A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 2nd February 2020, 05:45 AM

First glance at that photo, I thought it was a cabin filter! The grey colour had me fooled, so here was me thinking it looked like a biohazard!

Then realised it used to be a K&N!

I had one of those on my V8 Holden many years ago (same engine recently featured on Skid Factory). Coupled with a widened inlet in the airbox bottom section, it made a wicked induction noise!
Fiddly filters though, and dangerous to MAFs, so I've never used one since.

Marty

Replacement head coming arrived thanks to MJ
Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
2009 Volvo XC90 V8 R Design
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
- Hamilton's Club Sport, Achat Grey (will miss the old girl)
Old 2nd February 2020, 02:16 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

I've had one in my S8 for about 8 years. I fitted it after watching an Amercan program where an independent mechanic fitted an OEM, after market 'performance' filter and a K&N.
The test was real world driving, drag race against the clock and Dyno run. All under controlled conditions.
The OEM beat the after market, but the K&N beat them both on power and economy. This was followed by comparing a new K&N with a used one that had been cleaned following manufacturer's guide and one that wasn't! The one that wasn't toasted the Maff during the test. The one that was cleaned and re-oiled properly didn't. I've used one filter and 3/4 of a cleaning kit in 8 year's.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 25th February 2020, 08:56 AM

Great work Mikki!
Another one saved. Murple is my favourite colour.
Love that picture K&N stop do not discard! straight in the bin lol!
Old 28th February 2020, 12:47 AM

I actually like this exterior color.
Old 28th February 2020, 09:09 AM

There was actually one for sale down here a couple of days ago!
I just went to get a link after writing this post and it's gone!

UK import, quite cheap (A$10k). If it's the same one as a couple of years ago, it had had an under dash fire with extensive electrical repairs. One to avoid perhaps!

Found it's picture:

Marty

Silver with Black interior. All features as the '01, with the 'S' mode auto shifter. Dodgey rear tint (need to find a way to get rid of that).
Family:
- has a louder more obnoxious exhaust than the S8, sounds great! Love this thing - Q7 was double the price, and certainly not double the car!

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
Old 28th February 2020, 10:31 AM

Ohh I wonder if that's my car's twin sister? There were two murples with consecutive registrations - mine is W218 and there was also W219, but W219 no longer exists. Prestige haven't broken it so I wonder if that's it?
Old 1st March 2020, 07:08 AM

Could be?

But I'm not taking a drive to Queensland to find out

Marty

Family:

Sold:
1997 Audi A4
Old 1st May 2020, 09:54 PM

Having finally dried out the interior I decided to make a start on getting this one back on the road. First order of the day was to banish the stupid Clifford alarm.

As expected, the fitter had broken pretty much everything standing between him and the juicy wiring harness like a bear after a picnic basket The alarm installation was just terrible. Hacked wires, black pvc tape and big clumps of wiring everywhere, and the worst bit of all - a hacked up key taped to an immo reader coil, bypassing the factory immobiliser to allow the remote start to work

It was about 2 hours work to rip all this garbage out, then I repaired the ignition wiring using intact wires and terminals from a donor wiring harness (parts of Sergey's car live on in this one), and it started straight up. The alarm fitter trashed both key fobs trying to extract the transponder, but luckily I have all four original keys and the pin code so I will just code two new keys later on.

This is how far I had to go to extract all the tat from the alarm:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	201.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	23205   Click image for larger version

Name:	202.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	23206   Click image for larger version

Name:	203.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	23207   Click image for larger version

Name:	204.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	23208   Click image for larger version

Name:	205.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	23209   Click image for larger version

Name:	206.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	23210   Click image for larger version

Name:	207.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	23211   Click image for larger version

Name:	208.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	23212   Click image for larger version

Name:	209.jpg
Views:	726
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	23213   Click image for larger version

Name:	210.jpg
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	23214  

Name:	211.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	23215   Click image for larger version

Name:	212.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	23216   Click image for larger version

Name:	213.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	23217  
Old 1st May 2020, 10:23 PM

Took a few more bits out to tidy some other things up

It was at this point I realised that I really didn't want to put all the broken grey stuff back in...

so...

Dash swap!

Having dismantled a couple of D2s now I realised its actually very straightforward getting from the first pic to the second - only a dozen-ish bolts, five wiring connectors and 36 minutes elapsed between photos.

Funnily enough, because of the arcane way the D2 is put together, the dash is much easier to get out than, say a B5 where the whole HVAC and half the wiring harness comes with it. I recall a thread on doing a colour change a couple of years back (RickyD?) where I suggested the dash was far too complicated. In fact its dead easy and I just hadn't tried it

Drop the steering column and rest it on some foam pads so the linkage doesn't come undone and all the wiring can stay put. There are a couple of braces under here too.

A sneaky one up here behind the cluster, plus two large ones on either side and the dash is loose.

Next thing is to disconnect the dash rebar from the HVAC - there's a duct on either side which feeds the side vents. This is a bit of a pain, but can be persuaded with trim removal tools, then the dash slides backward and can be lifted out of the car.

Begone nasty grey dashboard!

Obviously I had to tidy up behind the dash at this point. I think this car has been cleaned only once in 20 years and 300,000 miles, and that was by the original dealer This pic is representative of the schmutz and detritus that infests every part of this car - inside, outside, underneath and in between

Thats better I shall deep clean everything as I go through it.

This is quite the tide mark!

No wonder it was sopping wet inside

This is the replacement dash ready to go back in, although it may be Sunday before that happens as I have to replace the foam seals on the HVAC box first.

I think a lower colour change (ie excluding head liner) could easily be done over a weekend between two people. I will get close, but likely will be slowed down cleaning inside the car as I go, and cleaning the replacement interior before it goes in. I'm also going to run the Aromatek overnight tomorrow to try and remove the stale tobacco smell from the alcantara headlining.

I actually planned to clean the interior before I started the job, but pulling the alarm out accelerated the plan slightly!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	214.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	23218   Click image for larger version

Name:	215.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	23219   Click image for larger version

Name:	216.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	23220   Click image for larger version

Name:	217.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	23221   Click image for larger version

Name:	218.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	23222   Click image for larger version

Name:	219.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	23223   Click image for larger version

Name:	220.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	23224   Click image for larger version

Name:	221.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	23225   Click image for larger version

Name:	222.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	23226   Click image for larger version

Name:	223.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	23227  

Name:	224.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	23228  

Last edited by MikkiJayne; 1st May 2020 at 10:26 PM.
Old 1st May 2020, 10:40 PM

Amazing stuff. But I think we need a picture of the car inside with the dash removed.
Sounds like you'll be keeping your eyes open now for any cars with full leather dash that get scrapped.

Having seen how modern cars are put together with the whole heavy dash lifted in on a robot arm then fixed with a couple of giant bolts your comment about D2 assembly being arcane is so true.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 1st May 2020 at 10:42 PM.