A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 18th October 2014, 10:55 AM

I too was confused by the Titanium branding. Did they really put titanium particles in the oil? From what I saw on tv titanium is a highly abrasive metal, I remember a programme about the making of the F22 fighter, there is one large titanium component they had to machine out of a block of titanium, and they had to keep stopping to replace the diamond drill heads.

Anyway, here is a bit of web search info, nothing conclusive.
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/...ive-engine-oil
http://www.phillips66lubricants.com/hdeo/proof.aspx

Still not sure if I should try it. I think I'm more tempted by Fuchs Titan 5W40 (HTHS of 4.07) but its expensive. Fuchs Titan 5W30 seems to be a no-go with HTHS of only 2.79, well below the ACEA A3/B4 standard minimum 3.5

I know, over-thinking this for a 120k mile engine.

Last edited by Goran; 18th October 2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 18th October 2014, 03:39 PM

Opie have it on offer this weekend at £42.99 for 5 litres (voucher code is DAILYDEAL)

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 18th October 2014, 04:41 PM

Ouch. I get their Gulf 504.00 / 507.00 officially VAG certified for £45/ 10 litres. The postage makes it less of a deal than the quantum mentioned above.

Titanium Borates are common anti-wear additives in modern oils.

Last edited by snapdragon; 19th October 2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 18th October 2014, 05:14 PM

It's expensive the first time you order, but next service you'll only need 1 bottle as you'll have half a bottle left

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 19th October 2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
Ouch. I get their Gulf 504.00 / 507.00 officially VAG certified for £45/ 10 litres. The postage makes it less of a deal that the quantum mention above.

Titanium Borates are common anti-wear additives in modern oils.
Funny you should mention the Gulf 5W-30 (VW 507.00). That was on sale in my local parts place for £35.95 for 5 ltrs but the owner said that he could get a better deal on Quantum Longlife if I call back Monday.
Old 19th October 2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian E View Post
Opie have it on offer this weekend at £42.99 for 5 litres (voucher code is DAILYDEAL)
Thanks Adrian!
That's actually cheaper per litre than the Edge 5W30 I used to buy.
Worth a try I think, I read so much about ester oils being better.
Old 19th October 2014, 01:04 PM

I'm pretty sure I normally manage to get away with 1.5 bottles per oil change, but you'll know by what's left from 2 bottles whether that should work. I think you can buy 1 litre bottles if necessary.

Mine never uses a drop between oil changes with the Fuchs oil

Old 25th October 2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Funny you should mention the Gulf 5W-30 (VW 507.00). That was on sale in my local parts place for £35.95 for 5 ltrs but the owner said that he could get a better deal on Quantum Longlife if I call back Monday.
The Quantum Platinum 5W-40(meets 505.01) came in at £18.85 for 5 ltrs so I got that. I appreciate that this is for fixed interval/10k miles servicing but as I change it every year its not a problem.
Old 28th October 2014, 05:33 PM

a lot of people on audisrs and rs246 and Unit 20 and MRC appear to be using Quantum Platinum 5W40, to me that is a good recommendation.
I would like to know its HTHS value but cant find it.
Even though its more expensive I would like to try Fuchs ester based oil. I think Opie oils said Fuchs (not the ester one though) is factory fill for several German auto makers, not sure if Audi is amongst them.

Audi further confuse the issue in the manuals. Some people's D2 S8 are 502 standard, some are 503. One calls for 5W40 the other for 5W30, but its the same engine.

From now on I'm ignoring the XWYY coding and looking at HTHS first, then kinematic viscosity at 100C and at 40C, and pour point etc.

Last edited by Goran; 28th October 2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 28th October 2014, 06:33 PM

I'd ignore what the manual says about the oil standards, as both annual and longlife service 50 codes have changed since the cars were new. The quantum/TPS link I posted suggests 5w40 for our engines, whereas the A6 we had should have 5w30 - similar vintage but different applications none the less.

The quantum oils are a good bit cheaper - I forget it they're made by Castrol or Shell these days? The Fuchs is good particularly for the B6 S4 and B5 S/RS4 as it seems to reduce camchain noise on the S4 and protect the turbos on the B5s