A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 24th June 2010, 05:25 PM
alefustec

Default chrome trim has gone milky?

I have just had the S8 3 weeks now and tidying up trim etc - one thing is bugging me though, the chrome trim has white spots/milky look to it. Tried polishing and some of the marks faded but didn't really make much difference. Looked around the forum and seen that spraying them black is an option, but the car is silver and think it would ruin the look (plus want to keep it as original as possible).

Any ideas of how to bring them back to thier former glory? (obvioulsy buying all new trim sounds like it would be a VERY expensive option)?
Old 24th June 2010, 10:44 PM

Same problem here. I didn't see any write up how to change them. Heard changing those door chrome trims require complete doors disassembly from the inside, which is nightmare.

I wonder if this milky stuff is just a buildup on top of chrome (which should be washable or removable mechanically) or is it permanent damage to chrome, i.e. we actually see white plastic basement under the chrome?
Old 25th June 2010, 05:27 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

What you have is polished aluminium that has been anodised and covered with a lacquer. The milkyness is moisture getting into or under the lacquer. The only permanent method is to change or paint the trim.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 25th June 2010, 09:01 PM
alefustec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
What you have is polished aluminium that has been anodised and covered with a lacquer. The milkyness is moisture getting into or under the lacquer. The only permanent method is to change or paint the trim.
thanks, that saved me many fruitless hours polishing to no avail!!

I wonder if i can get them chromed (not sure if its possible with aluminium?), but it sounds like removing them from the car is 'fun'.........hmmm could be a 'live with it' or back to the paint option.....i'm guessing this is a common problem?
Old 26th June 2010, 05:47 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

it is very common on cars that have spent a lot of time outdoors. Darrenjoe90 has done a thread on his attempts to cure the problem.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 20th August 2011, 07:42 PM

The only way to get the trims shiny once more, is to remove the protective lacquer, then polish the raw aluminium to a bright finish.

The problem is once the lacquer's removed, you'll have to keep on top of your polishing. It may however be possible to purchase clear vinyl, and cover the fresh aluminium, protecting it from the elements. (Audi use it on lower areas of the rear wheel arches on certain models vulnerable to stone / grit chipping).
Old 20th August 2011, 09:23 PM

Hi.

Got the same issue on mine 2... I did the metall polish and it looks great for a while then its back to the polish again..

Since black wont match a silver car i'm woundering about Gun Metall grey.. Maybe someone with good skills could do Photoshop of Silver A8/S8 from the side with gun metall grey trims?

Hm...Would 3M Carbon on all that trim be to much F&F ?
1993 Audi S4 2.2 TQ MTM 330 (my first love!)
Old 21st August 2011, 07:04 PM

I'm just wondering if a rub on 'gun blue' from your local armoury would work, just a thought...

Other vehicles
1968 Rover P5B Coupe (Modified & V-Quick, but I have to sell this now ... Boo Hoo!)
'92 Mitsubishi Pajero V6 (Petrol) Super Exceed (Gone now)
'06 Harley Davidson Night Train
Oh Yes....... The '98 PF S8!
Old 22nd August 2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nollywood View Post
The only way to get the trims shiny once more, is to remove the protective lacquer, then polish the raw aluminium to a bright finish.

The problem is once the lacquer's removed, you'll have to keep on top of your polishing. It may however be possible to purchase clear vinyl, and cover the fresh aluminium, protecting it from the elements. (Audi use it on lower areas of the rear wheel arches on certain models vulnerable to stone / grit chipping).
Varnish it, International Yacht Varnish or similar
Old 22nd August 2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Varnish it, International Yacht Varnish or similar
You'll be putting stripey boarding on the bonnet and boot next!!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs