A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 15th January 2019, 09:18 AM

Cheers MJ

Found the base plate on Amazon for £29 so will order that.
I tried printing last night but no matter what I did it just wouldn't stick so gave up - this is why I need this base as I think that could have been my problem with the last item I printed

Will have a look at those filament companies as I will need some more soon - need a good flexi filament as I want to print off a nice phone cover and also I got given a wireless phone charger so want to design a holder for it so I can put it in the cubby hole between the seats in the car - should be fun.

(The nylon filament on Amazon is over £50 - ouch)

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 15th January 2019, 09:28 AM

3D Filaprint are my go-to guys for filament. Next day delivery, good prices, great range, and outstanding customer service

They also have Filament Sample Depot for filament samples which is a very handy site. They do samples on the main site, but they have more selection on FSD. I have many, many wonderful samples of different types and colours. Its very useful to buy a sample of something you want to try before committing to an entire roll.

You won't get flexibles to print on the CR-10S without a lot of messing about and modifications. It's been likened to 'pushing string uphill' since the flexible filament just bunches up in the PTFE tube. That's if you can get it in to the tube, which you can't with the stock extruder since it all squidges out of the top. I did the modifications and messing about and ended up with a number of unusable prints before I gave up. Flexibles really need a direct-drive extruder which is what I'm going to put on the Hypercube.

If you're going to get an Ultrabase, make sure its a genuine Anycubic one. There are many nasty clones around which have problems with the coating coming off. It will have 'Anycubic Ultrabase' printed in the front right corner if its genuine. Most of the clones don't have anything.
Old 15th January 2019, 09:32 AM

Quick reply

The picture on Amazon does ahve the AnyCube Ultrabase in the bottom right corner so should be good!

I printed out a part which you put on the feeder and it reduces the pressure on the filament as it goes through - been told it works perfectly for TPU etc.

May as well buy a spool and see how it goes (perhaps just go with a sample first!!)

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 15th January 2019, 09:46 AM

Yeah definitely try a sample first otherwise it could be an expensive mistake.

I tried this modified extruder which also supposedly works perfectly but didn't. Tbf I was trying to print Ninjaflex which is like a wet noodle. It might work with something a bit harder, but I wanted to print D2 boot grommets which need to be quite soft. Perhaps if you get something 80/90 shore you might get it to print. Only one way to find out
Old 15th January 2019, 12:28 PM

I have ordered the plate and also a sample of some flixable filament.
I will post up the thingy I have printed out later (as MACis at home) to allow flexable filament to be able to work with the current setup - no replacing parts!

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 15th January 2019, 07:02 PM

This is what I will be using - clips on to the side of the extruder and allows you to apply pressure to the spring thereby reducing the force exerted between the wheels on the filament - uses a screw at the other end.
Hope it works!

Will give it a go when the new base plate and the sample filament arrive.

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 16th January 2019, 10:25 PM

Managed to buy the Anycubic Ultrabase from Anycubic for £25.43 free postage.
Probably take five years to arrive but I know it will be the genuine.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 17th January 2019, 07:53 AM

Great news Ray - mine came the next day from Amazon

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Old 17th January 2019, 07:58 AM

So, new baseplate installed, the tool added to allow the flexible filament to go through the feeder.
Spent some time getting the nozzle temp right so the filament will adhere to the plate and away we go:

Here is the base going down.

And the end result.

But - some of the base is stuck to the baseplate and I cannot remove it (tried using the scraper but it didn't budge) - MJ, have you had this and what did you do?

Cheers

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Last edited by gninnam; 17th January 2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 17th January 2019, 07:59 AM

It's all to do with need.

Amazon is usually good for urgently required but there's no urgency with this for me.
I'm currently playing with automatic control of my tram layout. Building and testing various modules that won't do exactly what I want but a step in the right direction.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)