A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D3 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 20th April 2011, 04:03 PM

Cheers Chaps

I am tired of my CD's. It's one of those things that once you have had it it's hard to go back !! I do miss the choice of music from the Ipod.
Parts supposed to be here tomorrow at the dealers so will keep you advised how I go on
Cheers
Glyn
Old 20th April 2011, 05:47 PM

i know what you mean , i didnt bother putting my cd back in, got more use as a cubby hole. im using the 250 gb hard disk so plenty of room .
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom
Old 22nd April 2011, 07:48 AM

Default Update

Morning All
Thought I would give you the last chapter in my AMI saga!

Picked up the bits yesteday from Audi, the parts mans face was a picture as I had ordered them over the phone.
Although he is a decent chap so I took the time to explain to him what "I" thought was the issue. (possible size difference in the space?)

Got them home £263 lighter in the wallet
Three items the AMI the Optical cable and power splitter which is £50 ish alone and the Ipod link cable. Oh and the two small tools to remove the CD changer!
Got the instructions out, looked very easy tbh. Tells you to take out the glove box remove the cubby and connect the various wires.

I went to the car unable to wait now (as with most things) had a careful look around the job. Popped out the CD checked out how that was wired. Popped out the Cubby, no need to remove the glovebox even with my big hands you can manage to get the wires routed around neatly.

Added the wires where required, popped the CD back in then wired up the AMI and switched on, and there's she was, working from the word go. I had checked the size of the removed cubby against the new AMI unit and it was about 5mm smaller in length. But I thought I'll see if this fitts as from what I could see on mine there was space at the rear of it.

Slid the AMI unit in the righthand space careful to make sure the wires weren't trapped and it click home first time.
All done, probably 20 minutes and I only used one small screwdriver, which you need to pop the small cable lock on the optical cables.

Then I spent the next three hours trying to find the bl**dy Ipod which I had of course stored somewhere safely whilst it wasn't being used in the car!
Nicked my son's Nano for a check and everything works comes up on the MMI as it should, but my god his taste in "music" has gone down hill since the days he used to listen to Queen with me ....now where have I put that damn Ipod ....Arh yes after a bottle of wine last night I had a solitary bright though this morning and found it

Many thanks for all of you who gave me the push to just ignore Audi and buy this and fit it myself.
Cheers
Glyn
Old 22nd April 2011, 08:55 AM

Result mate... I can't believe how hard Audi make it to get and fit these.

I found the iPod battery would drain if I hadn't driven for a day or two and it'd lose where I was, so I swapped to the 250Gb HDD (plus it means I can keep the ipod in the house for listening to).

I know.. I know..

Old 22nd April 2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Result mate... I can't believe how hard Audi make it to get and fit these.

I found the iPod battery would drain if I hadn't driven for a day or two and it'd lose where I was, so I swapped to the 250Gb HDD (plus it means I can keep the ipod in the house for listening to).
It was actually harder to get the CD changer back in the AMI sloted in easy and looks superb. Almost feel like driving down to the dealer to show them!

Hard drive sounds good,I might do the same mate, I use the "lossless" ripping function in Itunes so need a decent bit of space. The ipod I use is a 60gb fat one. I find with a decent set up you can tell the difference, almost want to take it for a drive now to have a good listen. Oh the long lost days of being able to afford to just go for a drive eh!!
Shouldn't moan I guess the A8 is returning 38 on ave and over 40 on a run. Still when the total hits £110 to fill up I still wince
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:30 AM

your right about telling the difference, i had to go about changing many of the songs and albums that wern't up to scratch.

The Audi Hdd is available on ebay like the one below, have a look around though I got mine for about £60 and it included the AMI - Hdd lead which will set you back another £20 - £30 from audi on top of the hdd.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-250GB-Har...item230bb672b3
A8 4.2TDI - Ice Silver, Comfort heated/cooled/massage Seats, Alcantara, Extended Leather pack, Ambient light pack, Solar roof, Night Vision, Lane change assist, Audi presense, Audi BrakeGuard, ACC Cruise, Blinds, Quad Air, AMI, Online services, Parking with rear Camera, Aluminium brushed inlays, Adaptive Zenons, High beam assist, Bose Sound, and more

Gone but not forgotten: A8 D3 2005- AMI HDD, Audible Parking, TV, NAV, Bluetooth, Hybrid TV, Aftermarket headrest monitors, Rosstech VCDS / Vagcom

Last edited by limoncello; 22nd April 2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: forgot the link