A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > IT, AV and other Tech

IT, AV and other Tech All computing, home cinema and technology that isnt car related

Old 12th December 2017, 07:12 PM

Thanks i'll have a look at both

Old 12th December 2017, 08:22 PM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainarssems View Post
For me only PSU has shipped last week and should be arriving today, S9 itself has not shipped yet.
Doh! Same here it seems.

That'll teach me to check the emails more closely.

I've never known them to despatch the PSU ahead of the miner before when they're both on the same order.
------------------------------------------------------

Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 12th December 2017, 08:47 PM

I had a look at them, Shapeshift doesnt do BCH just now, bittylicious wants way too much info, might as well give them the log in details for my bank while I am at it.

Guess I won't be buying a L3 anytime soon.

Had the same crap with a private seller of S9 wanting payment in Bitcoin, by the time I set up and verify accounts it was gone.

Whats wrong with a old fashioned wire transfer ffs I know I should be embracing the crypto currency but its too much faff and expense to convert from cash to what ever it is you need.

Old 12th December 2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
I had a look at them, Shapeshift doesnt do BCH just now, bittylicious wants way too much info, might as well give them the log in details for my bank while I am at it.
Ironically it's the 'old system' that imposes those restrictions on the exchanges, not cryptocurrencies. They have to adhere to Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Know Your Customer (KYC) laws when dealing with fiat currency. Cryptocurrencies threaten to change all that but you do have to jump through the usual hoops to get your money out of the fiat system of course.

Cars Owned:
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre décor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust
Old 13th December 2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delboy View Post
bittylicious wants way too much info, might as well give them the log in details for my bank while I am at it.
I used Bittylicious when buying my S9. I'd already set up an account with them when I bought my first £50 of BTC when I started this journey. They need a passport photo but then *ANYONE* dealing with fiat will....I had a look at Coinbase and they were the same and their rate was worse than with Bittylicious too, so in the end i didn't actually register my bank with them!

Deal with fiat is a pain but since most worldly things are fiat that what needs must.

I've done 3 transactions with Bittylicious and they've all gone great *IF* feeling somewhat dodgy. Oh and i'd get a bit more if going that way, say £1400 to buy something at £1350 as there's fees to send from your wallet and having a bit of change left over is a lot less hassle that having to try and buy a fivers worth later etc!

Lee

Previous :
1998 S8 PF 4.2 V8 D2 - Gearbox died ~120k
2002 S8 FL 4.2 40v V8 D2 Prins LPG - Engine valves met pistons ~230K

Also :
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0l (Post Apocalyptic makeover)
2003 Brabus Smart FourTwo (should sell)
2003 Mazda Rx8 2.3 (might sell)
Old 13th December 2017, 10:00 PM

Hi there,

My second S7 (2 cards) i brought home and tried it in my server room (tiny bedroom, holds my music server and various old tech junk. It's heated the house over the cold spell for a week or two, but it's definitely not silent even on the 33% fan i've had it on. With the door closed it's temperatures were getting a bit high (70ish). I know the limit is 80, but i'm not for overly stressing kit and temps a longevity killer too!

So i picked up a £15 TP link wifi extender with ethernet port and thought i'd try it in my internal garage. Had to use the web interface to set it up, but it's now in my garage along with the Antminer. It's somewhat cold and the garage is a less insulated space though being 3 joining walls it's also not bad.
Can't hear it inside apart from the reboot cycle and have dropped the fan to 25% and after an hour it's running at a mere 63 degrees on both cards

Summer may need adjusting but for winter i think i have a winner. I wonder if i could put a switch off that port and run a few as they take very little bandwidth....I do actually have an old BT U rack in there from an old hifi/cinema kit rack in my old house (i needed one that i could dismantle to get up stairs in this place) that has a nice power distribution block and some shelves and could make a decent mining rack and may baffle noise to the outside.....I also wonder about insulating the tin door....the garage is storage as getting an A8 in and out would be....interesting!

Previous :

Also :
Old 13th December 2017, 11:37 PM

Noob question: could you buy BCH on Bittylicious and have it sent directly to Bitmain's payment address, or does it have to go to a wallet first to then send it on?

BCH is why I haven't bought anything from Bitmain yet. The first time I tried to buy an L3+ it took so long to get GBP in to the system to buy BTC they had sold out. Then they switched to BCH so I gave up. I may have another look in January when Coinbase introduce support for BCH.
Old 14th December 2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
Noob question: could you buy BCH on Bittylicious and have it sent directly to Bitmain's payment address, or does it have to go to a wallet first to then send it on?
I must admit this is something that I wondered, however it's NOT the way i did it. Got BCH in my wallet with a bit of headroom (~£1400 rather than ~£1350 needed) and then sent it to Bitmain.

Once registered on Bittylicious with passport and stuff i had enough purchasing capacity to do it and it was surprisingly quick, so I placed a Bitmain order getting a BCH amount, made a Bittylicious transaction to my Coinomi wallet (multi currency, quick and easy, but not really long term holding). Got the BCH and then made the Bitmain transaction well within the time limits!

Whilst i could see sending from Bittylicious to Bitmain working, if something goes wrong it's more complex to unravel

Lee

Previous :

Also :
Old 14th December 2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulfilias View Post
So i picked up a £15 TP link wifi extender with ethernet port and thought i'd try it in my internal garage. Had to use the web interface to set it up, but it's now in my garage along with the Antminer. It's somewhat cold and the garage is a less insulated space though being 3 joining walls it's also not bad.
Can't hear it inside apart from the reboot cycle and have dropped the fan to 25% and after an hour it's running at a mere 63 degrees on both cards

Summer may need adjusting but for winter i think i have a winner. I wonder if i could put a switch off that port and run a few as they take very little bandwidth....
Should work. As you say, they do use very little bandwidth. Have you considered Ethernet over Mains adaptors (aka 'homeplug' or 'powerline' adaptors)? Assuming your garage is on the same phase, sending it over the mains is usually more reliable that WiFi, and can sometimes provide greater bandwidth too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkiJayne View Post
As Lee says, it should work but probably best to send it to yourself first in case anything goes wrong. It could be difficult to rectify if Bitmain claim the funds aren't received or are insufficient.

I would just buy a little more than you need; It only takes a few minutes to install and setup a new BCH wallet.

Cars Owned:

Old 14th December 2017, 11:11 AM

If you have a spare 2 hours you may find it interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sOxtBiBpE4&t=2107s