A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Transmission

D3 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 4th April 2016, 03:25 PM

Default gear box remap D3

Hi gents,

Anyone had any experiance with a gearbox remap? I was looking at doing this and combining it with a stage 2 remap. I find the gearbox just lags on changes and could be better.
How do i know which gearbox i have? Seems i need to know a DQ number.

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th April 2016, 03:55 PM

MRC remapped mine slightly (changed something to deal with the extra torque) but said that it wasn't worth spending much time on IF all you want is quicker shifts... Something about it being a slow shifter. I think it's a bit of a lazy box but if anyone will know I guess it will be someone like MRC. Give them a bell. Won't cost anything to ask.

Mine is quite laggy in Sport mode as after the remap it just pulls like bu99ery all the way to the red line and when the TCU decides it needs to change gear, it's like someone has turned the engine off... Then the TCU makes its mind up to upchange a second later (which feels like 5 seconds when you're gunning it) and whoooaaaa..... off it gallops again toward the red line. I don't think you will ever get super speedy shifts from these older 6 speed boxes TBH.

Last edited by Lee S; 4th April 2016 at 03:58 PM.
Old 4th April 2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S View Post
MRC remapped mine slightly (changed something to deal with the extra torque) but said that it wasn't worth spending much time on IF all you want is quicker shifts... Something about it being a slow shifter. I think it's a bit of a lazy box but if anyone will know I guess it will be someone like MRC. Give them a bell. Won't cost anything to ask.

Mine is quite laggy in Sport mode as after the remap it just pulls like bu99ery all the way to the red line and when the TCU decides it needs to change gear, it's like someone has turned the engine off... Then the TCU makes its mind up to upchange a second later (which feels like 5 seconds when you're gunning it) and whoooaaaa..... off it gallops again toward the red line. I don't think you will ever get super speedy shifts from these older 6 speed boxes TBH.
Thanks for the info! That's good to know. It seems to be the type of car/gearbox that loves to pull real hard and then you relax of the acceleration a little for a gear change and put your foot down again and away you go again with the surge of torque.

It's just frustrating that we can't get the box to be more snappy. Plenty of companies claiming to change gear change to be more reactive but as you say there probably ain't much we can do with it.

Check the link below.

http://www.amdtuning.com/audi/a8s8/d...ftware-upgrade
Old 4th April 2016, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8P View Post
Thanks for the info! That's good to know. It seems to be the type of car/gearbox that loves to pull real hard and then you relax of the acceleration a little for a gear change and put your foot down again and away you go again with the surge of torque.

It's just frustrating that we can't get the box to be more snappy. Plenty of companies claiming to change gear change to be more reactive but as you say there probably ain't much we can do with it.

Check the link below.

http://www.amdtuning.com/audi/a8s8/d...ftware-upgrade
As far as I know neither the A8 or S8 have a DSG box but I stand to be corrected! I have done a remap on an A5 that had a DSG box though and it drove much differently than the old torque converter autos, which are just slow by design compared to a DSG box.

I find if I really want to push on, driving in manual is best. Change up at an indicated 36-3700 and by the time it's thought about it and actually done it, it'll be sat just under 4k so still pulling but not stopping on the limiter first.
Old 4th April 2016, 07:46 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any variant of any D3 has ever been fitted with a "DSG" gearbox. They were either CVT or ZF 6 Speed Tip-Tronic. DSG is a "direct-shift gearbox" with the double gearbox/clutch system and I don't think there has ever been one fitted to a D3. So AMD Tuning... really? Generic incorrect ad on the website or complete lack of A8 knowledge?

As I said, speak to MRC as they are the boys to ask. The box in mine is the same box as an RS6 I think and the Q7 and MRC told me NEVER to expect anything much in the way of snappy shifts. It's just not going to happen due to design. They may be able to tweak it slightly but tbh is it worth it? I don't find it lacking any more and I tend to drive around in "Drive" and floor it and off it goes. I very rarely use Sport mode to be honest as with the extra torque of the remap, "D" mode works a treat coupled with a heavy hoof and kickdown.

Last edited by Lee S; 4th April 2016 at 07:48 PM.
Old 5th April 2016, 12:16 PM

Ok well I think you have convinced me to leave it then. Just for future info if I purchase a 4.2tdi V8 quattro D4 is the gearbox different on that?
Old 5th April 2016, 02:01 PM

Yes. That's an 8 speed ZF and I wouldn't touch that either as it is a more modern unit but using the same technology as far as I know. Shifts may be a touch quicker on the new ones, but maybe someone who has had D3 and then D4 will be along to give you a more accurate view.
Old 5th April 2016, 02:27 PM

I've not driven a D4 or a car with the new ZF 8 speed 'box, but all the reviews of it suggest it's near faultless, in terms of efficiency, speed and the electronics knowing which gear to be in when you want it. It's used in tons of cars right now isn't it, like the go to auto 'box for all manufacturers.

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 5th April 2016, 03:28 PM

I think if its a 3.0 tdi D4 then you will get the 7 speed s-tronic gearbox but for the 4.2tdi and S8 and W12 etc they stuck with the ZF 8 speed as it can handle more torque than the s-tronic box

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 22nd April 2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee S View Post

I don't know about anyone else but my auto box irritates me on occasions.

be interesting to hear your findings on the tcu map Lee, it bugs me that the box doesn't seem to use the torque of the V8 very well; like you want to give it a poke, rather than just riding the wave of torque you have to wait for it to decide it wants to downshift and it gets to a point where the revs are too far up there you're completely missing the torque band and your move ends up taking longer and feeling slower as a result.

Factory: finger print, tv, xenons, keyless entry & go, soft close boot, 19s, and probably lots more besides

Done: fixed headlight washer leak, fit Bluetooth in place of factory phone

To do: DAB, DTV, fix soft close boot, get a spare key, investigate NSF bushes,