A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 13th March 2019, 06:17 PM

Default shock absorbers

What's people's go-to brand when it comes to shock absorbers? For the first time in my ownership had 5 people in the car and rear suspension bottomed out which i'm sure it shouldn't do. My heart wants to go for B6 Bilstein, but being a daily motorway mile muncher I feel like that'll be a bit of a waste?
Old 13th March 2019, 06:32 PM

Bilsteins are sooo good though

I'd use normally use Sachs (effectively OE) on anything else but they show the shocks D2 as NLA

Might need to do some investigating...

Are your rear springs intact btw? The bottom coil is prone to breaking off when they get rusty.
Old 13th March 2019, 06:43 PM

Looking at the online catalogues, something changed at 4D-Y-020000 but I don't know what. Both Sachs (NLA) and Meyle (£40-odd) have listings up to Y-020000 but nothing after that
Old 13th March 2019, 07:21 PM

Bilsteins are good Have them on my S4 and I wouldn't have anything else.

Yes, Sachs is currently what I'm looking at and I fall under "before" 4D-Y-02000.

I will look at the springs, didn't think of that.
Old 13th March 2019, 07:24 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

I've had Bilstein shocks on mine for a few years now. Been great

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Are your rear springs intact btw? The bottom coil is prone to breaking off when they get rusty.
As I found recently when I had the rear subframe replaced. And new ones are NLA. If you hadn't come to the rescue with those Eibach springs MJ, my car might have been off the road for weeks

Those Eibach springs have been great by the way. There's really negligible difference in ride height, if any.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 14th March 2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltuae View Post
I've had Bilstein shocks on mine for a few years now. Been great

As I found recently when I had the rear subframe replaced. And new ones are NLA. If you hadn't come to the rescue with those Eibach springs MJ, my car might have been off the road for weeks

Those Eibach springs have been great by the way. There's really negligible difference in ride height, if any.
What happened to the old subframe, was it scrapped?

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 14th March 2019, 01:11 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
What happened to the old subframe, was it scrapped?
It was quite rusty, so yes it was.

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 14th March 2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Looking at the online catalogues, something changed at 4D-Y-020000 but I don't know what. Both Sachs (NLA) and Meyle (£40-odd) have listings up to Y-020000 but nothing after that
Meyle is definitely tempting at £40 a corner Meyle is meant to be good good right? Why such a price difference between Meyle and Sachs?
Old 14th March 2019, 08:42 PM

Meyle is decent stuff yeah. Visually, all of their stuff is well made, consistent quality control, good quality materials. I have a lot of Meyle parts on my own D2s and they are lasting well enough. Most of their stuff is half the price of OE like Sachs or Lemforder. I couldn't really say why tbh. For £40 a corner, those dampers are well worth a try compared to four times the price Bilstein.
Old 14th March 2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Meyle is decent stuff yeah. Visually, all of their stuff is well made, consistent quality control, good quality materials. I have a lot of Meyle parts on my own D2s and they are lasting well enough. Most of their stuff is half the price of OE like Sachs or Lemforder. I couldn't really say why tbh. For £40 a corner, those dampers are well worth a try compared to four times the price Bilstein.
Might give them a shot. Being a daily mile muncher I don't fancy spending big bucks, rather spend more money on the S4 thanks for your input