A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Interior Electrics

D3 - Interior Electrics Airbags, Sensors, climate modules, instrument clusters, switches etc

Old 9th September 2015, 01:19 AM

I suspect from your symptoms you have a problem with supply possibly by a bad earth and unfortunatley there are loads of them and you would need to study the current flow diagrams to try and narrow it down.

I would start by trying to code the battery if you have not done so already.

You can try holding the brake pedal depress to wake the car enough to get access to modules in VCDS.

Then go through each module with faults logged and clear each one individually because in my experience clear all dtc's does not work.

Then scan again to see what faults remain.

Then using VCDS and brake depressed if that worked open the measuring blocks for module 05 and see what the values are for block 1,1 Terminal status with the ignition on Terminal 15 should be on.

If it says on and there are no lights on dashboard remove fuse 1 form the end of the dashboard driver side, it should be a 5A fuse for the handbrake unit, test the terminals in the slot for the fuse and see if you have indeed power applied to that fuse when the ignition (Terminal 15) is meant to be on.

Report back what you find.

See this thread for manuals and other info

Last edited by Delboy; 9th September 2015 at 04:35 AM.
Old 9th September 2015, 08:35 AM

I'm not 100% but i thought you needed the ignition on to scan with VCDS. Not even unsure about D3 fuses and locations but there will be some big 60A fuses somewhere and relays, not in the end of the dash but possibly footwell, maybe one or 2 in the ECU box.

Just as a sanity check do the electric seats work? Then just check your carpets in the front, are they wet?

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 9th September 2015, 09:00 AM

If the lights aren't coming on the dash is it actually recognising the key in the barrel?
Old 9th September 2015, 10:17 AM

quality feedback thanks a lot, I will attempt vcds again and report back.

I did attempt to code the battery but couldn't see the 10 digit serial number on my new battery - there is a number under a barcode but that is 13 digits.

Although there are no ignition lights when I put the key in and turn it once, the radio will come on and it is definitely recognising that the ignition has been turned on (if that makes sense). All Electrics work fine, the remote control locking is fine, seats blinds lights, nav, everything working as normal - its just the ignition lights and obviously the engine not making a sound when turning the key to start.

thanks for the replies - let the investigations begin!
Old 9th September 2015, 10:38 AM

The silence on trying to start does suggest a potential immobiliser issue.
Presumably VCDS will help diagnose that?
Though normally doesn't the car turn over then die in a second or two? (My Focus will not even turn over with an immobiliser issue but I've never had one on an S8)

I recall a thread somewhere about the detector coil near the key barrel becoming intermittent/useless due to frayed wiring, and how to fix/replace it.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 9th September 2015, 10:58 AM

could you enter the last 10 digits of the code you have just to get it coded ?
Then once you have confirmed the serial - just update

might help in getting one more issue ticked off your list
Good Luck

Blue 2007 Audi Q7 3.0 TDi S-line
Heated Seats, Leather/Alcantera, Auto Boot, Sat Nav (NOT WORKING !), Bluetooth, 20" alloys.
Old 9th September 2015, 11:31 AM

Whatever the current serial code for the battery is in the battery manager module just change the last digit to something else, the battery manager will take that as a new battery.

Old 9th September 2015, 12:09 PM

Thanks guys - I will certainly attempt the battery coding as suggested - cheers.

back in work today so will be after 6PM
Old 9th September 2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
The silence on trying to start does suggest a potential immobiliser issue.
Presumably VCDS will help diagnose that?
Though normally doesn't the car turn over then die in a second or two? (My Focus will not even turn over with an immobiliser issue but I've never had one on an S8)

I recall a thread somewhere about the detector coil near the key barrel becoming intermittent/useless due to frayed wiring, and how to fix/replace it.
I think you're talking D2 HP, not sure D3 is the same + there are no lights on the dash so i'd rule out immo, i'm assming the focus still lit the dash regardless of immo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8L View Post
quality feedback thanks a lot, I will attempt vcds again and report back.

I did attempt to code the battery but couldn't see the 10 digit serial number on my new battery - there is a number under a barcode but that is 13 digits.

Although there are no ignition lights when I put the key in and turn it once, the radio will come on and it is definitely recognising that the ignition has been turned on (if that makes sense). All Electrics work fine, the remote control locking is fine, seats blinds lights, nav, everything working as normal - its just the ignition lights and obviously the engine not making a sound when turning the key to start.

thanks for the replies - let the investigations begin!
Right ok so sanity check complete and as suspected we have power coming from the boot, woo
I'd start pulling fuses one by one and checking them, easy and will cost you nothing to check and a few pence to replace if needs be. Check the big ass 60A ones too.
I take it your carpets are dry?

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 9th September 2015, 12:21 PM

Cheers Dezzy - yes carpets are bone dry

is there somewhere to get a new set of A8 fuses or some spares - A8Parts don't appear to have any?