A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > Spotless

Spotless For all your cleaning discussions....

Old 21st June 2018, 04:49 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle
Default Trouble with a drying towel....

....and more cleaning woes!

After watching the cleaning demo at the Annual Meet, I asked my girls for a drying towel, as used by Bert himself (he was kind enough to send me a link the the one he used), for Fathers' Day.

So, new towels in hand (the girls bought me two, bless them) I set about a full clean of the S8. Then the pressure washer packed in, needing a new on/off pressure switch. So I ordered a new one and fixed it. Then it packed in again, needing new brushes. Fixed it again.

Then finally got the car cleaned and started to dry it - the towel is really worth every penny, making drying very quick and getting the car really dry, so less risk of swirl marks and drying spots.

But, as you can see from the photos, I'm not the only fan of the new towel!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1792[1].jpg
Views:	508
Size:	467.0 KB
ID:	19593   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1793[1].jpg
Views:	530
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	19594  
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 21st June 2018, 06:20 PM

The colour will attract them, unfortunately. Never had that issue with mine, but then I don't live in one of the midge capitals of the UK

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 21st June 2018, 08:58 PM

Well that was unexpected!

I need to get one of those towels. I was very impressed how well it worked compared to my current ones.
Old 21st June 2018, 10:00 PM

The towel is brilliant and, BTW, I don’t live in a midge capital anymore and these aren’t midges (which are much smaller). I think these are known locally as thunderflies and are common in the East Midlands in warm weather, often ahead of thunder storms. Usually very short lived, thankfully.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 25th March 2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Laird View Post
....and more cleaning woes!

After watching the cleaning demo at the Annual Meet, I asked my girls for a drying towel, as used by Bert himself (he was kind enough to send me a link the the one he used), for Fathers' Day.

So, new towels in hand (the girls bought me two, bless them) I set about a full clean of the S8. Then the pressure washer packed in, needing a new on/off pressure switch. So I ordered a new one and fixed it. Then it packed in again, needing new brushes. Fixed it again.

Then finally got the car cleaned and started to dry it - the towel is really worth every penny, making drying very quick and getting the car really dry, so less risk of swirl marks and drying spots.

But, as you can see from the photos, I'm not the only fan of the new towel!
Hi.

Where can I get a couple of these towels from please?

Could you kindly post the link you were directed to?

Cheers,

DailyMike.
[BSold with regret:]2002 A8 4.2 (40v) Quattro Sport, 18" QS wheels; Prins LPG[/b], Silver; Black leather; newly-refurbished wheels in Anthracite...pics to follow soon!
2000 P38 Range Rover Vogue 4.6 V8 LPG, Epsom Green, fully-rebuilt engine (Top-hat liners, new camshaft for better mid-range torque); New S/S sports exhaust...SOUNDS BRILLIANT!
2014 Mondraker TrakkerR; 29-er, 30-speed gear train; rise'n'fall saddle; Mountain bike...NOT a cart-horse!
"JONDOR" a 116' long, 17"6" beam Humber Barge, Built 1950, ex oil tanker, fully refurbished Gardner 6LXC engine for propulsion (one day); requires new marine gearbox; 2-cylinder Petter Diesel engine & 3-cylinder diesel auxilliary engines with 12/24v and 230/415v gensets
"JONDOR" is a slow-burn project, being converted to provide suitable accommodation for wheelchair users and their carer/family for short respite breaks. Currently moored on River Humber at Old Beverley Shipyard
SOLD***2006 LWB Ford Transit 2.4 Diesel, Luton Van; Tail-lift; leaking translucent roof SOLD***

Previous vehicles:
Far too many to list individually, but includes 2005 A8 D3 3.0TDI Quattro Sport; 2007 A6 3.0TDI Avant; 2005 A4 2.0 Avant; 2007 A3 2.0TDI; 7-off Citroens, Many Fords, Austin 1100 (my first car), Lotus 7, Rover SD1 3500; SAAB 9000i, SAAB 9000 turbo; BMW 530; another P38 Range Rover (the crap one with BMW 2500 diesel engine...wouldn't tow the skin off a rice-pudding! )
Daren't even mention the traumatic Morris Marina and Ital's....even an Austin Princess. Brain is now hurting somewhat, so giving up for now...
Old 25th March 2019, 09:10 PM

Here you go:

https://carpro.uk.com/collections/mi...e-drying-towel
Old 25th March 2019, 09:20 PM

But The Master of Fibes towel gets really good reviews, so I also bought one of them.

https://waxpack.co.uk/store/shop/ext...-drying-towel/
Old 25th March 2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this!

DailyMike.
[BSold with regret:]2002 A8 4.2 (40v) Quattro Sport, 18" QS wheels; Prins LPG[/b], Silver; Black leather; newly-refurbished wheels in Anthracite...pics to follow soon!
2000 P38 Range Rover Vogue 4.6 V8 LPG, Epsom Green, fully-rebuilt engine (Top-hat liners, new camshaft for better mid-range torque); New S/S sports exhaust...SOUNDS BRILLIANT!
2014 Mondraker TrakkerR; 29-er, 30-speed gear train; rise'n'fall saddle; Mountain bike...NOT a cart-horse!
"JONDOR" a 116' long, 17"6" beam Humber Barge, Built 1950, ex oil tanker, fully refurbished Gardner 6LXC engine for propulsion (one day); requires new marine gearbox; 2-cylinder Petter Diesel engine & 3-cylinder diesel auxilliary engines with 12/24v and 230/415v gensets
"JONDOR" is a slow-burn project, being converted to provide suitable accommodation for wheelchair users and their carer/family for short respite breaks. Currently moored on River Humber at Old Beverley Shipyard
SOLD***2006 LWB Ford Transit 2.4 Diesel, Luton Van; Tail-lift; leaking translucent roof SOLD***

Previous vehicles:
Far too many to list individually, but includes 2005 A8 D3 3.0TDI Quattro Sport; 2007 A6 3.0TDI Avant; 2005 A4 2.0 Avant; 2007 A3 2.0TDI; 7-off Citroens, Many Fords, Austin 1100 (my first car), Lotus 7, Rover SD1 3500; SAAB 9000i, SAAB 9000 turbo; BMW 530; another P38 Range Rover (the crap one with BMW 2500 diesel engine...wouldn't tow the skin off a rice-pudding! )
Daren't even mention the traumatic Morris Marina and Ital's....even an Austin Princess. Brain is now hurting somewhat, so giving up for now...
Old 26th March 2019, 01:11 AM

I use Gyeon drying towels, never found anything better to dry well maintained paint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28o8WCf8h_8

Have also just bought one of these as I had some Halfrauds vouchers that needed using

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/ca...e-drying-towel

Only used it once so far so too early to say but seemed to do a decent job
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Last edited by sarg; 26th March 2019 at 01:18 AM.
Old 26th March 2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
But The Master of Fibes towel gets really good reviews, so I also bought one of them.

https://waxpack.co.uk/store/shop/ext...-drying-towel/

...and thanks for THIS link, too!

Mike.

Previous vehicles: