A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 4th March 2018, 08:46 PM

Good find I had a strut crack in the same place for the same reason.

How does the car behave with the poly bushes? Which bushes did you use?
Old 4th March 2018, 09:32 PM

I used the Strongflex bushes MJ, I had just found out about them at the time and decided to give their bushes a try, I've tried other brands on other cars with good results from all suppliers and price ranges. I decided to use the Stronglex basically on price, cheap as chips! To do the whole front end was about half the price of the regularly seen brands. They have been on the car for over 2 years now with no sign of wear/slop/ degradation, I have even changed numerous arms and reused the bushes with no sign of movement. Part of the reason to swap to poly was that I found that it wasnt the balljoints on the arms were wearing out but it was the bushes, particularly the top rear ones as they get quite a hammering on either side on full lock and as we all know when parking these cars, the steering does a lot of work lol

Driving wise, I feel they have made the steering a tad sharper/positive as they have taken out some of the movement of the bushes in such a complex multilink suspension setup. Doesnt seem to have made the suspension any harder/harsher (and mine is a sport version) and cabin noise does not seem to be affected. I drive in a "spirited" fashion most of the time lol (cant help it lol thats why I wanted a V8 lol) and do like the feedback and feel I get from the car now compared to when I first got the car and cant fairly say if they have made "that" much of a difference over standard/fresh bushes as when I put all the new arms on I replaced the new bushes with the poly ones so have no really benchmark to compare with, like that feeling you get from our cars when you put a full set of new tyres on our cars, if you see what I mean HTH and YMMV again lol
Old 4th March 2018, 09:45 PM

Thanks for the info. Did you manage to get all the front ones from Strongflex? They don't appear to list the upper front bush (the horizontal one). They don't list the upper rear either, but that's the same as A4 and A6 anyway.
Old 4th March 2018, 10:04 PM

I stood corrected MJ, thank you, forgot about the front upper one, doh, thats still on a standard bush, there is another polish company that makes that bush but their name escapes me, just tried googling it but cant find it, yet, lol it was something like MNBE or something like that. when I last looked they werent selling that bush separately only as part of a full set and wouldnt commit on a price to sell it separately. Spot on on the rear bush. Ive contacted Strongflex about rear bushes and they asked for all the dimensions as and when I can for them to cross reference to see if any of their existing bushes may fit, or to make new ones as I had noticed a lot of their A6 rear bushes corresponded partway to some of the A8 part numbers so heres hoping lol
Old 4th March 2018, 10:11 PM

Aha! Found it! http://mpbs.pl/ and they now sell it separately http://mpbs.pl/d2-1994-2002/1385-tul...s-0602908.html looks to be about £32ish, another bit I now "have" to buy lol

Last edited by I am a daisy; 4th March 2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 6th March 2018, 08:27 PM

nice find i'll order these soon

2002 S8 silver with black half leather
2000 d2 S8 in Racing green pearl, RS4 manual gearbox,
2003 A4 avant TDi
1997 Volvo V40 2.0T
1992 Mazda eunos v spec
1976 Reliant Kitten
1965 Porsche 911