A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 23rd October 2013, 08:38 AM

You get a 2 year parts warranty from TPS so if your garage bought it from them they can get you a replacement free of charge and they bill TPS for labour

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 23rd October 2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
You get a 2 year parts warranty from TPS so if your garage bought it from them they can get you a replacement free of charge and they bill TPS for labour
Thanks for that Adrian, may be worth me following up on. I seem to remember they struggled to find me one and had to reluctantly go to Audi for a replacement. It was just prior to me discovering A8 Parts so I didn't realise I had an alternative. Regardless of whether it was TPS or Audi I suppose it should have some form of warranty on it, I'll investigate further

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:00 AM

Well that was an hour well spent, thanks Adrian

I spoke to my independant who bought and fitted the washer pump last year (a year to the day as it happens) and explained the issue I'm having. They checked the invoice and had bought it from TPS so they contacted TPS and confirmed it has a two year warranty but can only be replaced under warranty if the work is carried out by an Audi main dealer. The independant contacted the main dealer on my behalf and confirmed that they'll carry out the work F.O.C provided I provide proof of purchase of the defective pump. So, it's booked in for next Wednesday and will hopefully be sorted then.

Is this "standard procedure" because it seems too good to be true, especially where I'm concerned? I'm told if the value of the part is less that £50 they'll simply exchange the defective part for a new one but if the value is above £50 this triggers the requirement for the work to be carried out by an authorised main dealer. I don't recall reading any other examples of this on here but maybe it's the sort of thing you only see if you're looking for it. Regardless of that, it's good information to know and share, I for one may be about to benefit from it

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 23rd October 2013, 11:40 AM

Mine had the pump replaced by the independent who serviced my car before I bought it so I wasn't even the customer!

TPS wanted them to establish the cause before booking me in at the local main dealer, but because the pump fell apart on inspection they were authorised to replace it by TPS

Pump is about £100 iirc

Worth noting this only applies if the garage supply the parts - if you source your own parts from TPS and supply to your dealer you only get a 12 month warranty on parts and I'm not sure you get the same replacement policy?

The local Indy was definitely in favour of them sourcing parts for big jobs for that reason as for potentially no financial penalty or a very small one you get an extra warranty on the work, in effect

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 23rd October 2013, 12:45 PM

They (TPS) told them to go ahead straight away so maybe there's a bit of history of them failing? The garage sourced it so no problem there and pump price is spot on, give or take a quid.

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 1st November 2013, 07:13 PM

Default Update

All sorted today, washer pump replaced, recall (that I wasn't aware of) sorted and a decent report of what's wrong that could or should be rectified by my independent, not a bad result at all.

Oh, and a tin of sweets

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 2nd November 2015, 02:15 PM

I notice from the handbook that my 2000FL has headlamp washers as an option .... I have the hatches in the bumper , but do I have the washers ? can't say I am bothered but am curious ...with my life style going out in the rain in the south of france isn't really on the agenda !
I read they only work with the headlights on ...is that correct ?
and how can I check if they are there ? is it safe to lever the hatches up ?
Old 2nd November 2015, 02:21 PM

Yes, they pop up when in use. I think just due to the pressure, so purely mechanical (no servos).
Just turn the lights on and operate the washers for an extended period and you'll see spray all over the headlights, or ask someone to stand outside (well away) and observe.
If driving it's pretty obvious as the lights change and you get spray coming up all over the bonnet.

I have seen references to at least two different modes of instigation:
1. Every third (or so) operation of the windscreen washers
2. Only with an extended wash, about a second or more
Either way you need the lights on, headlights not just sidelights IIRC.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 2nd November 2015, 03:00 PM

Yep, headlights on and pull the washer switch for over 1 second. You get a sequential spray to keep the pressure in the system, so one washer will operate ahead of the other

Old 2nd November 2015, 03:31 PM

thanks guys , I know I should RTFM but somehow ..........