A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 6th December 2019, 03:35 PM

Default Re-bush or replace?

I'm just curious as to other owners experience / opinion on Re-bushing audi suspension control arms.

I've never really felt the need to Re-bush any aluminium suspension components up until this point, I generally just replace the whole thing. As control arms are getting harder to get hold of for my D2 rear end I thought I'd give it a go.

I bought some second hand rear control arms and some Febest bushes to experiment with. I have a 6t press and variety of pressing tools to use so was expecting it to be pretty streight forward.

I couldn't have been more wrong......

I managed to get the 6 bushes out of the 2 rear control arms but it was a real pain and took ages. I have, as yet, not managed to get a new one back in without destroying it. No mater how much I clean the arms and lubricate the bushes, they always seem to jam up 3/4 or so of the way through and then the press just distorts them.

I know it can be particularly difficult pressing into aluminium as things seem to pick up on the ally but what am I doing wrong here? Or is re-bushing just generally not a good idea?
Old 6th December 2019, 04:40 PM

I re-bush the rear arms a lot. They have to be destroyed to get them out, but then they all do. I made a tool to push them back in though - its a cup shaped thing which presses on the outside flange and the centre at the same time so it doesn't try and push the rubber through the flange. I put them in with a bench vice since I don't have a press, and always lubricate them with WD40 or similar beforehand.
Old 6th December 2019, 05:15 PM

I actually have the official VAG 3350/2 tool which I guess is similar to what you are using. I've been using it in a press rather than with the bolt and cup that it comes with. I thought the press might be easier.

One thing I have just noticed is that the Febest bushes are slightly different in that the outside diameter is slightly larger. Only 1/2 mm or so. Would that be enough to cause them to jam?

I have an original bush so I'll give that a try in the vice tomorrow. I'll let you know how I get on.
Old 6th December 2019, 05:32 PM

The original alloy bushes are larger than the hole too. You can see them necking down as they go in. The single-piece steel one isn't though obviously. Thats just a very tight interference fit.

3350/2 isn't quite what I've made - that looks like it presses on the outer flange only whereas mine is a lot shallower so it also touches the inner bushing, although doesn't put any significant force on it. Theoretically they ought to achieve the same result.

Sometimes tapping the arm with a hammer around where the bushing goes in helps to release the stiction and it jumps in a little further while still under pressure from the vice.

I've not really had any problems pushing them in tbh - getting them out is more of an ordeal, especially the steel one.
Old 8th December 2019, 11:50 AM

Sorted
Got rid of the press, used a combination of the vice and the vag tool. All went together easily with no drama at all.

I don't think my press is pushing squarely. It's only a cheap thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191208-114951_Gallery.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	22504  
Old 8th December 2019, 12:06 PM

Good news I've never done the upper arm - there never seems to be any appreciable wear on those.

Were the bushes available from Audi or are they aftermarket?
Old 8th December 2019, 12:53 PM

I had genuine audi bushes and they seem still quite readily available. I haven't taken the arms off of the car yet but in the spring I'll be doing the back end so thought I would get some ready, just in case.

The bushes are a mixture of genuine, Meyle and Febest.

The two bigger bushes in the middle of the arms are Meyle. The other 4 were all going to be Febest but as I started having problems I switched to genuine.

So, the 4 out one's are 3 genuine and 1 Febest.

I wanted to save my genuine bushes because I'm planning on replacing the rear subframe in the next couple of years and so these bushes don't really have to last to long. I was simply planning on refurbishing the ones I take of in the spring and then refitting them with genuine bushes when I do the subframe.

All a bit of an experiment really.
Old 8th December 2019, 05:55 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

I have found in the past that putting the arms in the oven at about 60c and the bushes in the freezer for a few hours helps make life a lot easier. 😊

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.