A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D3 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 5th January 2014, 10:03 PM

I can't believe you still have not got to the bottom of this, you must be at your wits end.

Do you have vcds to read fault codes on the car.

Its quite likely that you will not hear the compressor run again if the pressure is up to optimal.

Please read through the attachments they may help you to track down the culprit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SSP_292.pdf (2.15 MB, 271 views)
File Type: pdf TSB.pdf (707.5 KB, 1294 views)

Old 6th January 2014, 02:33 PM

I assume these guys have the latest diag tools, they are well-run Audi shop.

Beyond wit's end! I feel like I might just have a half a wit left, my wife is sure.
Old 6th January 2014, 03:44 PM

Ask them to email you a copy of the scan, then post here if you can.

You must be getting very frustrated by now.

Old 10th January 2014, 03:20 PM

here it is, in my dropbox.

I am also working with Wolfgang form JustAnswer.com.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/51s3xjeact...m-109156mi.txt

so many fault codes, I'm amazed the car still runs.

After looking at this, Wolfgang recommended clearing the battery codes, charging the battery and testing the suspension again. he gave me some specific instructions that I passed along to the shop. I'd be so happy to buy a battery if that fixed it.

Let me put this on the record: If you need Audi service or VW service in Omaha, Nebraska, go to S-Line Motorsports. Really sharp guys who know their stuff. They are really bending over backwards to find this very elusive problem ( Wait, does that phrase make sense in the UK ). Great bunch of guys! http://slinemotorsports.com/.

Now, hopefully they can find this problem.

I'm beyond frustration, and have accepted that this is just some kind of lesson or test that God is putting me through Or maybe some kind of bad karma (car-ma?) I have to pay off. Or maybe I am earning good karma for my next one. I dunno. So I'm trying not to get emotional about it (angry, frustrated, depressed). My WIFE however is ALL KINDS OF UPSET and is mostly starting to blame me as if I am personally responsible for this thing not being fixed.
Old 10th January 2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidCC View Post
here it is, in my dropbox.

I am also working with Wolfgang form JustAnswer.com.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/51s3xjeact...m-109156mi.txt

so many fault codes, I'm amazed the car still runs.

After looking at this, Wolfgang recommended clearing the battery codes, charging the battery and testing the suspension again. he gave me some specific instructions that I passed along to the shop. I'd be so happy to buy a battery if that fixed it.

Let me put this on the record: If you need Audi service or VW service in Omaha, Nebraska, go to S-Line Motorsports. Really sharp guys who know their stuff. They are really bending over backwards to find this very elusive problem ( Wait, does that phrase make sense in the UK ). Great bunch of guys! http://slinemotorsports.com/.

Now, hopefully they can find this problem.

I'm beyond frustration, and have accepted that this is just some kind of lesson or test that God is putting me through Or maybe some kind of bad karma (car-ma?) I have to pay off. Or maybe I am earning good karma for my next one. I dunno. So I'm trying not to get emotional about it (angry, frustrated, depressed). My WIFE however is ALL KINDS OF UPSET and is mostly starting to blame me as if I am personally responsible for this thing not being fixed.
Looking through your faults I wouldn't concern yourself too much.

The biggest culprit is the Battery here, you can see the battery manager has rapidly went through the different shut down stages, either the battery was already discharged or its past its use by date.

That said you can start the car which will tell the battery manger to turn on all systems.

Then you could clear the faults while the car is running and re-scan to get a better representation of what's truly wrong.

If your shop decides to charge the battery instead it should be done on the car so the battery manager knows its state of charge, if you don't then it should be coded in as a new battery if it was removed to be charged.

Hopefully after clearing faults with car running the bad comms to suspension control will be ok, if its not you will need to investigate why, but we can cross that bridge when you get there.

For now either replace and code your battery, or charge it, run the car and clear the faults and re-scan and report back.

Good luck

Old 13th January 2014, 06:38 PM

this is what Wolfgang had them do: "go to 61 battery management and have them clear the faults and reset the battery management intervention to 0 .

have them go to adaptation channel 01 in 61 module. the value should
display either 12-16 depends and reset to 0"

they said : "We installed a good battery with a 100% charge, reset all values, and no change. "

Now by "no change" I suspect they mean "the front end did not go up". I don't think they did a re-scan and had no differences in the codes thrown. But I'll ask.
Old 13th January 2014, 07:51 PM

Yeah if you could get a scan after fresh battery has been coded in and all falts cleared to show what's remaining, might help narrow down

Old 28th January 2014, 08:42 PM

S-Line gave up, they don't have the full-blown dealer diag tool. So now it is at the dealership, please wish me good luck.
Old 29th January 2014, 07:39 PM

The dealership called. They said the BRAND NEW Wabco compressor is only putting out 1/10 the pressure it should. He gave me exact numbers but I can't remember them, I'm so angry right now.

I installed it in December. The car didn't go up. I took it to S-Line. They found a tiny leak in an air-line. But for the last month the compressor has sat un-plugged.

Now it's at the dealer and it's no good. NO WAY. It's as new as new can be.

What could be causing a false reading? Could a blocked input line to the compressor be the cause?

I think I'm going to put it on e-bay "as is" for 50% of book value. Or find someone to steal it and burn it.
Old 30th January 2014, 05:41 AM

With 1/10th the pressure the car is going nowhere up at all. Mine with about 50% output was only raising the car very slowly. I fitted a compressor repair kit and all is good again.

Being a new compressor, do you get a warranty in USA. I don't know where you sourced it from, but if EU then you usually get 12 months or 2 years. its possible the new compressor was DOA.

I think something is currently up with my air intake tube, not sure yet but when venting air out there is a strange sound that was not present before. I think mine has come loose, they are taking a look today as I don't want the compressor sucking in dirty air.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles

Last edited by mannyo; 30th January 2014 at 05:43 AM.