A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 14th June 2013, 06:33 PM

TW Tyres in Rugby are usually pretty good on price too, and more importantly, they know their stuff
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 24th April 2014, 08:44 PM

just to resurrect this thread / question - I'm waiting for my FL Avus alloys to be refurbed then will fit new 18" rubber in the OEM size.

Uniroyal have released the Rainsport 3 tyre and at £110 each they look like a bargain - and seem to be getting positive comments on various (forum) reviews. Am I mad to be considering them ?
Old 24th April 2014, 09:15 PM

At that price they are a bargain, and you know what they say about bargains…

If it was me, I'd consider it if they stood comparison against the leading tyres recommended for this car (i.e. Michelin PS3/Supersports/Contintental equivalent, Dunlops etc).

It also depends on your driving style - if you're not going to be thrashing the car, then you've probably got a wider choice of tyres, and the "premium price" of a "premium tyre" is probably not worth paying, unless you're fussy about the tyre brand, which some people are.
Old 24th April 2014, 11:05 PM

OEM size would be 245/45R18 and £110 seems relatively cheap.

I have Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's (100W, XL) on my S8 for summer and they're about £125 minimum depending where you buy.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 13th June 2014, 08:06 PM

Another question about tyres - would 245/40 R18 Vredestein Sessantas fit correctly on the OEM alloys? Currently have Potenzas, but will need replacing soon and the Sessantas are superb on my C5 so I thought I might try them on the S8, but they seem to only be available in 245/40 R18 rather than 245/45.
Old 14th June 2014, 10:49 AM

I wouldn't - that 5% difference will make the car look under-tyred as well as changing your speedo and odometer calibration.

I don't find the Vred's that cheap to be worth using anyway - you can get Continentals, Dunlops or Michelins for very little more or if you shop around, often less!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 22nd June 2014, 05:03 PM

I've got Michelin Super Sports on mine. Did a track day recently and they are superb. Not sure what they are like in the wet as it doesn't rain much in Dubai.
2001 D2 S8. Volcano black. KW Variant 1 coilovers. EBC Turbo grooved discs with Yellow Stuff pads. 19 inch R8 replica wheels with 255/35/19 Michelin Super Sport. In the UK, 1990 Audi 90 2.3 20v Quattro with just 65,000 on the clock and in mint condition.
Old 14th November 2014, 04:20 PM

I have just had 4 x Falken ZE 914 18 inchers put on my S8 today. I ran Falken winter tyres on my previous car for 2 winter seasons and was very impressed by them, given the cost. If anyone's interested I will post up some comments once they have some miles on them. Initial feeling are a marked improvement in grip and reduction in road noise, but then the old tyres were rather old Federal and Hero (who?) mix so not much to go by.
Old 15th November 2014, 10:19 AM

I had my 20's refurbished recently, and decided to fit new tyres instead of refitting the mix of tyres the car had previously. I don't thrash the S8 the same way I thrash the S4, so I opted to go for Khumo Ecsta Sports, and I'm really glad I did. The ride is really smooth, quite, and they are quite a grippy tyre for the cost - around £550 for a set of four. In saying I don't thrash the car... I recently took the car on the track at Castle Combe where the tyres proved to be pretty good for a handful of laps, then the started to get all slippery due to heat build up, obviously not an issue on the road!

So my conclusion, a great tyre for the money, but don't be expecting 'Pilot Sport' levels of grip.