A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Natter > Daily banter

Daily banter For everything, and anything that doesnt fit in elsewhere

Old 30th September 2018, 08:25 PM

Default Birthday Present - Knockhill Circuit

Just received a birthday present from my two offspring which is a performance driving experience at Knockhill (Edinburgh). Basically its 25 laps - 3 assessment, 2 demo by instructor and then 20 laps of tuition.
Any recommendations on how to prepare the car for the day? What should I check out? The brake calipers (front and rear) have been re-furbed in the last 2 years and the suspension arms etc have all been replaced over the last 20k but I still worry about brake judder when hot due to past issues (caused by stuck pads/pistons made worse by worn control arms). Pads are standard (Brembo pads front and rear) but is it worth going for EBC Red Stuff?

Any tips on how to ensure the day goes well are welcome.
Old 30th September 2018, 09:41 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Having done this on a few occasions (not knockhill),
The tips I would give you is upgrade your pads at least. I'm a fan of ferrodo DS2500 but they are not cheap. Whatever you do take the old pads with you in case you cook your pads on the track. Of course you'll need the tools to change them if you do and want to drive home!

The other tip is take an accurate tyre pressure guage. Check you pressure before you start and it's at manufacturers recommend level. After a couple of fast laps, with a bit of heat in the tyres check the pressure again. It should be approximately %10 higher. If less than lower the pressure by a couple of PSI. If it's higher than %10 increase the pressure by a couple of PSI.
It's all to do with side wall flex and deflection. To much and your tyres overheat, to little and handling will suffer.
HtHs
CtL

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 1st October 2018, 08:56 AM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

That'll be the second time that your car has done this at Knockhill - the first time during my ownership!

Because it's quite a small circuit, it's not that fast (although it can seem like it on the blind chicane!), so just go along and enjoy it! It's pretty tiring though, so be prepared to take a short break before you drive home.
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 27th May 2019, 05:14 PM

Finally got around to doing this last week. A cold and blustery day but great fun. Really learnt a thing or two about the car. Like how using the tiptronic buttons on the wheel is so much better than leaving it in auto sport. Whilst the box is OK in general use, it cannot anticipate a climbing curve. The car also really impresses with having been too late or too fast into a turn it will accept being dragged back onto the line without fuss or complaint.
The instructor thought it was fun too and was impressed by its power and handling.
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 VID-20190523-WA0007.mp4 (2.51 MB, 297 views)
Old 27th May 2019, 07:37 PM

Nice one

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 28th May 2019, 09:42 AM
RIP 27/02/2021 :-(

Looks like great fun David Would love to do that myself some day.

There's something remarkably impressive about the sight of a D2 S8 on a race track. While it's certainly no Ferrari or Lambo, it has a presence and elegance to match any grand tourer, in my opinion.
But maybe I'm just biased ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David's8 View Post
Like how using the tiptronic buttons on the wheel is so much better than leaving it in auto sport. Whilst the box is OK in general use, it cannot anticipate a climbing curve.
When I'm driving 'enthusiastically', I usually keep it in sport mode most of the time and use the tiptronic buttons to down-shift earlier into the bends, to give me a little engine-braking going in and to put me in the right gear for pulling back out of the bend. The rest of the time I find the TCU doesn't do a bad job of selecting the right gear (assuming it's in sport mode) although, as you say, there are some things it can't anticipate, such as a climbing bend.

One feature I would like to have on the tiptronic system is a way to go back to 'S' immediately after using the buttons to override the automatically selected gear. Other than to wait 30 seconds (or however long it is before it goes back to 'S' on its own), the only way I have found to force it back is to move the selector (eg into D and back to S, or to +/- mode and back). It would be nice to be able to 'resume' automatic gear selection with a single button press.
------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------
Cars Owned:
The Tesla Era: 2020 Model S Performance Ludicrous+ (present)
(Black, with all black premium interior and carbon fibre dιcor, 21" sonic carbon twin turbine wheels and FSD capability)

The Audi Era: '97 A8 4.2 (Ming Blue) --> '96 A8 4.2 QS (Dark Green) --> '02 FE S8 (present)
The Citroen Era: '84 BX 1.6 RS --> '89 BX 1.9 DTR Turbo --> '94 XM 2.0L Turbo --> '96 XM 2.0L Turbo Exclusive --> '00 Xantia Activa 2.0L Turbo
The Banger Era: '76 1.2L Lada VAZ-2101 (Ruski Fiat 124) --> '80 1.7L Morris Ital HL, finished in Ermine White and Rust

Last edited by moltuae; 28th May 2019 at 09:51 AM.
Old 28th May 2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Finally got around to doing this last week. A cold and blustery day but great fun. Really learnt a thing or two about the car. Like how using the tiptronic buttons on the wheel is so much better than leaving it in auto sport. Whilst the box is OK in general use, it cannot anticipate a climbing curve. The car also really impresses with having been too late or too fast into a turn it will accept being dragged back onto the line without fuss or complaint.
The instructor thought it was fun too and was impressed by its power and handling.
This took me back to my two 'Ring trips with Herman a few years back - which I intend to do again, now that MJ's fettled him. Using the triptronic buttons become like second nature pretty quickly (the Ring is a very long track....), the only real challenge being using them to change gear when you're also making a sharp turn .

Great fun though, and a real demonstration of the dual character of an S8.

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.
Old 28th May 2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tintin View Post
This took me back to my two 'Ring trips with Herman a few years back - which I intend to do again, now that MJ's fettled him. Using the triptronic buttons become like second nature pretty quickly (the Ring is a very long track....), the only real challenge being using them to change gear when you're also making a sharp turn .

Great fun though, and a real demonstration of the dual character of an S8.
The advice from the instructor regarding using the tiptronic buttons was to grasp the wheel at the spoke position and don't feed the wheel through your hands when cornering. There is a 130deg climbing bend on the knockhill circuit and even there you can still keep your trip and use the buttons to change gear. Your arms are crossed but you don't need to change grip👍
Old 28th May 2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
The advice from the instructor regarding using the tiptronic buttons was to grasp the wheel at the spoke position and don't feed the wheel through your hands when cornering. There is a 130deg climbing bend on the knockhill circuit and even there you can still keep your trip and use the buttons to change gear. Your arms are crossed but you don't need to change grip👍
Agreed - and that was what I did at the 'Ring, though it was a bit of a challenge in the Karousel!

Autos Autos everywhere...
(1) 2015 Tesla Model S: (was 85D, now 90D ). Silent and deadly, and very fast... But not as fast as Ian's M3P-
(2) 2002 D2 S8 Final Edition: Bulletproof and faultless: Brilliant Black with Extended (Red!) Leather. Three-times winner of Best D2 1st prize
(3) 1997 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo: Scots (! ) Green. Fragile, but beautiful.
(4) 2010 Fiat Panda 100HP. White Pandamonium (Final Edition!!). Pure old-fashioned 6-speed go-karting.