A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 30th June 2015, 09:01 AM

Default Burnzybubbles A8 thread

Never really had my own thread, but thought I can at least keep all my relevant posts in one thread

I'll have a dig for any photos i'v taken in the past but yesterday I gave it a once over with some soapy water, it needs some more wax on it but it came out well, also the fluorescent light really helps make the colour look deep, personally it needs a lot of work still but the photo really does it justice.

Im literally just about to leave now for Audi to go pick up my tensioners so will take some photos throughout the day for you guys and post them up here
Old 30th June 2015, 03:26 PM

Good luck chap!
Old 30th June 2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Good luck chap!
Must of jumped a tooth or two whilst fitting the tensioner, I saved time by not using the locking tools, at the moment I have one very poorly engine, not 100% sure if the timing is still out or i'v bent a valve whilst trying to start it, never had this before, so peeved off at the moment, was only supposed to take me half the day and i'v still got to pull it apart again to see what's up.

Funny thing is, above 2k rpm it drives like nothing has happened, below that there is literally nothing, and it's missing. Oh the joys
Old 1st July 2015, 11:07 PM
Banned

Same happened to me .... turned out it had bent a valve in cylinder no 2 so on tick over it was rough as a dog no compression. .

I'd advise a compression test in All cylinders to be sure should be between 12.5 bar to 14bar in each cylinder. .

I have rebuild 3 of them over the last 20 months with the same symptoms .. All caused by in proper tools and independent garages not using the 5mm spacer when tensioning up.. you need the slight slack to allow the hydrolic tensioner space to relax... to tight and it will stretch it way out and be far to slack on first cold start and can cause the intake valve to contact the piston.

It's actually listed as an interfeerance engine but it dose spring back when the belt clean snaps but if it just slips a tooth or two I guarantee it will contact the piston ...
Old 1st July 2015, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesbike View Post
Same happened to me .... turned out it had bent a valve in cylinder no 2 so on tick over it was rough as a dog no compression. .

I'd advise a compression test in All cylinders to be sure should be between 12.5 bar to 14bar in each cylinder. .

I have rebuild 3 of them over the last 20 months with the same symptoms .. All caused by in proper tools and independent garages not using the 5mm spacer when tensioning up.. you need the slight slack to allow the hydrolic tensioner space to relax... to tight and it will stretch it way out and be far to slack on first cold start and can cause the intake valve to contact the piston.

It's actually listed as an interfeerance engine but it dose spring back when the belt clean snaps but if it just slips a tooth or two I guarantee it will contact the piston ...
5mm spacer? Is this for the 3.0tdi engine? All I've got for timing is the crank locking pin and two cam locking pins, today I did a bit more investigation, triple checked the timing and it is a bad valve, I'm half way through getting the head off, hopefully get to the bottom of it and get my car back.

First time I've ever made a mistake like this sooo annoyed with myself, and will be glad when I'm back in my 8 again, I already miss it lol!

Thanks for the positive words thoug
Old 18th July 2015, 12:07 PM

Today I'm doing a timing belt on the replacement work horse while my A8 is porly, when I get chance I'll post pictures up of how far i'v gotten with the 8, this is the courtesy car i'v got at the moment

Tbh it's a nice little motor, quick, good on fuel and cheap to run, I might actually keep it so I don't destroy the 8 but then I feel it won't get used much so I'm in a quandary, I won't sell the 8 though so it's either carry on using the 8 as a daily or run two cars.

Old 22nd July 2015, 12:23 PM

Indicator tick tock is too loud

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Indicator tick tock is too loud
In the Leon? Yes it is I couldn't believe how loud it was when I first used it, my misses also complains about the noise it makes haha!
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:51 PM

Some pictures of where I am now...

Only a very fine imprint on Pistons so they are fine thank god.

That's just water from the head in the bottom of the piston crown

Knackered cam lobe

Leftovers of the followers and rockers

All in all it's easier and cheaper to put a decent low mileage head in and go from there, shame really but all told it'll probably cost me £350 to put it back right again, expese I could of done without but it could of been much worse.
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnzybubbles View Post
In the Leon? Yes it is I couldn't believe how loud it was when I first used it, my misses also complains about the noise it makes haha!

Bright yellow bus o love.