A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 13th December 2018, 08:59 AM

Default Travelling again

I have a funeral tomorrow, Friday 14/12/2018, in Chepstow.
I am driving down today and staying overnight.
I'll be in the 8, but you will still need to be aware, even if it is only to dodge the black pall I might be leaving behind me.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 13th December 2018, 08:23 PM

As a precaution I stayed in today Ray, and kept the wife away from her car too. Merely as a precaution.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 13th December 2018, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc4332 View Post
I'll be in the 8, but you will still need to be aware, even if it is only to dodge the black pall I might be leaving behind me.
Are you 'laying down smoke' to cover your tracks?

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds
Old 13th December 2018, 09:37 PM

Oh bloody heck. Found out again.
Late one Saturday night many years ago I was driving an empty Ford coach from Bournemouth to Weymouth. The turbo died on the way but the intrepid Armstrong carried on.
As I drove through Chard a police car flagged me down and said I looked like a battleship laying down smoke and I was not allowed to continue my journey without a repair.
Long story short, I slept in the coach and it was very bloody cold, we didn't have Webasto heaters in those days.
Next day a fitter came and replaced the turbo. Head office said too late to cover the Sunday job so just drive home empty. The new turbo lasted about five miles, silly fitter had put it in dry, so the bearing broke up. Not as much smoke this time so I carried on but had to top up the engine oil every twenty miles when the yellow light started to flash.
I soon ran out of cash, no plastic then, but head office arranged a cash boost from one of our hotels en route. I did finally get that Dagenham dustbin home, just a very slow journey. No poke without the turbo!!!

Ther are a lot more tales about my coaching adventures.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 14th December 2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Late one Saturday night many years ago I was driving an empty Ford coach from Bournemouth to Weymouth. The turbo died on the way but the intrepid Armstrong carried on.
As I drove through Chard a police car flagged me down and said I looked like a battleship laying down smoke and I was not allowed to continue my journey without a repair.
So it wasn't just the turbo that was burnt out?

Quote:
Oh bloody heck. Found out again.

Ther are a lot more tales about my coaching adventures.
Ray, you should compile a book of these, as I think they're great.

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds

Last edited by steamship; 14th December 2018 at 11:16 AM.