A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 20th November 2017, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Is it something like an interconnect between the gear shift and ignition?
Bingo Damn thing is the bane of my life! Can't move the shifter without the key in, can't take the key out with it in neutral. Can't open the door with an 8 on the lift, can't roll it in park.

No more auto shifter = no more stupid interlock cable
Old 20th November 2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Would a little 3.7 be any good as a shunter?
Those 3.7 insults never fail...

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 21st November 2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
Those 3.7 insults never fail...
It was so predictable too eh. I may well have been doing a bit of Neil fishing there TBH

Bright yellow bus o love.
Old 22nd November 2017, 04:46 PM

Fun for the UPS man:

Propshaft going off to be stretched by 122mm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20171122_005.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	17544  
Old 25th November 2017, 01:23 PM

OK, I've just read through this thread and I'm, frankly, in awe. What an amazing restoration! I have two questions:

1) MJ, will you please work on a D3?

2) MJ, are you... uh... married?
*licks index finger and straightens eyebrows*

2008 Audi S8
Old 31st May 2020, 10:58 AM

Back out of winter storage:

This thread got a bit distracted in the last few pages I think, but in case it wasn't posted, I bought Big Red from Dean when he found his red FE. I had big plans for her, but things haven't worked out like I planned and now I have the murple for mucking about with so in the next few weeks I will be fettling a few things which got missed when BR was in the workshop originally, getting her professionally polished and detailed, and then she will be up for sale. Much as I will miss her, better someone else gets to enjoy one of the best looking and most sorted D2s in the UK than her being a driveway ornament.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200531_104626.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	23417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200531_104638.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	23418  
Old 10th June 2020, 01:42 PM

Thumbs up Great job MJ👍

A very good read, fantastic job MJ.👍
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Since the gearbox is working nicely, the sump isn't leaking, and the ATF is in good condition, we're leaving that alone for now. I'll just top it up once everything is back together and a full fluid change can be a job for the sucky-pumpy-squirty machine at some point in the future.
Well, didn't that come full circle and bite me on the arse a mere 10k miles later

After retrieving BR from storage, I noticed a shudder in from the gearbox in D around the point where the converter clutch should lock up. Whilst studiously ignoring this and driving everywhere in S, reverse then stopped working too. Reverse was just an F125 fault as it could be persuaded to work by holding the gear stick in a particular position between R and P. I have a box full of repaired F125s so I thought I'd spend a couple of hours on Saturday swapping that over, and pretend the shudder was just my imagination.

But, as I mentioned waaay back at the beginning of this thread, the V6 is a packaging horror compared to the V8, and on the FL2 2.8, the upper cat is in the way of the gearbox mount which in turn is in the way of the F125, so the downpipe has to come off. It was about this point where everything went very very wrong:

Yes, thats a snapped stud There is no way that can be repaired in the car so...

that escalated quickly At least it wasn't oily this time.

Once the engine was out I was able to safely apply some heat to the other downpipe nuts and they all came off without too much of a fight, and then I could get to the F125:

The usual burnt contacts, but this time only on the reverse terminal for the TCU. This can be cleaned and recovered and put back together, but I'll use a known-good one from stock in this instance because I don't want to be taking it apart again.

Since the gearbox is misbehaving, and its now on the floor, I might as well replace it
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	br-3.jpg
Views:	535
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	23840   Click image for larger version

Name:	BR-1.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	23841   Click image for larger version

Name:	br-2.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	23842   Click image for larger version

Name:	br-4.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	23843   Click image for larger version

Name:	br-5.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	23844  
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:37 PM

My "theory" is that the Reverse circuit is the most vulnerable in that later design F125 because it actually takes all the current for the reversing lights, rather than just an electronic signal as I guess the other circuits do.

And it's actually 2 contacts for the full circuit, but one is a continuous track with no break, so it's almost inevitably the one illustrated that will burn out.
Though there is a corresponding mark on the other track presumably from the current load.

However sods law has determined that it's the P/N circuit (starter relay, very clean on your photo) that's given up on mine......
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 3rd September 2020 at 10:42 PM.
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:47 PM

After a quick call to our sponsors I'm having deja-vu...

A 100k mile 5HP19, so only 2/3rds of what the current one has on it. It was a very sensible price too, on the basis that no one (else) is daft enough to go to the trouble of swapping the gearbox in a 2.8 A8 these days

I'll service and re-seal this before it goes back in of course. It had never been opened since new.

Very clean inside:

When the filter is removed with the gearbox in the car, the oil drops out of the oil pump pickup. This means that when it is refilled and started up the pump briefly sucks in air before it can pick up any oil. While it is expected behavior given the design of the gearbox, these things are so fragile they need all the help they can get so while its upside down I will prime the oil pickup and the filter with fresh oil.

As Prestige no longer had the converter which came with this gearbox I sent BR's original off to JP Automatic Transmissions in Bristol. They reported back that the lockup clutch piston seals had perished and the clutch friction material was badly glazed so that has been refurbished and is on its way back.

So, there was never anything wrong with the actual gearbox in the end. But, since it had to come out of the car to get to the broken F125, and be removed from the engine to get to the worn out torque converter, I'll take reducing the mileage on the gearbox by 1/3rd for what the replacement cost.

An oil change 3 years ago may or may not have averted the converter seal failure - its impossible to know. On thing is for sure - D2s do not like sitting about. They need to be used or they will go wrong out of sheer boredom!

Well, maybe two things are sure. 'It ain't broke so don't fix it' does not apply to 5HP gearboxes. It ain't broke yet so fix it before it does break.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	br-6.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	23845   Click image for larger version

Name:	br-7.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	23846   Click image for larger version

Name:	br-8.jpg
Views:	523