A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 1st September 2018, 08:52 PM

Default D3 Insurance

I know it has been brought up before, robbin barstewards.
We have been with Zurich for a lot of years and just asked them to change to the replacement vehicle as needed. Both of us too lazy/busy to query the price.
We always had it as Gwen being owner/driver plus me as named driver.
Renewal advice/quote has come in stating last year was £546.56.
This year £1406.88.
Needless to say I phoned them and after putting me on hold they came back and said it was due to my wife dying???????????????
They claimed that with two drivers it would be cheaper so I added my 36 year old son with 12 years no claim and they qioted £1320. He got as far as the 2 when I told him to stuff it and cancelled my automatic renewal. He was very nice and said I could always renew my automatic renewal with a phone call. Bloodie cheeky buggers. Zurich were the first car insurers I ever used, Germany 1959 for my very first car, an Opel Kapitan.
All this when I had a qoute of £300 from another company.
I knew that they would stop insuring me once I reached 80 but they did say that they had lifted that ceiling to 85 and once there they would still try to accomodate me. I did read somewhere that the government had stepped in and demanded that insurance companies dropped the 80 ceiling so this might be their way of continuing ageism.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 2nd September 2018, 12:12 PM

I have never automatically renewed. Even when my renewal is competitive, I ring up and get a little bit more off. They prey on people not bothering to shop around but it certainly pays off.
2008 (facelift) S8 with B&O, ACC, glass sunroof, reversing camera, front and rear heated seats, ceramic brakes, homelink, electric side and rear blinds, ski load through, heated fan washer jets, remote boot closing, de-flapped manifold, fridge, umbrella holder
Old 2nd September 2018, 04:43 PM

Wow, it's clear they don't want your business! I renewed this year with the naval chap (lady now in the adverts), they knocked the price down when I said I was still looking around so got it very cheap.
'00 Audi S8 Agate Grey (Sold )
'11 Audi Q7 4.2tdi Unknown Red (Classic Red Pearl Effect - thanks MJ)

Old 2nd September 2018, 05:16 PM

Shocking that Ray, glad you got sorted at a good price.

My premium was cheaper this year so I renewed with them. Lazy I know but as long as it doesn't go up I'm happy. When it does I ring up and ask why and they reduce the premium anyway

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 2nd September 2018, 06:00 PM

Sky Insurance, with whom I have been a loyal customer for many years, declined to insure the A6 this year since it wasn't modified enough I even offered to remap it and change the wheels, but they weren't interested. That was the push I needed to get a motor trade policy which insures everything I own instead
Old 2nd September 2018, 06:44 PM

In your case MJ I'm surprised you didn't have trade insurance. Best way to go for you.
Now I'm only one car, personal use only that is not the way for me. I even tried the old fogeys insurance (SAGA) but that was rather high end.
In the past I've tried retired, chaufer, coach driver, you name it and it makes pennies difference in the end. One firm wanted me to drive for them and found that their insurance wouldn't cover me. Shame really 'cos they lost the contract through that and a scroat firm picked it up. Seems strange, the guy I work for now has no insurance problems with age.
I have annual medicals and have to do eight hours classroom every year to keep my licence valid, don't understand the problem.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)
Old 3rd September 2018, 10:03 AM

very interesting !
being older than ray [ and with renewal coming up this month ] I shall have to watch my step !
and reduced premiums this year ? what happened ?
Old 3rd September 2018, 08:07 PM

My renewal was with Aviva and came in at £380. I thought I'd try some other options and ended up with A-Plan. I have a modified car policy now (even though it's not yet modified) at £387 and can now lower the car and change the exhaust.

As with MJ, they first told me the car wasn't modified enough for their policy, so I promised to modify it and they covered me! Bizarre...

Audi S8 D2 - no leaks, no creaks, 9x20's, solar sunroof... more to do
MG Maestro 2.0efi - dissolving on the drive
Old 4th September 2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebesset View Post
very interesting !
being older than ray [ and with renewal coming up this month ] I shall have to watch my step !
and reduced premiums this year ? what happened ?
Say what, older than Ray? That’s not possible surely

2007 Mini Cooper S R56

2008 D3, gone, but not forgotten after 9 years and 90k.
Old 4th September 2018, 09:35 PM

I recently moved from Aviva to Privilege and saved £200. In addition it is a more comprehensive cover and I've included my son for £12.50 whereas Aviva wanted a limb.
I have now also moved my home to them, and again saved a lot. Next our other car.
(Thanks Andrew)