A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > House and Home DIY

House and Home DIY Everything at home. Building, Renovating, DIY, green initiatives, mowing the lawn. Anything goes

Old 12th August 2014, 12:12 PM

You really been busy Scott, great stuff mate, job well done and properly.

There is nothing better than DIY, the satisfaction levels are just amazing sometimes.

I like the idea of shelf above the door same as the pc desk and work bench extension.

With driveway I know how you feel, I've got similar problem, pass the main gate I have a steep slope down to driveway. In Dynamic I have only 4mm clearance !!!! My heart stops each time I go over it when I forget to raise to Comfort or I'm to lazy to do it.

Great stuff for your garage is to paint the floor in nice gray color.
Once on ebay I was able to buy a 25litres of industrial grade floor paint for 50quid !!!!! and collect it as it was close to me. It changes the garage completely, and so much less dust.

You can get a good floor paint form your local Johnstone's Decorating Center.
The are ''authorized seller'' of COO-VAR, or something similar, range. 5litre can will set you back around 60quid. I've spent recently 1300quid with them on all sort of colors having them on brand new and really old tarmac, concrete and they all are very good. really nice and rubbery texture.
You can safe few quit on one of the basic colors, black or white, which will cost you around 40quid. 60 is for any BS color such as grey, blue, red and so on

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten

Last edited by M-A8; 12th August 2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12th August 2014, 12:28 PM

Thanks mate.

I added 3 more selves to the right in the dining room and set up the NES, SNES, N64, Cube and some speakers for the 8 track player.
I messed up on the measurements and I don't have space for the extra bits.
its not a problem, I'll have to sort something else out for them.

New sofa and cuddle chair for the front room turned up.
Need to get the old coffee table out and sort something out for the xbox and VHS plater to go, since that's all we've got now.

Thanks for the hints on the garage mate.
I'm currently looking in to building up some garage tools, pillar drill, lathe, wire up my belt sander, band saw, grinder and some other things. This will force me to reorganise my garage and build some more worktop and storage solutions.
When that is sorted out I can strip it all down, empty the garage, paint it and put it all back in.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 12th August 2014, 12:54 PM

Post edited Scott.

Nice set up you will have there with all those tools.

There is easier way. I hoovered properly the whole garage. Shifted all the crap to one half, next day shifted everything to the painted side and went round the legs of really heave stuff such as your bench etc.

It's so much easier to sweep all the timber dust from a painted floor if you intend to do a lot of timber projects. Plus from time to time you actually mop your garage and bring up the shine. Really cool.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 12th August 2014, 01:01 PM

No need mate but its cool.

Did my dad's garage and it looks so much better and easier to keep clean.

I aim to gut my garage, paint all walls, board the roof, stop the water coming in and get it sorted out.
Or try and convince the wife to let me build the garage the base of the garden sooner rather than later.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.

Last edited by ScottD3; 26th August 2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 26th August 2014, 10:41 AM

I had some time to kill saturday morning and found some lengths of 2x6 that I forgot about.

I cut one of the 2 metres length in half which gave me 1 2 metre length of 2x6 and 2 2 metres of 2x3 length

I cleared the garage out and made room to make another work bench.
Bolted 1 2 metre length of 2x6 on to the wall as back support.

Used 1 of the 2x3 lengths at the front and the left over 2x2 was used for the lateral supports.

The left over 2x3 was cut up and used at the middle leg and end leg.

I got some 2x3 left and I might use this for more bracing/legs depending on how it supports the weight of the pillar drill, band saw and other items.

In the afternoon I picked up my lathe from my friend.

Need to find a place to put this. I'm half tempted to mount it to the work bench.

I'll have a play with locations and such when I get the worktop in place.

There is a slight issue with my garage floor and the way I've done the work benches.
The issue being the floor is on a slope.

The bench near the window is about 3ft off the floor and the final part of the work bench (the bit I just finish) is about 2ft off the floor. No idea height for working but I guess I could sit down.
Old 21st June 2015, 09:56 PM

Hi Scott,
Doing a bit of catching up and spotted your AVO.
Nice machines.
I've had mine for more than forty years
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150621_213202[1].jpg
Views:	303
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	11158   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150621_213238[1].jpg
Views:	296
Size:	357.3 KB
ID:	11159   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150621_213253[1].jpg
Views:	301
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	11160  

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 22nd June 2015, 01:43 PM

Nice thread and top marks for effort. I love things like this. I am in the process of sorting our ageing garage too.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 24th June 2015, 08:49 PM

This may not be a typical ''house work'', but it is an essential equipment in my house.

I'm not a gamer but I love my F1 game (previously at least on PS3), only three weeks left until F1 2015 release on PS4 and we will be reunited.
So I like a bit of racing, good simulators at least and very recently new game Project Cars joined the list of my favourite, two games I own, apart football which I play with my mate online from time to time just to kick his ass.

Anyway, since last Christmas when I got a racing wheel from my missus as one of the presents I wasn't able to finally test it out and post some proper lap times. Not the best wheel, but hats off to her for the effort and finally buying me stuff I would enjoy.
Anyway, it sat in the box in my ''office'' for months....but not anymore.

All I needed is to be taken to hospital one night for a minor surgery and after coming back home after 2 days there, the next day I was already so bored from not doing any work that I have decided to build a racing wheel stand which would go with the best chair I've had on the night.

I say this is just a temp thing until I get what I really want, but that may stay here for while.
What I want? Build a part of a F1 cockpit in the garage from MDF, HD projector with a 100" screen, good speakers and a nice racing chair, even from a proper car, to go with the cockpit...all in the garage of course.

Anyway, this is what I've build in 2.5hours and so far I love it (dont have much time but when I do...... )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	11170   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	11171   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	11172   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	11173   Click image for larger version

Name:	810618119_7893.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	11174   Click image for larger version

Name:	811025935_21020.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	11175   Click image for larger version

Name:	811714115_79803.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	11176   Click image for larger version

Name:	811732617_81521.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	11177  

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 1st August 2015, 01:29 AM

Looks like we don't have many ''racers'' here, oh well, it's ok, I do love my new stand and since having it along with the wheel my lap times did improve so it's well worth having one.

Anyway, this one my inspire a bit more members.
Some of you know that on the beginning of the year I have almost fully refurbished new house, but I have left the kitchen behind as I was starting new job and moving then as well and it was just a bit too much.

Two weeks ago I've decided to finally do it, which makes no sense because mid year is always extremely busy for me with few hours of sleep over the 8-10weeks, hence my absence on the forum for the past few weeks.
But, I just couldn't deal with this kitchen anymore so I decided to fully refurbish it along with new boiler with added magna filter inc repositioning, new rads inc new valves and TRVs, new water heater and powerflush on the whole heating system.

Btw, this is the 4th Worcester boiler I've had fitted in the past 4 years (this one, one in previous house and I fitted two of them at work as well in outside buildings) and please do believe it's well worth the extra money, way much better option than Vaillant which I also had fitted couple of years ago x2 and they are absolutely poo. Also most people I know with Vaillants are not the happiest people.
I would also recommend completing the purchase with the wireless Comfort RF controllers.

Anyway back to the kitchen.
I'm the Howdens guy, not only because of the big discounts I get for using them around my sites in the past, but also quality which is very good in my opinion. A lot professional kitchen fitter I know share the same opinion.

In last house we've had a matt finish cream kitchen with dark worktops so this time we wanted something different and in gloss, so we went with aubergine gloss and bright quarts grey worktops, bright grey floor and white walls and ceiling to brighten up the whole space completed with 322Watts of LED lighting and one feature wall.

The two things I would strongly recommend are the USB enabled sockets (not only on the kitchen of course) and green-i PIR dimmer motion sensor switches if you decide to go for mod lighting. Decided yesterday to actually start fitting them around the house, not for the energy saving really but as gadget which isn't really pointless. I just do sensor lighting around the house and you never have to worry about not switched off lights (setting is between the 1-30min from the moment of last movement and daylight sensor has plenty of adjustment as well to avoid lights coming on when it's still fairly bright)

Kitchen needs just couple of more finishing touches over the next week so will post few more detailed photos when it's all done.

Both windows spoiling it a bit, but new doors and windows will be installed in two weeks to complete the look and just then kitchen will be fully finished.

If anyone is thinking about the windows then from a long time experience with windows (commercial and domestic) I could only recommend one profile, German Rehau with optional, ut not that expensive 6mm soundproof laminated glass. Everest and Zenith windows are not that bad, but twice as much and there is honestly no reason for it, I'm serious. Last Everest windows I've had where good, but unfortunately overall as good as the installers, bad.

Few before and after pictures, more to follow soon when it's all finished.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0579.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	11493   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0580.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	11494   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0590.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	11495   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0597.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	11496   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0599.jpg
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	11497   Click image for larger version

Name:	img 1437684632614.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	11498   Click image for larger version

Name:	img 1437684653689.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	11499   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150724_122145.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	11500   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150724_122204.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	11501   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150724_122808.jpg
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	11502  

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 1st August 2015, 08:52 AM

I've had my eye on those USB mains sockets for a while now, something I will definitely be putting in the new house. Also, nice dog. woof!