A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 25th April 2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
As it was not your fault it should be the other drivers insurance who payout.
Is the car 'Beyond reasonable cost of repair' or beyond repair?

If its repairable then insist its repaired. The other drivers insurance should pay up if faced with a huge bill maybe they'll be more susceptible to a reasonable offer. Just a thought.
GL
CtL
The damage is actually very minor and cosmetic. It's now gone past the point of whether they can/will repair it or not though, and just down to haggling about what they will pay me out. That's actually what I want, rather than them repair it, as my plan would be to buy it back and have it repaired myself.
Old 25th April 2018, 03:49 PM

If they increase the valuation though it may no longer be classed as uneconomical to repair so there would be no pay out and no need to buy it back. You should still be able to get it repaired where you want though and send the bill to them.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 25th April 2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete-p View Post
If they increase the valuation though it may no longer be classed as uneconomical to repair so there would be no pay out and no need to buy it back. You should still be able to get it repaired where you want though and send the bill to them.
Yes I suppose in theory that's possible and if they want to back track that's fine...I'm fairly sure I'm tied to their "approved garage" though, I'll check that.
They didn't seem even remotely interested in repairing it from the off. The assessor "inspected" the car in about 20 seconds flat - he couldn't get away quick enough and barely spent enough time to get a snap on his phone. It seemed to me that it was written off before he saw it and he was just checking boxes.
Even though the damage appears minor I imagine it could easy surpass the "66% of market value" needed to write the car off.
Old 25th April 2018, 05:44 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

If the damage is not your fault then the car remains yours no matter what. The other drivers insurers either pay to have it repaired or compensate you for its loss. Either way the car remains yours.

I was rear ended years ago. The car was written off and the other driver's insurance paid out and I kept the car. As it was it was beyond repair and all I got was scrap value.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 25th April 2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
As it was not your fault it should be the other drivers insurance who payout.
Is the car 'Beyond reasonable cost of repair' or beyond repair?

If its repairable then insist its repaired. The other drivers insurance should pay up if faced with a huge bill maybe they'll be more susceptible to a reasonable offer. Just a thought.
GL
CtL
I think most of them claim on your insurance and then reclaim that from the 3rd party mate.

I don't reckon you'll get them to move much to be honest, I've never had much luck with that. Push them as hard as you can take the money and buy the car from them and put it back on the road, but make sure you offer them less than their buy it back price in the first instance.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 25th April 2018, 06:52 PM

Many thanks for the help with the Glass' valuation.
Unfortunately it is not going to help with the claim as it's way lower than the realistic replacement value of the car.
I know CAP 'clean' is £910 so presume that 'retail' would be somewhere over £2,000?
Does anyone have access to CAP valuations by any chance that could do me a favour??
Old 25th April 2018, 09:47 PM

Might be worth going into a local independent dealer and asking them as a favour. Many will have both Glasses and CAP
Old 25th April 2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
Might be worth going into a local independent dealer and asking them as a favour. Many will have both Glasses and CAP
That is exactly my plan tomorrow ;-)
Old 25th April 2018, 11:12 PM

I don't think those guides reflect true market value for older and rarer cars, they might be correct 3 year old Golf but I am not so sure about D2. Give them couple of examples of comparable cars for sale and any reasons why you think your car is worth what it is like service history, any recent big jobs done( cambelt, gearbox, new tyre set etc). And ask them to show you some comparable examples for sale at the value they offer you. Just do not give up and insist to get a fair compensation, if it needs to go to ombudsmen so be it. It helps if they supplied courtesy car as they do not want to drag it on forever and keep paying for it.

I have been lucky enough not to have a need claim other than for windscreen but even that they did not want to pay for genuine one, I stood up, did not take no for an answer and at the end got a new genuine windscreen fitted at Audi dealer for a 15 year old A6. A have also helped couple of other people deal with claims mostly due to language barrier. Friends car got totalled, it was never proved who the driver was as the owner later claimed car stolen so car owners insurance would not pay and my friend only had 3rd party, F & T so his insurance would not pay. At the end Motor Insurance Bureau paid out more than he bought car for 2 years ago and left him car . On another case lady bought rather overpriced car for £6k on finance, year later totalled due to own fault, insurance offered £2.5k, market value was about £3k, after a lot of disagreements they paid out full outstanding finance over £5k.

This a bit late for you now but could be of use for somebody else, you can register for a free Audi Ensurance, and in the case of accident they will deal with insurers on your behalf. https://www.insurewithaudi.co.uk/ensurance

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 26th April 2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
I don't think those guides reflect true market value for older and rarer cars, they might be correct 3 year old Golf but I am not so sure about D2. Give them couple of examples of comparable cars for sale and any reasons why you think your car is worth

This a bit late for you now but could be of use for somebody else, you can register for a free Audi Ensurance, and in the case of accident they will deal with insurers on your behalf. https://www.insurewithaudi.co.uk/ensurance
I agree. The value they give should be able to buy you a replacement vehicle which is similar in age and condition. This might even be stated in your insurance T&Cs so would pay to double check what it says. As the D2 is rare then the guides won't reflect the true market value. I couldn't see many D2 2.8 Sports and they were all about £3k (one was more but had rather low mileage).

I used the Audi Ensurance with my claim but found them to be no real help in gaining a proper valuation. They just had no care and almost insisted I took the offer, I still had to fight for a proper valuation. The only good thing was that I had a nice D4 as a loan for several weeks (at £302 per day!).
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)