A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 14th July 2017, 01:03 PM

Gents,

Just a small update, I charged the battery up overnight, connected to the car this morning and the MMI didn't spring back to life this time as it had previously.
I've managed to do a VCDS scan, clear the faults then scan again 1 hour later, but then I got distracted by the Bose Amp, it's an awkward piece of kit to get to but I installed the optic bypass loop and now everything on the MMI works but without sound. So it looks like there's an issue with the Amp.
Before I go and order a replacement, can anyone suggest any electrical checks I can do to confirm that the Amp is getting a power supply from the car systems? I've checked the 30amp fuse and it is in good condition.

My laptop was playing up and I didn't manage to save the results of the new scan so will try again later and post the results.

Another thing, regarding the battery, it was fully charged this morning but I took some measurements using a multimeter while I've been messing about with the ignition on and the voltage was 11.7v, with ignition off it recovered to 12.4v. Does that sound like a new battery is required?
Any chance the amplifier is okay and the car is limiting power supply to it (to protect the starting system) due to a bad battery?

I also tried the new beta VCDS software to look at battery history and it suggests that the battery hasn't been coded to the car, I'll post results of that scan too.

Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 01:52 PM

I would defo start from buying new Varta battery

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Varta-I1-V...AAAOSw5AFZZ5J-

Go to battery module and change last digit of the existing serial number to let system know that you've just fitted new battery.

Then with ignition only on manually clear faults from every single module and when you done ignition off, lock the car for a minute and fire her up.
Don't use clear all the faults option as they don't always clear.

While your old battery is out plug the amp back as it should be and then connect new battery.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 14th July 2017, 01:58 PM

By the way, I got sick and tired with my lenovo tablet/laptop x200s, battery especially and got one of them:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-ElitePa...sAAOSwFJBZR2dS

I've installed Win7 Pro and I'm keeping it in the glovebox together with VCDS cable always !!!
Battery last forever and on many occasions I've left it in the glove box switched off for good 4 months to fire it up and battery level was either same or very close to what it was months back.
Last time I've charged it was 4days ago and before that last September.
Great tool for every D3 owner.

It's just a suggestion, there is plenty of windows tablet, I like that and it has micro sim slot for mobile broadband and it feels good in hand.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 14th July 2017, 02:43 PM

M-A8,

thanks for the advice. I think a new battery may be the first port of call.

So here are the results of my VCDS scans today.

Scan 1: This was taken after all previous faults were cleared. Note, I didn't go in module-by-module but just cleared them from the autoscan page.

Scan2: This was taken having left the car for 15mins after scan 1, then going for a drive and taking the scan upon my return.

Battery History: This is the new screen from the beta version of VCDS, I can't make much sense of it to be honest.

Can anyone see anything in the scans that needs attention?

The 'sound system' cannot be reached as I have it bypassed optically at the moment.

Thanks
Dave
Attached Files
File Type: txt 140717.scan1.txt (24.5 KB, 220 views)
File Type: txt 140717.scan2afterdrive.txt (22.4 KB, 193 views)
File Type: txt 140717.battery history.txt (3.5 KB, 206 views)
Old 14th July 2017, 03:57 PM

The plot thickens!!

Having noticed that the battery has been draining whilst I've been working on the car, I connected up a charger to keep it topped up.

Having connected the charger, I put the bose amp back together and the music started up straight away. So the amp is fine, even though the vcds scan shows it has an electrical fault.

So now I can only assume that the issue is battery or alternator related.

I'll put it all back together again and see if a new battery over the weekend sorts things out.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 05:33 PM

Haha....I spoke too soon!!

The Amp is definitely dodgy, sounds disappeared again so I'll loop it out of the system and loop at ordering a replacement.
Will get a battery this weekend too.

Has anyone seen anything in the VCDS scan that needs attention?

Thanks
Old 14th July 2017, 06:51 PM

If you have difficulty sourcing a replacement Amp, there is a company in Edinburgh that repair them, they advertise on eBay. I have no experience of them but repairing your own avoids having to get component protection removed.
Old 14th July 2017, 07:32 PM

Thanks Joe.

I've ordered one from the forum sponsors, very reasonably priced.

I'll look into refurbishing mine as a back up.

Any idea how much Audi will charge me to remove the CP?
Old 14th July 2017, 08:07 PM

30 minutes labour would be my guess, but will depend on the dealer
Old 14th July 2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekes View Post
Battery History: This is the new screen from the beta version of VCDS, I can't make much sense of it to be honest.
Thanks
Dave
Battery History info is sorely lacking but there are two useful aids:

1) VCDS supply a [to be honest, poorly implemented] tool to look at and analyse logs as part of VCDS. Tool name is VCDSSCAN and it's in the VCDS folder.
2) The Audi SelfStudyProgram SSP364 for the Q7 describes the logs in detail as the revised Battery Manager was implemented in the Q7 and then the A8. Look for the PDF online - pages 17-22 describe the logs that the Battery Manager ECU stores.

Note: I see from your VCDS scans you have a 'bad' level of Battery Manager firmware.
Component: ENERGIEMANAGER H12 0480

There's some sort of 'bug' in firmware versions between 270 and 490 as described in the attached Audi bulletin.

[I had a bad one and it was flashed by the dealer four years ago; nowadays that flash is so old it may be better to buy an ebay BEM ECU at the right level [510+] second hand.]

Julian

PS For extra info. I include the following that I found out doing research on the BEM. [I did the A8 beta testing for Ross Tech BEM history code and I swapped my BEMs around for them to see the log differences].

There are three 'versions' of the A8 BEM:

1) FW levels up to 240. This is a simple BEM with minimal [pre Q7] logs. See attached sample log.
2) FW levels 340 to 480. These are the updated 'full log - as per Q7 info.' ECUs but are flawed as per technical note attached.
3) FW 510 to 550. These are the updated 'full log' ECUs that work properly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bad BEM firmware.pdf (80.3 KB, 209 views)
File Type: txt Early BEM log.txt (1,010 Bytes, 207 views)

Audi A8 3.0TDI MY2005 in Midnight Blue. Gone since 2018, after 10 years!

Last edited by JulianHicks; 14th July 2017 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Add extra battery ECU info.