A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 13th October 2015, 07:44 PM

Who did the paint for you? Don't think you've posted their details and I'm always on the lookout for recommendations as I need to get my bonnet and bumpers done some time.

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 13th October 2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Who did the paint for you? Don't think you've posted their details and I'm always on the lookout for recommendations as I need to get my bonnet and bumpers done some time.
Hi Adrian,

It was these guys:

http://springbokgarage.co.uk/

They were recommended by Admiral and pretty good in my mind. The end bill was about £4k

Thanks,

Oliver

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 16th December 2015, 04:08 PM

Just got round to having a good read through this thread after looking into a fridge retrofit. Some good how-to guides, thanks.

The respray looks like a top job and those FE wheels suit the D3, and that Azure Blue is undoubtedly the nicest colour I've seen a D3 in.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 13th March 2016, 06:33 PM

Default Audi A8 rain sensor repair

Hi,

Just a quick update on the 8. Ever since the respray, I've really enjoyed having the 8 again...more so than before. I i've been to Holland and back a few times and wanted to treat her and had her serviced with Audi last month. The fixed price servicing actually is pretty decent and Barclay Audi is literally 1/4 mile away from my house. I must admit, i was impressed with the service and the Audi Cam video footage they shared.

Ever since I've had the car, I've always been dissapointed with the rain sensor responsiveness. I always have it set to the most sensitive setting on the right stalk and yet it would need a significant amount of rain to get it moving. I read somewhere about a year back that the issue could be the silicone gel pad that sits between the rain sensor and windscreen.

Sometimes, the gel pads go brittle or people replace their windscreens without replacing the pad causing it to not operate as it should. Given the issue, I decided to change it. I can confirm that having replaced it, it is working so much better so i would highly recommend this to anyone else who may have the same symptoms.

Below you'll find a quick how-to in case anyone else would like to fix the same issue.

Thanks,

Oliver

HOW-TO:

Step 1: Buy a new gel-pad.

I found mine on eBay here costing £6.

Here is a quick guide on the part number suitable for Audi A8s...you need part number 13360151:

Step 2: Remove the light and rain sensor cover

Step 3: Separate the cover from the light sensor to get it out the way and remove the rain sensor clip using a small flathead screwdriver

Step 4: Pry out the rains sensor from its holder. I used a plastic trim remover to avoid scratches being made in the process

Step 5: You can see the brittle gel pad remains. Carefully clean this off...this took me ages as it really sticks but eventually got it off.

Step 6: Put new gel pad on rain sensor

Step 7: Make sure you clean the rain sensor holder and remove any old gel pad residue

Step 8: fit it all back together again...

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Last edited by Oli18; 13th March 2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 14th March 2016, 01:24 PM

Great Write up and Pics Oli - thanks - I've stickied it into the interior trim sticky

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 19th March 2016, 03:45 PM

Default Audi A8 Dash-Cam installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Great Write up and Pics Oli - thanks - I've stickied it into the interior trim sticky
Thanks Neil and hope someone else benefits from it!

I've recently found myself seriously considering installing a dashcam primarily for safety purposes. I had a few requirements:

- must be discreet
- must be good quality during the day and night time at 1080p
- must be easy to remove
- must have an adjustable lens
- must have a screen so you can align the lens
- must be capacitor-based rather than a lithium ion battery

After hours of review on YouTube, i settled for the Novatek B40 A118C. There is a great article here with a full comparison on a range of cameras which is useful for anyone else looking for a dash-cam.

As opposed to plugging it into the cigarette lighter, i wanted to achieve the following:

- all cables to be consealed
- for the camera (and phone charging cable) to be switchable so that the power turns on the moment you turn the key and turns off the moment the key comes out the ignition

I ended up buying a 12v to 5v converter with 2 female USB sockets and added this to a little thing called an 'add-a-fuse' which allows you to neatly add a fuse and easily plug it into your fuse box.

I chose the bottom blue 15A fuse (for fridge) in the passenger fuse box (Left in the UK) as it was 1 of only 2 that were switched (the other was a 5A for the engine ECU which i didn't want to use and the right fuse box by the driver didn't appear to have any that switched off when the ignition was off).

Here you can see the 12V to 5V converter cables being earthed (bottom bolt in the picture below and powered up using the add-a-fuse:

This is where i placed the camera:

This is what it looks like installed:

And here is a little video of the camera in use...i have since shortened the video lengths from 5 mins to 3 mins and turned off 'audio-record' as there is not much point.

https://youtu.be/9yE8P-TymJk

Oli

Last edited by Oli18; 19th March 2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 19th March 2016, 05:32 PM

That looks very neat Oli! I'm liking the private plate too, I trust that Mrs Oli has OVB 1?
I thought of you (and conquistador Ollie) yesterday when I saw OLL1E yesterday as I drove down the M40 it was on a Blue Lexus RX 450H

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 20th March 2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
That looks very neat Oli! I'm liking the private plate too, I trust that Mrs Oli has OVB 1?
Ha - i wish! ... i don't believe it actually exists. I recently got my private plate after 12 years of following it's history since i left uni. At Christmas, it came up again at a great price so couldn't resist It came off a Ferrari 599

Old 20th March 2016, 11:44 AM

Tidy install on the camera Oli.

Just noticed the gel pad thing too and will be ordering in a minute as mine is not very good either.

Thanks

Old 29th March 2016, 08:09 PM

Hi,

Quick update on the dashcam. I'm really impressed by the camera - the way it's installed also makes this such a usable feature. That said, one of the issues all dashcam users can suffer from is reflection from the front windscreen, particularly in sunny weather and at night.

To combat this, you can buy a 'circular polarizing lens' (CPL) filter to filter out polarized light, reduce reflections, enhance colors and increase contrast.

The one i bought was this one here at £27.

Images below are not mine but having tried it, really pleased with the result and would highly recommend

Oli

Without CPL at the top and with CPL on the bottom - there is noticably less glare:

Tags
4.2, audi, tdi