A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 16th August 2014, 05:31 PM

Enormously unlikely but since you have eliminated all the ignition/injection issues and you aren't getting fault codes and as it seems to occur on random corners/slopes have you considered the possibliity that there's a physical issue that's the cause? If some of the baffle stuffing or one of the catalysts are moving/loose it could act as a partial blockage cutting the power dramatically and as you turn/accelerate/release the throttle (or whatever restores the performance) it could then return to the correct position and it drives normally again. It isn't likely but not an impossibility and you might not have thought of it? Trying to think outside the box here I did have a car whose baffle stuffing started to come out that was intermittent on power before loosing it's go altogether which resolved my confusion to the power issues as the exhaust pipe had gained a dangly tail of stuffing out of it! new back box and it was back to normal. Hope all ideas are welcome.....even the slightly left field ones

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 16th August 2014, 08:46 PM

Left field ideas welcome.
One of the cats was rattling when I bought the car, probably still is. Passed 2 MOT's since though.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 16th August 2014, 09:09 PM

Perhaps It could still function correctly (I.e. Pass the emissions test) when not in the shifted (and blocking the exhaust) position, as long as the gas can get through the catalyst to react it will convert the gases still? Not sure how you could check it but stranger things have happened

PF late '97 D2 2.8 Aluminium Silver. Solar roof, Full Heated Leather, Double Glazing, 17" wheels, Sports Steering Wheel, Cruise, Blinds, Bose sound.

Fiat Tipo diseasel econobox with all the buttons and none of the soul that now does all the heavy lifting.

Ford Capri Laser: noisy, slow, thirsty, bouncy, no buttons but it always sounds like it’s REALLY trying and I can’t help but chuckle when it parps and boings along. And people of a certain age stare at it with a wistful look in their eyes that clearly says…I had one of them. And I sold it because of the kids
Old 8th October 2014, 12:39 PM

I know it's only a few days, but the last time I experienced any oddness (low power, high revs at medium throttle) was about a week ago when I turned right at a T-junction on the A595 in Cumbria where it is joined by the A5093 at the coast near Silecroft.

After that I proceeded straight to the Hardknott pass which gave the gearbox a "good seeing to" on both 1 in 3 up and down slopes. During and since that journey it's felt fine. http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8864

I wonder if there was some "redistribution" of fluid (or air bubbles or sludge?) as a result........
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 8th October 2014, 01:42 PM

Just a quick observation, your power issue seem recently to be joined with sharp turns. Is there something amiss with your power steering pump? I remember when on full lock in my old D2 it used to cause the revs to dip slightly.

Also with regards to rattling cats, that was definitely a cause of power drops in my car, at times it felt like it I had thrown out the anchor, as the material in one cat used to move and block my exhaust flow.

Last edited by Reffro; 8th October 2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 8th October 2014, 01:55 PM

Could it be ESP sending torque reduction request to ECU as this seems to happen on hills and turns maybe roll, yaw or acceleration sensors inside ESP unit are not reading quite right always. poor connection, dry solder joint maybe.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 8th October 2014, 02:14 PM

Yes, it's definitely associated with sharper turns, though not hard ones as it's usually at low speeds so minimal lateral forces.

I think the acceleration and yaw sensors are under the drivers seat so maybe I'll try to find and re-plug those. The yaw sensor sounds more relevant.

But the condition 100% clears with a twitch of the throttle (lift off and reapply) so I'm dubious, unless that somehow makes the relevant ECU have a rethink?

If it was readily reproducible I could try with ESP off and see if that changed things, but it's not predictable enough.

Last edited by HPsauce; 8th October 2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 8th October 2014, 03:20 PM

Maybe the steering angle sensor as well, giving incorrect readings, so causing the car to think that there's a slide on..

Do you get the ESP light flashing when it does it? That would maybe point it more to the cat/PS pump if not.

I know.. I know..

Old 8th October 2014, 03:25 PM

Definitely NEVER seen any ESP light when this happens.
Old 18th October 2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
the last time I experienced any oddness (low power, high revs at medium throttle) was about a week ago ...........
After that I proceeded straight to the Hardknott pass which gave the gearbox a "good seeing to" on both 1 in 3 up and down slopes. During and since that journey it's felt fine.
And is still fine after nearly 3 weeks.