A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Lights

D2 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 25th April 2015, 12:36 PM

Lightbulb D2 Rear light cluster replacement

There's a D3 guide for replacing the rear light cluster but can't seem to find one for the D2. Got a replacement from A8parts, just need to swap it (o/s/r). Easy job? Car is 2001 S8. Cheers chaps
Old 25th April 2015, 12:51 PM

It's 'relatively' easy - it is much easier if you remove the fittings for the boot side to give full access and that involves removing the trim across the bottom of the boot opening too. None of it is difficult but requires a bit of care. There's only a few nuts holding the light in place but there's a couple of plastic barbs that need careful alignment or you will break them

Did my OSR recently as it was cracked from when I bought the car

Will post a pic when I get home of how much needs to come out (it's pretty much the same as accessing the battery in order to get it out!)

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 25th April 2015, 01:04 PM

Cheers for that. Actually, I need to do the alarm as well because I think the batteries in it are low and probably need to replace them. Getting a bit nervous about battery leakage on the pcb! Could I combine these jobs to make it easier?
Old 25th April 2015, 01:08 PM

You can get at the alarm module with a little less dismantling (just), but yes it makes sense to do it at the same time, though it is the other side.

Not sure what you needed to do to get the battery out Adrian? I must confess I only changed it on my PF but that was pretty much a straight lift out job and everything looks identical around there on the FL.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 25th April 2015, 01:52 PM

The battery wasn't coming out without the risk of tipping it up too much, unless the boot trim came out fully so you could lift it straight up. There's very little free play on the +ve terminal to keep it out the way as well, so more space means less hands needed!

Here's a couple of pics - note the plastic trim along the bottom has been removed, as it makes removing and refitting the side trims easier. You just remove the luggage hold downs and the round plastic clips (x2) you remove the centre part of each disc leaving a slotted fitting that just wiggles out. The boot light just unclips.

If you can acquire a very low reading torque wrench the attached says 4Nm for the 4 bolts on the light itself. Make sure it's seated properly with the plastic barbs through the body before tightening and check the seal is in the right place

Alarm module replacement is covered in lots of places, but if you need to do it it makes sense to attack both jobs while you're there. I'd just buy a new module rather than messing about as most are so corroded they're useless. be prepared that if the batteries have leaked like mine have (only minor) then the acid tracks down the wiring and can destroy the plastic plug, so you may need a new plug and repair wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4571.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	637.4 KB
ID:	10531   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4572.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	644.1 KB
ID:	10532  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rear light side panel.pdf (61.1 KB, 294 views)
File Type: pdf boot cross panel trim.pdf (57.2 KB, 295 views)
File Type: pdf boot trim.pdf (69.0 KB, 288 views)

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 25th April 2015, 10:15 PM

Awesome, cheers guys. Spent today putting up a new garden shed so will be doing this tomorrow now. Will report back with results (or if I run into trouble lol)..
Old 26th April 2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
Cheers for that. Actually, I need to do the alarm as well because I think the batteries in it are low and probably need to replace them. Getting a bit nervous about battery leakage on the pcb! Could I combine these jobs to make it easier?
Check out the following guide for replacing the alarm horn:

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6992

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 26th April 2015, 03:35 PM

Ok, changed the light. All straightforward, no problems.

I now have the alarm unit out and it looks like an updated model because it's a different shape to the one in the various repair threads and has the 'A' suffix at the end (8L0 951 605A). I don't have a dremel style tool (annoyingly, I sold it on ebay fairly recently due to non-use!) so looking at some other way. Any ideas??
Old 26th April 2015, 03:41 PM

junior hacksaw if you're very, very careful

Old 26th April 2015, 03:50 PM

Some pics of mine on removal - wasn't too bad at first glance and only gave the '3 chirps of death' twice before I removed it!

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/BX16V...alarm%20module