A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Engine Bay

D3 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 20th September 2016, 10:20 PM

Me personally I would use exactly same method. One, this method never fails. Two, I've never used the blasting method which is known as good, but is it good enough on greasy/oil build up which is also super hard on the valve heads?!
I would worry about setting it all up to find out you still have to do what i did.
If blasting can do exact same job then I assume it's a quicker method, but how about the plates, would they still have to be done by hand?
By hand you have a better control as well as think and seeing it all coming off and looking better and shinier with each move of your hand is just a pure "engine p@rn satisfaction".
There probably isn't the easy answer for many, i just know I would use the same method.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 30th September 2020, 09:04 PM

An old post I am resurrecting here. But a common issue on the S8 nonetheless. Collapsed swirls flaps that is. Rather than take the flaps out of the intake and risk losing some drivability (or having to remap to compensate for taking them out), I went for what I saw as a quicker and easier solution that I can do myself. That being take out the old and put new in its place.
Symptoms being a rough idle, a mis fire code on cylinder one and eventually engine management light on. All this within 48hrs before I took it off the road. It did also then finally register a code with the swirl flaps which confirmed what the problem was. I did not fancy driving it anywhere like this. So with some guidance from here and elsewhere I took the job on myself. I did find a piece of swirl flap in cylinder one! Hence the mis fire. And bits of plastic flaps loose in the intake. I think back, I was getting an irregular intake noise under part throttle load about 2 weeks prior.
I suspect Pierburg make this part of VAG. Since the original had exactly the same Pierburg part number on it (7.01116.08.0). I sourced the new intake from Germany on eBay for £1180 delivered. The new part comes with a new throttle body gasket but you have to swap out the alloy piece on the top that takes the two water coolant pipes. So remember to do that before disposing of the old part.
Whilst in there. It made sense to do a manual carbon clean. Albeit walnut blasted less than 25k miles ago. I did sheer a bolt by overtightening the throttle body but it came out easily and I got a replacement from our sponsors easily. Not an easy, quick or cheap DIY job but a lot cheaper to do yourself. It's done now at least..
Two rear parking brake motors at the same time. They had been on their way out with intermittent faults for some time and getting gradually worse. Here it seemed to be a choice of a Chinese or OEM version. With a huge price difference between the two. I went with TRW’s. I don’t know if they make the OEM version - but felt it a safe bet. All good now for another 175k miles. At least these parts.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4784.JPG
Views:	248
Size:	541.9 KB
ID:	24040

Name:	IMG_4785.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	450.9 KB
ID:	24041

Name:	IMG_4786.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	24042

Name:	IMG_4787.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	530.3 KB
ID:	24043

Name:	IMG_4794.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	569.6 KB
ID:	24044

Name:	IMG_4801.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	610.4 KB
ID:	24045

Name:	IMG_4802.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	512.8 KB
ID:	24046
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 1st October 2020, 11:22 AM

Good job! I did read somewhere of this Pierburg replacement, might have seen it on AutoDoc can't remember. Shame no one does just the flaps but still that manifold is a lot cheaper than one from Audi!
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 1st October 2020, 12:38 PM

Just over £3,000 for the manifold from Audi, I remember enquiring for mine
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 1st October 2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquistador View Post
Just over £3,000 for the manifold from Audi, I remember enquiring for mine
Prior to me buying the S8 in February '18, the previous owner had got the manifold replaced around the 100k mark. Cost him £2,500.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 2nd October 2020, 03:26 PM

Current price is £3193 incl VAT
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 2nd October 2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer simpson View Post
Current price is £3193 incl VAT
I guess no decoke option in that price. But does it include fitting or just the part itself?
2012 A6 3.0 TDI Avant, Silver, 7 Spd STronic, Bose, ACC, Advanced Parking Camera, Power close / open tailgate, Side and Lane Assist, AMI & Jukebox, Adaptive lights with corner and high beam assist, Through load with ski bag, Audi pre sense plus, sports diff and sport suspension, Panoramic roof, Storage pack, MMI touchpad and VIM, etc. Oh and now retro fit rear seat entertainment

2019 BMW I3. Heat pump, Winter, professional and comfort packs, Harmon Kardon, autopilot

2022 Mercedes EQC 400

Previously: 2009 S8, Silver, B&O, Ceramic Brakes, Advanced Parking Camera, VCDS
2008 A8 3.0 Tdi sport, B&O
Old 2nd October 2020, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kele View Post
I guess no decoke option in that price. But does it include fitting or just the part itself?
That's just the part