A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 19th March 2012, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
that all checks out Jake as others have said but you may well need to put 10 or 15mm spacers on your front wheels at least. Singh's 9" wheels were on a later S8 which had a slightly different brake and suspension set up to earlier FL cars and all PF cars (which yours is) - it is possible you will get some rubbing on the inner edges if you dont space them but as long as you are aware of this then its the worst case scenario that you might need to do this.

You also need to check the thickness at the hub to make sure that you dont need longer wheel bolts but again you can do this once you have the wheels there and measure against the existing ones.

Great wheels - they look great on a D2 I think one of the German A8 Freunde guys has already used them too!

They also fit D3's -

Thanks everybody for the advice, it will be delivered with the original wheel bolts, so these should be sufficient I think.

Spacing the wheels is not legal in Denmark, but with the ET37.. isnīt the wheels moved further outwards?

Looks damn good on that D2 is it 20 also?... Iīm guessing his tire profile might be less than 40 though

/Jake
Old 19th March 2012, 06:51 PM

In that case I would keep the new tyres to 255 35 20's that way you'll reduce risk of a wider tyre catching and as you see below the difference between those and the 18" sport wheels is minimal and within tolerances -

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tyre 1.JPG
Views:	803
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	2995  

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 19th March 2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
In that case I would keep the new tyres to 255 35 20's that way you'll reduce risk of a wider tyre catching and as you see below the difference between those and the 18" sport wheels is minimal and within tolerances -

In that case I will go with some illegal spacers instead... donīt really have a budget for another Ģ1200 for tyres this summer

Cheers for the good advice, No D2 owners in Denmark it seems... atleast not advice-giving ones

/Jake
Old 19th March 2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake242 View Post
Cheers for the good advice, No D2 owners in Denmark it seems... atleast not advice-giving ones

/Jake
Youre very welcome to stick around here! lets see some pics of the car sometime soon!

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 20th March 2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
I guess it is too rare in Denmark because of price. I used to live in Denmark 2000-2003. Can't recall seeing much if any A8's back then.

I bought German import A6 C4 without Danish tax back then in auction in Vejle and there were not many A6's around either most you could see were German tourists. I paid around 40 000 DKR( in 2001) for 1994 A6 and it would have cost over another 100 000 DKR to register it in Denmark.

Anyway back to tyre size. Sergey uses higher profile 245/50R18 tyres without problems so you might get away with 265/40R20 as well just try them and you will see. If your A8 is with standard suspension then hope is higher.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 20th March 2012, 01:15 PM

Default Tire size

I had 275 35 all round on my preface lift but the front tires were rubbing on the inside...the rears were fine..the 265 shouldnt rub on the inside...however it's whether you hit the hub knuckle at the top...the difference in rolling diameter is about at 2 cm...which means you need an extra 1cm over what I had at the top...which you might just manage...
01 Audi a8 fl sport - Grey, Bose, Glass Sunroof, S8 grill/mirror covers/wheels, Aftermarket Exhaust, very quick and lots of fun!!!!!....well I gave it one final push on the pedal to hear that v8 growl and then it was off to a new home.....
99 Audi a8 fl - Silver, Black alcantara seat/ S8 grill/side mirror, MFSW, Solar Sunroof, 17" Monoblocks (for that extra cushion of air), Rnsc, Bose.....great motorway cruiser....now gone to a new home
02 Final Edition S8 - Avus Silver, Extended Leather Pack III, Front & Rear Heated Seats, Servo, Blinds, Rear Seat Entairtainment with Playstation, Bose, Bi Xenons.....now gone to a new home
97 PF A8 4.2 quattro sport - Cashmere Grey, Servo, RNS E, Blinds, Bose, 20 Final Edition Alloys, LPG....sold sadly and will be missed
03 S4 V8 Saloon - Misano red, Manual, Milltek, Bose, Xenons, RNS E - Sold as of Feb 2012

Old 20th March 2012, 02:52 PM

Thanks for all the input guys, I have a positive feeling about it... although my past with cars has been somewhat of a mixed bag, so hopefully my luck is turning... This A8 has turned it around as of now... with no problems and just a damn joy to drive

Gasoline expensens, insurance and other funstuff like maintanence prices... are not gonna ruin that!
Old 26th March 2012, 07:22 PM

Hi Guys, just wanted to post some pictures with my new rims on... they fit!!!

Thanks for all the advice

/Jake
Old 26th March 2012, 07:57 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

I like those. Dog's danglies.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 26th March 2012, 07:58 PM

Them's nice

I know.. I know..