder but thats having a ipad on top
having similar fully touch screen integrated in place of original mmi one is ideal
integrity? i believe screen it self is a screen, it doesnt some with other components moulded to the back of it.
thickness shouldnt be a problem at all
recycle original connector and done?
The main issue is the screen is lvds which is how most screens are driven, however the video processing is not done in the screen it's done in the other box of tricks behind the dash and it's the bottle neck if you want to have a better res TFT screen, some more digging required in that department but I shall carry out tests on the factory screen in the next few days.

Car is going into audi to get new drivers door handle tomorrow and get my grip moulding colour matched to the car for the rvc

Be interesting to see what I get as courtesy car......

Old 29th January 2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
The main issue is the screen is lvds which is how most screens are driven, h............r handle tomorrow and get my grip moulding colour matched to the car for the rvc

Be interesting to see what I get as courtesy car......
Manager's BM 7series 3.0diesel

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10