A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 7th January 2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
There are several versions of this module,

I guess the one with Telefon written on the side simply handled the phone to instrument cluster comms if the the car was original sold with a phone but no navigation system.
Well, it might just handle the phone. Maybe I have another TMC for the RNS-D somewhere else in the car..?! This car is delivered with the navi, tv and bose options, so I dont think it is installed later, all the wiring looks original.
Nokia Phone is installed in the arm rest, and a blue Nokia box in the trunk.
Old 7th January 2014, 08:21 PM

How old is the car, later versions of the RNS-D had TMC built into the main unit so did not require the external module.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 7th January 2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyo View Post
How old is the car, later versions of the RNS-D had TMC built into the main unit so did not require the external module.
It is a pre-2000 model, made late 1999.
Old 7th January 2014, 09:03 PM

I would then suggest to open ELSA and to check wiring for this particular early facelift model and compare with normal facelift models. It may be that early FLs have had no CAN bus the way we know it and should be treated as pre-FL cars. I personally have no experience with pre-FL cars, but I seen people had some success installing RND-E to pre-FL cars with some CAN bus emulation modules...
Old 8th January 2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
I would then suggest to open ELSA and to check wiring for this particular early facelift model and compare with normal facelift models. It may be that early FLs have had no CAN bus the way we know it and should be treated as pre-FL cars. I personally have no experience with pre-FL cars, but I seen people had some success installing RND-E to pre-FL cars with some CAN bus emulation modules...
Elsa or Bentley doesn't give me any useful information about the wiring. After searching some German forums I found some indications that the TMC might be located in the trunk like on the A4's. Maybe it is located in the trunk on my car, since I have this phone black box thing behind my instrument panel..

How does RNS-D/TMC talk to the color-DIS when no infotainment can is present? I know this is an RNS-D DX with turn-by-turn in DIS.
Old 8th January 2014, 06:48 PM

Have you read this thread from the start?
As IT said in THE VERY FIRST POST:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT View Post
You lose the DIS turn by turn directions, and anything else graphical that it would put up in the large section of the screen. You do however get radio / track names etc. I hate this, but I'm willing to sacrifice it for the other benefits.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 9th January 2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terion View Post
How does RNS-D/TMC talk to the color-DIS when no infotainment can is present? I know this is an RNS-D DX with turn-by-turn in DIS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Have you read this thread from the start?
As IT said in THE VERY FIRST POST:
Yes, I know you loose turn-by-turn in DIS with RNS-E, but my question was about how the RNS-D with no can bus communicated with the DIS, and now I know it doesnt. So called non DX version which doesnt have TMC, DX versions require TMC, and they use can bus.
Also Xenon cars have can bus, and mine is a Xenon equipped car.

That means I have can bus, but I cant get it to talk to my RNS-E, even when the only thing connected to the instrument cluster on the green connector, pin 21 and 22 is the RNS-E.
RNS-E recoded, and VCDS tells me there is no can bus connection.

I have to wire it all up again, to see if there is about 60 ohms between can l and can h, as it should.

Still cant find my TMC module
Old 9th January 2014, 02:40 PM

You might need to recode the instrument cluster, I did. Hang on and I'll dig out the info.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 9th January 2014, 02:41 PM

I have 3 separate can buses that are all connected to instrument cluster: the drivetrain can bus for engine, abs, gearbox etc., the we have the confort can bus for things like parktronic, xenon, etc. and then we have just another can bus for toys called infortinment, for rns-d, MFSW, TV tuner, etc.

Are you sure your car has got all 3 can buses?
Old 9th January 2014, 02:43 PM

When I did the RNS-D into the D2, I had to recode the cluster to get it to understand the different CAN, see my post here. Worth checking since the RNS-E needs the same protocol.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showpost....6&postcount=23

VCDS - Controller 17, instruments, Adaption 10. Channel 62, previously set to 4, now set to 5 as per a post I found elsewhere on the internet.