A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Common Faults

D3 - Common Faults Quick links to all known common faults and their solutions

Old 11th March 2015, 05:49 PM

Default Drain cleaning again

So it's been a wee while since I last done the drains on the car and it's been dry here for a few days, so thought I would get busy.

Now the car does not live under trees but I was shocked at how much twigs and leaf debris that has accumulated since I last done it.

So today I decided to attack the scuttle with a different approach, the missus had a long thin brush kicking about under the stairs that's never used so I thought I would give it a go. It's very effective as the leaf debris and stuff sticks to it and gets pulled out quite easily so using that I went at it with the brush and Hoover for about 40 mins till it was clean.

The brush was most effective going in under the plenum from driver side, and the Hoover detailing attachment was best in the passenger side down through the heater hoses.

I also had a go again at the sunroof channels cleaned them out with wet wipes as there was a fine layer of sediment, I then got the bug spray bottle out and pumped warm soapy water down the forward drain hoses and then poured more water in the drainage tray and made sure the water drained away on its own.

After all the brushing and hoovering I got boiling water and flushed the scuttle out and made sure it came down form both sides of the tunnel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File 11-03-2015 17 45 35.jpg
Views:	1535
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	10324   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-11 16.05.58.jpg
Views:	1850
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	10325   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-11 16.05.40.jpg
Views:	1617
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	10326   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-11 16.23.21.jpg
Views:	1591
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	10327   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-11 16.23.53.jpg
Views:	1276
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	10328   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-11 16.23.32.jpg
Views:	1399
Size:	407.2 KB
ID:	10329   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-11 16.24.05.jpg
Views:	1208
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	10330   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-11 16.25.02.jpg
Views:	1183
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	10331  

Last edited by Delboy; 11th March 2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11th March 2015, 11:58 PM

Get the dyson out lad, better still, get a 50 litre compressor and it will blast the lot out and esp nozzling it down sunroof and door drains for example. Very cheap plus get some air tools and u will never be afraid of heavy duty on jack stands again ! Shock don't pull init. ��
Old 12th March 2015, 08:36 AM

I would love a compressor, however I would not advise using it to clean sunroof drains, if the outlet is properly blocked you run the risk of ruptured drain tubes.

The brush and vax was quite effective just slow.

Old 12th March 2015, 02:08 PM

Good post. For the sunroof I found this video quite helpful too...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFJXX0s6PfU
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 15th March 2015, 06:52 PM

The sunroof is a pain.

My drains was blocked.
I removed the wheels, stripped the arch liner and cleaned the end of the drain tubes from the wheel side.

The ends are rubber and gets full of gunk.
Once that is out all that nasty gunky water runs down your arm.

I need to do my scuttle area as well.
That's loaded with crap.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 3rd April 2015, 02:45 PM

Found out the hard way that at least one of my rear sunroof drains are blocked. Left work yesterday and the rear seat got soaked when I went round a corner.

Same today after some rain overnight.

So just how difficult is it to gain access to the rear sunroof drains in the wheel arch.
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles
Old 3rd April 2015, 03:02 PM

Pages 96 & 97 of THIS DOCUMENT should help Manny

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 6th April 2015, 04:26 PM

Thanks Neil, took on the challenge today. Managed to get access to both sides. Assuming I was looking at the right things then both rears are clear inside the arch. So I added some water, and after all that it looks like the drivers side front is blocked. I have a photo of the outlet to add, in this picture the rear of the car is on the left of the picture.

Interestingly the strut on the drivers side rear looks like its been replaced at some point, the black ball part on the drivers side has less corrosion than the left.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1300
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	10451  
2004 D3 A8 3.7 Quattro, Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Solar Sunroof, TV, ACC, phone and almost every option. 168K miles rising slowly
with retrofit AMI and DVB-T in place of Analogue
2003 Volvo S60 D5 SE Manual, 197K miles.
2001 D2 A8 3.7 QS, Bi-Xenon, Bose, Blinds, Electric Everything, retrofitted RNS-D, 191K Miles

Last edited by mannyo; 6th April 2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 26th July 2016, 01:15 PM

Default Drains again

So recently I was up in Orkney visiting the family and typically it ****ed down while I was there, and I was unfortunate enough to find the sunroof drains had become blocked since my last cleaning.

So i managed to clear them with a bit of hose and a lot of huffing and puffing, me blowing down the drains.

I then popped the bonnet to find the scuttle area 3 inches deep in water too

Luckily I was parked on a steep hill so the water never made it inside the car through the air blower and I sucked it dry with a vax, took 3 fills of the vax to empty it

I had no tools with me so had to go to a local garage and borrow their stuff, I tried looking from below over the pit and the belly shields taken off but there is nothing to be seen down there.

I then made a long blow pipe from copper brake hose attached to a blow gun and bent the end over at 90 and fed that under the Pollen filter box and blasted hell out of it until i got the remaining water (still raining) to drain out the bottom.

Anyway since then I am back home and had a look at the drains again with nice dry weather.

With the scuttle covers off I have since found you can actually see one of the drain tube pieces on the passenger side of the car.

I then used my trusted bug spray tool that i made up for the sunroof to jet some soapy water down the hole and clean it out.

If you look in from the passenger side there is a couple of hoses and valves next to pollen filter box and if you go in through where i have in the picture you can move the hose down enough to see the drain hole.

Then you can manipulate the end of the hose down the hole and flush it through.

For the price of a bug spray bottle, don't leave your drains to chance it will bite you on the ass one day if you don't take care of them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4290.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	853.1 KB
ID:	13870   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4288.jpg
Views:	730
Size:	296.1 KB
ID:	13871   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4285.jpg
Views:	679
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	13872  

Old 26th July 2016, 11:04 PM

I was very unlucky earlier this year and discovered my cowl drain where clogged and that water was comming in both through the air fan and the seal around the air fan

So took all the carpets out for a week to dry out (both in the sun and on the bathroom floor).

Jacked up the car and used a long pin with some paper and surfex hd and cleaned the cowl drains.

Then i flushed it from above with boiling water before i used some swissvax pneu and made the drains more smooth so dirt dont stick as easy (hopefully).

I discovered that one of the metal clips holding the drains against the chassie had come loos and was clogging the one drain. Any tips on how to attach it again?

Will be checking these drains more regulary (sunroof and AC to).