A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 30th September 2017, 09:24 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
It's shipped now. so hopefully will get it next week.

Great

When it arrives, the accompanying instructions will insist that you inspect it thoroughly before powering it up and, in particular, that you gently shake it to ensure that no heatsinks have fallen off in transit (unlikely I think unless it's been thrown around a lot). Bitmain will not honour the warranty if you power it up with a loose heatsink.

Just to pre-warn you, each of the hashing boards sit loosely in an aluminium channel, so don't be alarmed (as I was at first) if it rattles a little -- that's normal. If you put your fingers on each of the hashing board's power connectors, you should be able to hold the boards still while rocking it side to side. I would imagine that any loose heatsink would be heard tumbling as you rotate the unit.

The Antminers seem well built and well packed so hopefully in-transit damage is rare.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 30th September 2017, 10:53 AM

Some interesting and fun cryptocurrency realtime visualisation tools ...

BitBonkers: https://bitbonkers.com/

CryptoMaps: http://cryptomaps.org/

Bitcoin Globe: https://blocks.wizb.it/

BitListen: http://www.bitlisten.com/

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bitbonkers.PNG
Views:	471
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	17108   Click image for larger version

Name:	bitcoin-globe.PNG
Views:	435
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	17109   Click image for larger version

Name:	bitlisten.PNG
Views:	472
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	17110   Click image for larger version

Name:	cryptomaps.PNG
Views:	467
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	17111  

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 30th September 2017, 07:52 PM

Not sure what's happening but payouts from NiceHash have been all over the place in l last couple of days. Ethereum payouts have been in steady decline since July and it has brought down the appeal of AMD cards. I have also seen my 2x GTX1080Ti to go over £7/day for the first time today even if it was for a short while. i think i will disable all but CryptoNight on AMD cards for now as they bring in similar money as Dagger Decred or Equihash but consume less energy.

S9 profitability have gone up so that at some points during the day S9 was bringing in more money than L3+. Some people might be looking forward to possible hard fork in November with a chance to have 2 currencies for the price of one like it happened with Bitcoin Cash as the payout on Nicehash has changed from +6% of ideal to +30% ideal. Makes me to be tempted again to buy S9 as they are still available for end of November batch for $1265 +$105 for power supply.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 30th September 2017, 07:56 PM

Just as I finished post and went to change settings DaggerDecred payout have gone up again by 30%. So like I said lot of changes going on, most of them short term, I guess I will just leave all enabled.

8 history:

Last edited by ainarssems; 30th September 2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 30th September 2017, 08:35 PM

Another thing that got me thinking is power consumption. If we take the max hashrate of Bitcoin network on 28/09/2017 at 9,708,513TH/s, and assume that everybody was using S9 which is obviously not the case as many will be using less efficient hardware and possibly few will use more efficient prototypes, it's equivalent to more than 690,000 of S9's or over 800MW of electricity consumed which while it is high if my calculations are correct, it's still not as bad as I expected. I wonder what the banking sector consumes. And also equivalent of 700k S9 -wow!!! It's probably more profitable and less risky to design and manufacture S9's than it is to mine.

8 history:
Old 1st October 2017, 03:15 PM

My NiceHash payouts have been quite low throughout the latest China FUD related crash. It's recovered nicely in the last few days though now that confidence in the markets seems to have returned.

It is astonishing when you consider the amount of energy worldwide that is being used for cryptocurrency mining ... and it'll probably increase greatly as time goes on. Although hopefully developments in technology will continue to bring more efficient GPUs and ASICs.

That's a very good point about the traditional banking sector too. Hadn't thought of that. I bet that's an astronomical figure, if you add up the energy consumption of every bank and financial institution.

Algorithms such as Poof of Stake (PoS) have of course been developed as a replacement for Proof of Work (PoW), aka mining. In many ways though I think PoW is still a better solution, despite the increasing amounts of energy it requires. It means that every mined coin costs hundreds or thousands of pounds to make, giving it real value, which is more than can be said for most fiat currencies.

Cars Owned:

Old 6th October 2017, 04:41 PM

I think it's time for a update.

First about GPU's, -it's gone downhill a lot since July, mostly Ethereum mining but others a bit as well. Amd cards were making about £1.50 per day in July/August, now only about £0.80 but still consuming the same £0.40 in power consumption. The price of cards have also dropped on e-bay as well, looks like many are jumping off bandwagon and selling cards but not me, at least not for now. I guess it's hobbyists with 1 or 2 cards deciding it's not worth it and getting rid of them. I hope payouts will return when hashrate drops.

My Antminer L3+ has arrived. I tried calling UPS and paying import duties while the Antminer was still in transit in India on Tuesday and they would not accept payment until it landed in UK. 2 hrs later UPS man shows up at my door with invoice to pay, I explain him I already tried to pay without success. He says just keep once checking tracking status and landed in UK I can pay. So I paid over phone Wednesday morning about 9:30 and goods arrived around 10am. Checked it out, all looked good plugged in and started mining, all good so far. Wish I have bought more of them.

Also have been looking at getting S9, decided to go for it but Bitmain only accepts Bitcoin Cash payments for it at this time so I bailed out. I guess they have personal interest in Bitcoin Cash and are trying to promote it.

8 history:
Old 6th October 2017, 05:05 PM

Since I got L3+ I have had itch to overclock it even if it voids warranty. So I have done a bit of online research and after a couple of days of stable running I decided to go for it. I have overclocked pretty much any CPU/GPU I have owned on desktops in the past(not servers or laptops) and so far only fried 1, it was back in 2004-2005 with Athlon XP 3200 when I tried to push too much voltage and it did not have any protection. Since then I have not killed anything keeping voltage sensible. As the L3+ only offers frequency change and nothing to do with voltage I thought it is fairly safe to do it as long as I keep temperatures low which should be achievable considering that S9 uses the same design consuming 1200W and L3+ is only 800W. Theoretically it voids the warranty but would Bitmain even know I overclocked( unless they read this post) and I expect it would be single chips or hashing boards failing first and not the whole thing so repair cost should be acceptable. Another factor is that there are other batches coming soon which will increase network hashrate and decrease payout so it makes sense to get as much as possible while I can.

To cut a long story short I have gone from 384MHz to 462MHz which increased hashrate from 500 to 600 and increased payout from £500/month to £600 while electricity costs went from £65/month to £80 so net increase in payout of £85. And temperature increase from 59C to 62C.

8 history:
Old 9th October 2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
To cut a long story short I have gone from 384MHz to 462MHz which increased hashrate from 500 to 600 and increased payout from £500/month to £600 while electricity costs went from £65/month to £80 so net increase in payout of £85. And temperature increase from 59C to 62C.
Interesting. I think I might give overclocking a try too. Presumably all you did was make the frequency change in the L3's advanced settings?

I've noticed there seems to be a firmware bug in the units we have. The ASIC status will show failed ASIC chips (banks of 00000000 randomly change to xxxxxxxx after a day or two) yet the hash-rate is correct and the L3 seems to be functioning normally. Rebooting clears the fault flags. I haven't checked to see if there's a firmware update for them yet ...

I've had a new L3 mining via Prohashing for a few days now, though I'm probably going to point it to NiceHash's servers instead soon. Prohashing is a good alternative, and it has some great feature but, as expected, the earnings aren't as good as NiceHash's. It seems to be settling at around $15-$17 per day ...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	457
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	17207  

Cars Owned:

Old 9th October 2017, 01:40 PM

Yes, just changed frequency in advanced settings. Hashrate stayed 0 for a couple of minutes so I restarted it and could not connect to it anymore, got a bit scared. Turned out DHCP has assigned different IP, changed it to static to avoid future issues and has been fine since. Never seen any Xs but I only had it for less than week and played around with it a bit so it has not been running for long periods at the time. It does get HW errors on 2 hashing boards but it did it before overclocking as well and it's not too much of them to affect actual hashrate much

Also funny thing it found 3 blocks on the first day and none since that. If I was solo mining that day it would have been 75 LTC- £3000+

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	17211  

8 history: