A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 1st July 2017, 07:06 AM

Default Photobucket

Appears to have imploded in an effort to get people to sign up to $400 packages for hosting images and allowing 3rd party linking (ie posting on forums like this!)

http://blog.photobucket.com/status/c...ge-1/#comments

Lots of the content I've posted links from my photobucket account now come up as some kind of link - I'll post one below and see what happens:

I know this forum and many others allow direct hosting, but seems old content using PB linked images is potentially lost unless people go through all their old posts and try to re-create the images

ETA - although the image above seems to be working at the moment?!

Adrian

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 1st July 2017, 08:14 AM

I saw this on The Car Lounge last night - loads of posts there are just showing a 'pay us to upgrade' message and people are pretty vexed. Apparently some forum engines don't even allow you to edit posts after a few hours so loads of DIYs are broken .

Not a smart move it seems.
Old 1st July 2017, 12:42 PM

I saw this on another forum. What I don't get is why no email warnings? Why have they not stopped it to all accounts at the same time?

When I log into their site, there is nothing to suggest there will be any change (mine is still working)

Sounds like someone hacked their site lol. They are committing suicide if aregoing down this avenue.
Old 1st July 2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Sounds like someone hacked their site lol. They are committing suicide if aregoing down this avenue.
It seemed like that for a while, but someone on TCL posted their updated Ts&Cs and it clearly states that 3rd party linking is only available with the $400 a year premium package. I guess they're rolling out commercial suidice gradually across the user base.
Old 1st July 2017, 05:06 PM

What Photobucket did is inexcusable. Clever idea, give lots of free storage, allow free usage and then when people rely on it start charging

Previously I could not get use photos uploaded to my Google Drive to work, but I just tried it on my PC and it worked.

Open the pic in the drive, right click, go to Google Drive and then view on the web (opens in new window), right click on this image and copy image address. Paste on forum as usual
Old 1st July 2017, 05:39 PM

OK it seems not everyone can see the google drive pics..

back to the drawing board

I'll post a test image anyway, let me know if you can see it