A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Engine Bay

D2 - Engine Bay Everything under the bonnet

Old 17th May 2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Minor problem: the vent tube wasn't connected to the old battery (no evidence of overflow thankfully) and can't be connected to the new one.
It's missing an adapter on the end that plugs into the vent hole on the battery.

Anyone know where they can be sourced, are they a standard VAG part or eBay item?
I found an easy solution, using a connector piece for windscreen washer tubing.
Rummaging around in my "bit bucket" I found some washer plumbing from my old Ford Focus. The 90-degree connector shown below was a perfect fit into the battery vent hole and vent tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Washer90.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	18940  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 18th May 2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 17th May 2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
the old battery
As Adrian pointed out, the condition indicator was showing discharged even though it was still working (to an extent).
What uses can such a chunky battery be put to, given it's still working reasonably well, just not up to working well in an S8?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery017.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	18941  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 17th May 2018, 06:38 PM

Nice to see you too Andrew

Glad we got it sorted fairly quickly/easily

The bottle of wine is going down nicely as I type this

ATB

Adrian

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 18th May 2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
What uses can such a chunky battery be put to, given it's still working reasonably well, just not up to working well in an S8?
I think I may have found it a home.
Mate of mine recently acquired a 3.6 V8 and it has a "tiny" (and at least 15 years old) battery in it, though it does amazingly start the engine!
It's currently being repaired/fettled and he thinks this will fit and be better (for now) than what he has. And it will only ever be used occasionally so will be fully recharged before use.

So which 3.6 V8 you ask and from which era?

And the answer is (I'm telling you this time Ian!). Ford. 1950. It's a Ford V8 Pilot. Wonderful old beast and probably fairly low compression so not too difficult to turn over.
(And it does also have a starting handle, showing significant wear from being used)

Last edited by HPsauce; 18th May 2018 at 11:10 AM.

Tags
battery, failure, urgent