A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 27th May 2011, 06:10 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Happy to add them into the list of Recomended suppliers.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 27th May 2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
Happy to add them into the list of Recomended suppliers.
If anyone can suggest a good one near Swindon or Oxford I'd be interested to know, I need to get mine done now the front suspension is redone

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 27th May 2011, 07:36 PM

I think it's a good idea chaps
It's makes me nervous handing my car over to some of these places, so at least if we have a good experience we can share it and others may benefit.

Cheers
Glyn
Old 4th March 2015, 04:04 PM

does the whole bumper skin have to come off or can you leave the drivers side wheel arch bolts alone
Old 31st December 2016, 04:29 PM

An old thread this one; but nonetheless it gave me the confidence to have a go at changing my compressor and relay yesterday. It is a good write up from GlynC. But since this is a sticky, I add a few pointers that may help others:

1) My compressor cage had four star bit bolts (rather than three described by Glyn). Two nearest the wheel at the back, one nearest the engine and the dreaded one at the front - behind the bumper. I replaced the front one with a traditional hex headed bolt so it is easier to change "next time"!

2) Worth checking the power steering fluid level whilst you are down there. Mine needed topping up

3) I seemed to have even less room than described in Glyn's post. I would recommend taking the N/s airbox out completely to give more access and visibility. I was able to take the front bumper off on one side only. That is unavoidable unfortunately.

4) Once the cage was out and on the work bench, I found one of the three steel bolts that secures the compressor to the cage was corroded to the aluminium cage and also the spacer. Hence it sheared when taking it out and I had to drill it out. A pain because the other two were fine and reusable. The Air Compressor Mounting Kit is part number 4Z7698505 and currently available from our sponsor.

5) By comparison, changing the relay was a walk in the park. Part number 4HO 951 253A (labelled 645) replaces the 8DO 951 253A (labelled 373).

5) Whilst my old compressor had not totally failed, it was only a matter of time. Just one heart stopping moment once the job was done; I had a amber suspension warning light and code "01437 - Control Position not Learned 005 - No or Incorrect Basic Setting / Adaptation". This code was not there when I started the job. To solve this I had to enter the distance between the wheel arch and the centre of each wheel. The procedure is described here

Not the easiest job I have taken on, but all running sweet now. Should be good for another seven and a half years..
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O

Last edited by kele; 31st December 2016 at 04:31 PM.