A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 19th May 2019, 01:10 PM

Default We are Being Forced out of our Diesel cars

they told us to buy them, and we did in our millions (i was a petrol head)
now they are telling us they are effectively scrap

how dare you buy a Diesel sir please pay here AGAIN/AGAIN/AGAIN

i have witnessed pollution first hand in Manila and you can taste fuel in the air 24/7
now thats pollution at its best (worst sorry)

i just dont believe all the hype in sorry not here

i reckon the government should be held responsible and maybe end up in court, ok ill just settle for a Free Tesla

anybody else want 1 ?
Old 19th May 2019, 01:17 PM

Its a big steaming pile of something, that's for sure
Old 19th May 2019, 01:20 PM

I'd never buy a diesel car
Old 19th May 2019, 03:15 PM

When Gordon Brown incentivised diesels, through company car tax based on CO2 emissions, diesel was traditionally a cheaper fuel to buy due to lower demand. At the time the ozone layer and greenhouse has emissions were what environmentalists were worried about.

Fast forward a decade and the fruits of that decision, plus a good deal of scientific research into the effects of breathing particulate and oxides of nitrogen means we now understand how damaging to long term health this stuff really is (the smaller it is, the deeper into the lungs it gets.....and it never comes out)

Add in that vehicles, petrol or diesel, have always been designed to pass whatever test regime exists at the time of type approval, and in the real world have generally put out considerably more emissions (both CO2 and air quality related) and it's clear that whatever fuel is flavour of the month/year/decade is going to result in some shift in the proportion and type of tailpipe emissions.

I recall buying our petrol C5 A6 around the time the higher band tax rate came in (based on CO2!) which knocked £3-4k off the value overnight.

The treasury set fuel duty with little to no regard for policy incentives around emissions - they look at a macro level of 'how big a pot will we create based on z/y/z scenario, and what levers do we have to pull'. Look at the over £40k 'high value' VED and £140 flat rate as an example of that - took away the incentives for EVs in VED terms, but re-inflates the coffers when less and less people are paying the traditional few hundred quid a year for the privilege of parking their car on the street.

Basically drive your (presumably 'clean' with fully functional DPFs) diesel on the motorway, happy that it is the right vehicle for the right use. Don't drive it in town, where it's creating pollution where it has the most impact at low level with pedestrians around, or expect to be gradually forced not to by changes in local measures that make it too expensive to do so. Or just pay up and work on the basis there is certainty in live, death and taxes!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 19th May 2019, 09:03 PM

To be honest, I don't believe anything the political elite says. Gordon Brown told us to buy diesels while the scientific researchers who were being paid to produce the propaganda were involved in hoax/manipulation/false data conspiracy etc.. which was later leaked by a network administrator whistle-blower.

The agenda is set by those at Davos, Bilderberger etc.. who are then able to steer their investments to capitalise on the imminent change.

Human's success, increased health, life expectation and productivity is greatly attributable to fossil fuels and the internal combustion engine.
Old 20th May 2019, 05:01 AM

Very interesting opinions ...
My friends brother is a retired science teacher and i had a lengthy conversation with him the other day about air pollution /climate change/global warming etc.
Gosh it would take me hours of typing to air his opinions and thoughts.
And i certainly cant publish it on here as it would start a massive debate.
Electric cars are coming thats for sure but totally ? not in my lifetime.
I like the idea of converting cars to full electric but only seen company's doing classics so far.
mmmmmmmmmmmmTasty
Old 21st May 2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto View Post
they told us to buy them, and we did in our millions (i was a petrol head)
now they are telling us they are effectively scrap

how dare you buy a Diesel sir please pay here AGAIN/AGAIN/AGAIN

i have witnessed pollution first hand in Manila and you can taste fuel in the air 24/7
now thats pollution at its best (worst sorry)

i just dont believe all the hype in sorry not here

i reckon the government should be held responsible and maybe end up in court, ok ill just settle for a Free Tesla

anybody else want 1 ?
I'm sorry Roberto but I never remember anyone telling me to buy a Derv, the only reason people bought them was to try and save a few quid at the pumps or to run red, or as stated a few years ago for the torque but i'm not sure how many people run an A8 to pull any loads that need more torque than the petrols chuck out, I may be wrong but no one has ever posted a photo of their A8 pulling a 3 ton load. At the end of the day I warned you all in 2013 over the heavy particulates those filth machines were throwing out and you all chose to ignore it. My tax money should be used to benefit the masses not the skinflints that thought they'd save a few quid

CLICK ME FOR PREVIOUS POST

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto View Post
Very interesting opinions ...
My friends brother is a retired science teacher and i had a lengthy conversation with him the other day about air pollution /climate change/global warming etc.
Gosh it would take me hours of typing to air his opinions and thoughts.
And i certainly cant publish it on here as it would start a massive debate.
Electric cars are coming thats for sure but totally ? not in my lifetime.
I like the idea of converting cars to full electric but only seen company's doing classics so far.
mmmmmmmmmmmmTasty
Now this is where it gets really interesting. So electric has to come from somewhere we can all agree on that, coal, gas and nuclear. Hydro, solar and wind are the only "clean" sources.
Now I have been working in offshore windfarm and submarine cable installation and maintenance / repair. The ships that do the work vary in size but burn about 20- 40 cubes of fuel a day and take many days to lay just one cable, not counting the initial survey time maintenance ect. So 20 cubes = 20,000 litres over 90 = 222 A8 tank fulls a day.
You have to wonder how clean, clean energy actually is. Also as the cables are under water they need to be watertight so have rubber outer with a plastic lined core but as these items are a by product of oil, when we stop using oil...…. made me start thinking how many local council vehicles are electric (I know here none) police, fire, ambulance, none that I've yet seen.

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 21st May 2019, 03:46 PM

Thats really interesting Dezzy about the cables and ships etc..
My goodness what a massive debate this could be..

what i cant get my head around is how many diesels there is out there..

buses
vans
lorrys
trains
JCB's
diggers
dumpers
generators

and the list goes on and on
at least i only do about 2000 miles a year in mine now..
Old 21st May 2019, 07:33 PM

But it is not only derv that these people are knocking;
They are now shouting about the aircraft exhausts, and that is not diesel.
Avgas is a petrol.
Avtur is a turpentine.
So what next will they complain about?

Then again should I worry at my age?

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 21st May 2019, 09:14 PM

I am glad someone has mentioned something other than diesel cars in an environmental argument. I have a client in the energy sector and was stunned to read the info below. And to think of the stick VAG got for being a bit cagey in their claims about emissions...

The 16 biggest ships produce more pollution than all the cars in the World. Every day.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ping-pollution

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...pollutionwatch

Quote:
The new study by the Danish government's environmental agency adds to this picture. It suggests that shipping emissions cost the Danish health service almost £5bn a year, mainly treating cancers and heart problems. A previous study estimated that 1,000 Danish people die prematurely each year because of shipping pollution. No comprehensive research has been carried out on the effects on UK coastal communities, but the number of deaths is expected to be much higher.

Europe, which has some of the busiest shipping lanes in the world, has dramatically cleaned up sulphur and nitrogen emissions from land-based transport in the past 20 years but has resisted imposing tight laws on the shipping industry, even though the technology exists to remove emissions. Cars driving 15,000km a year emit approximately 101 grammes of sulphur oxide gases (or SOx) in that time. The world's largest ships' diesel engines which typically operate for about 280 days a year generate roughly 5,200 tonnes of SOx.

Quote:
That pollution largely goes unnoticed because it largely happens far out at sea, but ships in seaports have become major pollution hazards on land. In fact, particulates emitted from ships were estimated to cause 60,000 deaths each year worldwide, according to a study in 2007.

Shipping is the only sector in the world not subject to cutting greenhouse gas emissions, and was left out of the UN’s Paris accord on this pollution. When the EU Parliament recently outlined plans to tackle shipping greenhouse gases in Europe Union waters, the shipping industry was not keen on any change.
Sickening.

But it's all our fault for running diesel cars, OK?