A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 5th February 2019, 08:21 PM

Super-sticky summer tyre then - I'd bet they aren't happy in cold weather. The rubber is probably like wood when you get to low single figure temperatures.

The Conti Sport Contact 6's I mentioned the other day are horrible in the cold - exactly how you describe. The car feels like it's not connected to the road and just luck that its going in the right direction. When the weather warms up a few degrees above their pain threshold they are completely different.

I also thought there was something horribly wrong with the manual swap S8 when it had the contis on, but I put the Vredesteins on it to check and they transformed the car.

Have you got your original wheels to try?
Old 5th February 2019, 08:39 PM

Hmm I think you’re on to something there as it’s definately more pronounced when the temp drops.

I was coming round to the idea that maybe it was the tyres but knowing how good Michelin’s are supposed to be I disregarded that idea in the end. I had the same tyres on my old A8 and they were fantastic however they were quite old when I bought the car. The tread life seemed to last forever. Maybe I need to drive them harder is the key

We’ve got Conti’s on the wife’s smart car and they were interesting in the cold but I’ve found that as they’ve worn more they actually get better and better...go figure

Sadly I sold my old original 18’s a while back but I’m thinking of getting another set to run for the colder months now.

1988 E30 Coupe - Royalblau Metallic

2003 S4 Avant - Light Silver Mettalic

2016 S5 Coupe Black Edition - Ibis White

Old 5th February 2019, 08:47 PM

Well you're welcome to come down to Devon and try a few sets on to see how it feels
Old 5th February 2019, 09:53 PM

I might take you up in that offer MJ - hopefully get to see some exciting D2 projects in the workshop

Old 1st April 2019, 08:35 PM

Little update:

The 8 is driving very, very well at the moment. there’s still a bit of understeer if pushing hard but it’s far less pronounced.

In the end I reluctantly changed the tyres and it’s made a massive difference to the handling. It’s like a completely different car. I’m now fully enjoying the coilovers how they were meant to be. The car is so much more compliant now.

What I’m more surprised about is the brand of tyre that I chose - in the end I went for Nankang after being convinced by a mate that they’re far better than the old reputation they had from 10+ years ago. After a couple days trying them out I wound the coilovers right down (pic attached) and the ride was still very good. It was bottoming out on side roads with lots of camber so I raised it up a bit afterwards

I’ve yet to try them in the rain so fingers crossed they don’t send me in to a ditch

Oh....and finally 4 tyres for the sum of £270 from Camskill . So far I’m over the moon as that will just about get you one Michelin which I had on there previously. I took the gamble that if the Nankangs were completely ****e I could sell them on and make back most of my outlay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7F276013-9D0A-4716-87A9-2F9CE30DBE4A.jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	746.5 KB
ID:	21076  

Old 1st April 2019, 09:27 PM

Funnily enough, the manual swap is also now running on Nankangs and that is behaving much better than it did with the Contis. For the price I might have to get a set just to try!