A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 16th December 2010, 04:56 AM
daz.g

apperently they checked all the drainage holes which were fine and the only conclusion we came to was that when we had the recent snow I didn't drive the car for a few days and that cos I didn't clear the snow off the windscreen it would have melted down through and got to the ecu... Basically the case of the ecu is nowhere near watertight - it has a screw in each corner holding the two half's together. I wouldn't advise anyone to pressure wash their s8 engine thats for sure. ! On later ecu's there is a gasket around the lip of each half to help protect it.
The ecu itself had blown about a dozen components and all the contacts down one side of a chip burnt so I didn't really fancy a try at repairing that......
Just for info the garage I used was Kartechnik in Poole and I was really impressed with their knowledge, not cheap but really know their high end motors......
With the radio, I know man who knows a man who knows a man who knows an audi master tech who can apparently sort the code out for free, says its a 1 minute job. Unfortunitely its taking ages to hear back from him.......
So whats the deal with the warranty then?? - does it cover the gearbox as that is my main concern, and how much '£' would we be talking......
Old 16th December 2010, 06:48 AM

I hate to post this I really do but I did miss it....

The ECU's on the A8's are very simple to swap. Readapting into the instrument cluster with the older models as they run IMMO2 is very straight forward. Install the new ECU and the immo light will flash. Connect in VAGCOM/VCDS and go to Channel 17 to the Instruments. Goto Adaptation then goto channel 00. Read and save the settings. Ignition off for 10 seconds and then on again.

It's now done.

Alternatively you can swap the 4 pin chip over from the old one to the new ecu with the immo details in. Very simple to do.

Do bear in mind whilst the 8 was a £70k it doesn't thanks to A8 Parts and others have a £70k service tag anymore!!
Old 16th December 2010, 02:04 PM

Interesting Daz as my '98 A8 had a seal between the two halves of the ECU chamber. I wonder if someone has opened your and dumped the seal.

I know.. I know..

Old 16th December 2010, 03:48 PM

mine is sealed with some sticky paste