A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 27th November 2019, 06:38 PM
Banned

Default Boot seal part codes

Hi does any of you have the part codes for the 2 boot grommets? mine have long been gone and I can't find them on www.oemepc.com as the part diagram shows it as an 'non orderable part.'

Do any other VAG parts/part number can fit those 2 holes?
Old 28th November 2019, 12:04 PM

Lots of us have had issues with these grommets perishing over time, and as you've found, you can't get them. Part of the problem is that they are moulded onto the cables somehow.

For a possible solution to your problem, check out the following thread, with the magic word being Sugru:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...ighlight=sugru

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 28th November 2019, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamship View Post
Lots of us have had issues with these grommets perishing over time, and as you've found, you can't get them. Part of the problem is that they are moulded onto the cables somehow.

For a possible solution to your problem, check out the following thread, with the magic word being Sugru:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...ighlight=sugru
Thanks for this, If i won't find anything else ill resort to it.

In the mean time i took a chance and bought the below, it has the same diameter hole as A8 both for the body panel and the line that goes through it. I'll try it and report back

Old 28th November 2019, 05:45 PM

Now THAT looks VERY interesting, where did you get it and what's the part reference?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 29th November 2019, 03:54 PM
Banned

part number is 8D0971841D I had to order it from Latvia, if it fits I'll post an update with a pic.
Old 3rd January 2020, 05:29 PM
Banned

Exclamation Update!

The above part did not fit and I returned it.

Part 4B0971841F which is a VAG part fits the hole behing rear right lamp, its a proper snug water tight fit. This grommet was found on an audi A4 from 2006. If you trace negative alternator cable up to the battery you will find it in the bulkhead:

I also found a Suzuki part to fit the rear boot lid I will post a part number, location on the donor car and pics in another post shortly.

Last edited by Ronin; 3rd January 2020 at 05:50 PM.
Old 3rd January 2020, 05:48 PM
Banned

Default Update 2

Suzuki Part OD.GB-2507 found behind rear bumper lights of a MK1 Suzuki Grand Vitara 1999-2005 fits the rear boot lid:

In the pics you will see addotional cable running along the thick main one, its for a reverse cam.

Last edited by Ronin; 3rd January 2020 at 06:01 PM.
Old 5th January 2020, 11:42 AM

Default Nice persistence right there!

If there is enough interest, I can possibly CAD up a grommet that will suit and 3D print the part. It won't be perfect but should be watertight!

Your part looks like it will do admirably though Ronin. Well done for finding that!
Old 5th January 2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
The above part did not fit and I returned it.
In what respect did it not fit?

As for the other grommets you tried, what's involved in disconnecting the cables/pipes and routing through the grommets?
Is one end easier than another or did you take whole sections out? Any cutting and reconnecting involved?
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 5th January 2020, 09:09 PM
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
In what respect did it not fit?

As for the other grommets you tried, what's involved in disconnecting the cables/pipes and routing through the grommets?
Is one end easier than another or did you take whole sections out? Any cutting and reconnecting involved?
The first grommet was too small to fit the hole and the hole in the grommet was way too small for the cables to fit through it.

As for routing the grommets you have the remove all the trim directly under the hole in the quarter panel, then disconnect the battery, cut the cable, feed it through all the grommets and resolder each wire back together. It took me about 30mins all in total. I also used some sillicone grease to lube everything to make it all go smooth.

To get the big audi grommet, if you are in the breakers yard all you need is a pair of big wire cutters or a metal hacksaw and cut the cable and grommet just comes off.

This is its location on the car:

With the Suzuki grommet you just have to unscrew he rear bumper lights cover then remove the light itself and the grommet is behind it. This grommet doesn't fit as well as the audi one but there's nothing that I could find which fit it better. All the smaller grommets in VAG cars tend to be oval shaped and not perfect circles.

Last edited by Ronin; 5th January 2020 at 09:17 PM.