A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 21st July 2018, 03:45 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Am I becoming a minerholic?
haha probably.

It is quite addictive (especially when it's profitable), to watch the daily earnings increase as you add more miners.

I'm looking forward to the cooler weather when I can start firing my miners back up. It's too warm to run them right now and I'm too busy to find time to fit the necessary ducting to expel the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
Wife and kids are on holiday for next 2 weeks so I have some time to mess around in house, the plan is .....
You could get a lot done in 2 weeks.

I have this image in my head now ... "honey, while you were away, I made a few alterations": https://i.imgur.com/VtXHANS.jpg

"The good news is, we'll be making enough to buy a new house in 12 months."

"The bad new is, we need to move now."

------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 22nd July 2018, 12:36 PM

Hashnest cancelled BTC mining contracts as it has been unprofitable for more than 28 days. Lot's of ****ed off customers but that's what you get with cloud mining contracts. If you have your own machine running from your premises you have full control if or when you want to run it and if you want to run it at loss for a while, keep coins and wait for price to go up. With cloud mining they make all the decisions. Well it's good news for everybody else as mining difficulty for BTC have gone down with hasnest going offline and actually makes it profitable for me to run S9.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	894
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	19842  

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 24th July 2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
You could get a lot done in 2 weeks.
I still need to go to work and do the daily chore like taking dog for a walk. and cant really get enough willpower to do at this hot weather The plan is to get the all the bits ready by Friday and than attack in on Saturday when it will be a bit cooler as well.

Quote:
I have this image in my head now ... "honey, while you were away, I made a few alterations": https://i.imgur.com/VtXHANS.jpg
That's a bit industrial and looks like older miners, S3 possibly?

This is more like it:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	687
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	19849  

8 history:
Old 24th July 2018, 01:48 PM

The latest L3++ and S9i arrived today, PSU still with DHL. I paid all the duties yesterday online so not sure why they decided that they needed to call me and ask questions if PSU is for business or personal use and what terms apply for import while the miners itself was delivered without any of that. Anyway PSU should now be with me tomorrow.

Did initial testing, S9i is consuming exactly the same power as my old S9 and both of my friends S9 - ~1500W. I was expecting a bit less although S9i is 14TH version while the S9 was 13.5TH so 3.7 speed improvement with the same power consumption.

Also tried L3++, it is running chips at higher frequency 450MHz instead of 384MHz and at higher voltage resulting in about 10% increase in power consumption for the same clock settings/hashrate. I was hoping for higher binned chips to do better with overclocking but 3 out of 4 hashing boards are doing well while 1 is not (same story like 2 of my L3+'s). The 3 good boards do go higher than L3+ working fine @500MHz while L3+ normally tops out @ 481-487MHz but the 4th is getting too many errors even @ 469, L3+'s might go to 500 as well with a bit more voltage. I need to get Blissz's firmware on it and do some more testing to see what voltages, MHz @ I can get for individual boards and @ what power consumption but initial testing leans towards L3+ being a better value for money, but then again a lot depends on luck as well and individual miner you get.

Bitmain has dropped S9i, L3+, L3++ prices a bit further today and with the BTC price going up it's even cheaper to buy another one. With my remaining $100 coupon I can now get 14TH S9i with PSU and postage for BTC0.08353579 instead of BTC 0.09731716 I paid last week so well tempted again. L3+ is cheaper as well but I think I already have enough Scrypt miners.

8 history:
Old 1st September 2018, 01:21 PM

Been a while again. I did not go ahead with my power/wiring upgrade partly down to time, partly cost, partly do to rigs being rented out and me not wanting them to be switched off while doing electrical work and partly do to me wanting to do all wiring at the same time not just some bits.

GPU's are just about breaking even during day time electricity prices now and earning a little bit during nights but I keep them running 24/7, keeps the house at 25C even with dropping outside temps.

ASICs are loosing more during day than they are earning during nights so I have raised rental prices on MRR to be above daytime electricity costs which means they get rented less frequently. And I have got myself 10 smart Wifi plugs https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-units-...53.m2749.l2649

These are te cheap version but works well enough, I can switch them on/off from the app on phone or have them run on schedule. So when not rented out they will come on for the cheap night rate electricity and then switch off in the morning. If they do get rented out I override it on the phone to keep them online.

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 1st September 2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 1st September 2018, 01:32 PM

I switched my rigs back on when the house temperature dropped below 21 the other day. They are warming the house and making about £1-2 a day above their electricity costs which covers the rest of the electricity bill and reduces heating oil costs.

Pretty disappointing for £2K of kit though. They earned about £6-700 before the crash, but Vegas are selling for <£400 now so I won't even get my money back selling them. It hasn't been a particularly worthwhile exercise from my perspective, although it was interesting.
Old 1st September 2018, 01:34 PM

If you missed it Bitmain has introduced liquid cooled S9 working at higher hashrate. It's considerably more expensive even before you take into account extra cost for ancillaries. https://shop.bitmain.com/product/det...5628412QI605C6

I suppose it's much more residential friendly with the lower noise from fans or you may be even be able to plug it in your existing central heating system.

In the other developments DPW has introduced new SHA256 miner on 10nM node made by Sanmsung about 25% more efficient than S9, available in September, cost unknown so far. https://superminer.com/products/

8 history:
Old 3rd September 2018, 08:40 AM

Hi There,

I'll go with disappointing. They had so much potential at the beginning of the year. With the slight rise recently I've probably about a grand of crypto for an investment of 3-4 with the electricity costs. I knew it was a gamble and didn't put more in than I could afford to lose, so i'm ok, but i've 3 probably almost worthless ascic miners. I did get a lower gas bill, but a much higher electricity one, so maybe offset a little

I still believe that in time crypto will hold true, but the confidence has been quite heavily shaken by the media assault on the new tech. Probably because the banking sector is very controlling and has a lot of power.
It ain't dead by any means but as investment goes it is somewhat lacking, then again it wasn't conceived as investment but facilitating a solution to a monetarial trust problem across the internet and it still meets those goals!

Lee

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 3rd September 2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
facilitating a solution to a monetarial trust problem across the internet and it still meets those goals!
Except it doesn't. Still the best way to make money from crypto is to steal it, and its untraceable so there's no way to recover it. How do you trust a trading partner on the internet when there is no oversight of the transaction? Sure, it writes an immutable ledger of the transaction to the blockchain, but that's worthless when you can't trace where the funds actually went.

The only way to gain mainstream adoption is to have an intermediary who both parties trust (similar to Paypal), who then takes their cut of the transaction but also then has control of the system. You also have players like Bitmain who are able to manipulate the market as they see fit with huge mining resources and their other dirty tricks which is no different to banks and billionaires.

Paypal has solved the internet's monetarial trust problem IMO. Cryptocurrency has created a whole new set of problems, but while it's still (barely) profitable, I'll still play the game.
Old 22nd September 2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Except it doesn't. Still the best way to make money from crypto is to steal it, and its untraceable so there's no way to recover it.
Most of crypto currencies are traceable, all transactions are on public ledger accessible to anyone and only can be anonymous until you want to spend them either buying something or exchanging to fiat. Even so called private transactions with Monero, Dash or Zcash which are supposed to be anonymous and traceable are not that private. There is no doubt other more private versions will emerge or existing coins will get upgrade but the days of hiding behind BTC transactions are long gone. If you stole BTC it will be very hard to convert it into goods or other forms of payment these days.

Quote:
Hi There,

I'll go with disappointing. They had so much potential at the beginning of the year. With the slight rise recently I've probably about a grand of crypto for an investment of 3-4 with the electricity costs. I knew it was a gamble and didn't put more in than I could afford to lose, so i'm ok, but i've 3 probably almost worthless ascic miners. I did get a lower gas bill, but a much higher electricity one, so maybe offset a little

I still believe that in time crypto will hold true, but the confidence has been quite heavily shaken by the media assault on the new tech. Probably because the banking sector is very controlling and has a lot of power.
It ain't dead by any means but as investment goes it is somewhat lacking, then again it wasn't conceived as investment but facilitating a solution to a monetarial trust problem across the internet and it still meets those goals!

There have been several ups and downs inn cryptocurrency, it's just a case if you want to abandon it now or are you fanatic supporter. Most of my friends that wanted a quick buck have gotten out of it now and sold their equipment, mostly at a loss. I am still going, GPUs still make a bit more than it costs in electricity and ASICs are running on WiFi sockets with timers to use the cheap night rate and if they get rented out at a much higher price then 24/7.

Also discovered that my electricity meter is running on internal timer which is 19 hrs behind instead of telesync so have been loosing a bit there .

Anyway my cheap electricity tariff runs out 23/10/2018 and since I am already running most of my mining hardaware only at the night rate I have chosen a new deal with Ebico, Night Owl V2 which is a bit higher rate on days than the cheapest available and a lot higher in standing charge but free on night rate and allows me to use up to 60% on night rate. If I keep it 60% night 40% days and only run my mining hardware to match that split it will actually work out cheaper in average at about 8p/kWh instead of 10p/kWh now if I run it 24/7. Still no competition compared to some cheap Mongolian or Canadian energy @ $0.04.

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 22nd September 2018 at 04:24 PM.