A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Transmission

D3 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 7th April 2014, 08:30 PM

Default Slight judder/vibration when reversing with full steering lock applied...

Is this normal on the D3?

When performing a 3-point turn, reversing under full steering lock produces a mild but noticeable vibration or judder.

I've noticed it on both of the W12 cars I've test driven over the last few days. One being a 2005/55 car with 106000 miles, the other a 2005/05 car with 99000 miles.

I've experienced similar, albeit far more pronounced, when manoeuvring a Mitsubishi L200 on dry tarmac having neglected to put the transfer box in 2wd. So i wonder if the milder effect in the A8s is just a quirk of the Quattro system? Or if both cars have had a fault which causes this.
Old 7th April 2014, 09:17 PM

Sounds pretty much like quattro judder. You'll get it on full lock going forwards too

I know.. I know..

Old 7th April 2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Sounds pretty much like quattro judder. You'll get it on full lock going forwards too

Excellent, thanks Psyche.

I didn't notice it going forwards so much in the car I drove today, although thinking back I it did a little when pulling away under full lock in the other car on Sat.

So, it's just the way this Quattro gubbins works, that's a relief! It seems that all diffs are locked up to about 5mph according to a couple of webpages brought up by googling "Quattro judder". Just generates a bit of tyre scrub, much like that L200 although a good bit less pronounced!

(Which must mean it ought to be just as good in snow/mud as that L200, then... )